Shortest flight Chiang Mai to LAX

seesip

I believe LAX is the closest west coast destination but I'd opt for San Francisco or Seattle if they were closer. Looking at cm-bkk-taipei-lax on Eva Air, and it looks like the Taipei-LAX leg is about 10 hours. Anything shorter? Hoping to limit the long haul airtime as much as possible.

C.M.-Seoul-LAX on Korean Air. one of the best airlines i have ever flown. very comfortable, delicious Korean food, crew takes very good care of passengers. excellent service. layover in Seoul and they give you a small room to sleep a few hours, take a shower....all free and very clean and comfortable there.

C.M.-Seoul-LAX on Korean Air. one of the best airlines i have ever flown. very comfortable, delicious Korean food, crew takes very good care of passengers. excellent service. layover in Seoul and they give you a small room to sleep a few hours, take a shower....all free and very clean and comfortable there.

My son used that route last year and was very happy with Korean Air.

Only problem was the long wait in Seoul (7-8 hours) and a room there was not included.

Only problem was the long wait in Seoul (7-8 hours) and a room there was not included.

The room is about $16 or $18 an hour with a 6 hour minimum. I was not feeling well when I flew over in August.

the room is free if you are flying first class. Which I am not. Would be nice if they had a premium economy like EVA. Eva is about 11 to 12 hours to Seattle from Taipei. Been awhile. I understand your wanting to minimize the air time. I always wish they could stop some where for a coffee break.

^ Ah okay. I was wondering why someone might do all kinds of weird connections just to limit the duration of the long haul. :)

Normally you'd try to reduce the number of stops, and just settle in for the duration for the long haul.

Typically from Chiang Mai that means avoiding a stop in Bangkok, so basically connecting in Taiwan, Hong Kong or Seoul as all those places have direct flights from Chiang Mai.

For Seoul it'd be Korean Air, for Hong Kong it'd be Cathay, and then Taiwan would be either Eva or China Airlines.

^ Ah okay. I was wondering why someone might do all kinds of weird connections just to limit the duration of the long haul. smile.png

Normally you'd try to reduce the number of stops, and just settle in for the duration for the long haul.

Typically from Chiang Mai that means avoiding a stop in Bangkok, so basically connecting in Taiwan, Hong Kong or Seoul as all those places have direct flights from Chiang Mai.

For Seoul it'd be Korean Air, for Hong Kong it'd be Cathay, and then Taiwan would be either Eva or China Airlines.

There are a number of health issues that have been related to long haul flights so reducing the duration can be of interest for reasons beyond smoking.

Ah yes, DVT being one. I always perambulate and stretch on long haul, and lots of fluids.

I always drink lots of fluids, but probably the wrong ones, but at least they lead to lots of perambulation....

Yes - drink lots of alcohol as whilst this is against current health advice I find it leads to somnambulation. Which is advantageous in every way.

I'm a big China Airlines fan. The connection in Taipei is one of the quicker ones, usually only about an hour, and unlike Incheon, Taoyuen is a relatively small airport, no trekking miles between terminals.

China Airlines now flies 777 between both SFO & LAX and the service is great. I have found that the LAX route often has better prices than SFO, so check both.

Paid about $55 for 6 hours last December. It's less if you make a reservation. Nice room.

The room is about $16 or $18 an hour with a 6 hour minimum. I was not feeling well when I flew over in August.

the room is free if you are flying first class. Which I am not. Would be nice if they had a premium economy like EVA. Eva is about 11 to 12 hours to Seattle from Taipei. Been awhile. I understand your wanting to minimize the air time. I always wish they could stop some where for a coffee break.

i guess they didn't like you. Korean Air gave us and friends of ours the room for free (flying economy). you have to be a member of their flight program and you must ask for it 30 days in advance and they email you with the confirmation.

I recently flew China Airlines from BKK to LAX and believe it or not, it was very nice. Better than the last long haul flight I made with Emirates.

i did that one once but the Taipei layover is a killer and there is nothing to do. Korean Air gives free small room and shower, and there is lots to do at the airport. it's like a mall.

Not a smoker but I usually don't sleep very long so prefer to break it up so the longest legs aren't too long. I see some of the advertised flights can vary dramatically depending on routes. Still thinking EVA from Taipei to LAX is the top option and may go super economy. Wish Korean air offered super economy because I like the Seoul to Lax option but doesn't look like they do. Will check out Narita to Seattle also. Thanks.

Like bkkdreaming said "Head West" Emirates or Etihad. I think they have stops in NYC plus DC. I'm going bkk to a Gulf State hub and then non stop to San Fran in May. It's like 16 hours non stop.....That's going to be a killer.

Emirates flys A380s and there are a few premium seats with extra legroom but I think you either pay extra or book well in advance.

Plus, I'll be able to say "I've flown around the world"

Edited by JohnOFphon

If you can't get a room at the Inchon airport, they have some areas upstairs that are dim and quiet with reclining chairs and what seems to be white noise piped in. I had a long-layover there once and had no problem getting some sleep with earplugs and a mask. There are free showers nearby. All free. Also there is a big room, kind of like a first-class lounge but with better food and crummier reading material where you pay a flat fee (I think about $26) and can hang out for up to 6 hours. You can stretch that into two meals and it includes free beer and maybe wine (I don't remember)

All-in-all a very pleasant place for a long-layover.

I've done Bangkok to JFK direct. (Back when Thai Airways still had aspirations of being a useful airline). THAT was long haul. wink.png

These days mostly do Hong Kong -> JFK, also because I really dislike the middle distances the most. Like when you fly Thailand to Korea or Japan, it's really not long enough to get some quality sleep, but really long to just sit there. I feel the same about routes that involve a coast-to-coast USA flight, those really are to be avoided at all costs.

But CNX-HKG is a nice short hop, and then you just have one big one to look forward to, with plenty movies, drugs and alcohol.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I've done Bangkok to JFK direct. (Back when Thai Airways still had aspirations of being a useful airline). THAT was long haul. wink.png

These days mostly do Hong Kong -> JFK, also because I really dislike the middle distances the most. Like when you fly Thailand to Korea or Japan, it's really not long enough to get some quality sleep, but really long to just sit there. I feel the same about routes that involve a coast-to-coast USA flight, those really are to be avoided at all costs.

But CNX-HKG is a nice short hop, and then you just have one big one to look forward to, with plenty movies, drugs and alcohol.

Drugs???? Which airline? KLM?

Drugs???? Which airline? KLM?

Haha, from Phanu clinic.