Match-fixing allegations taint world tennis

webfact

Match-fixing allegations taint world tennis

606x341_321529.jpg

LONDON: -- Tennis is the latest sport to become embroiled in allegations of cheating as evidence of suspected match-fixing at the highest level of world tennis including at Wimbledon has come to light.

Over the last decade sixteen players ranked at one point in their careers in the top 50 have been repeatedly flagged to the tennis integrity unit (TIU) over suspicions that they have thrown matches. All of the players have been allowed to continue competing.

The evidence has been revealed in secret files given to the BBC and BuzzFeed News.

The documents also point to the existence of betting syndicates in Russia, northern Italy and Sicily making hundreds of thousands of euros betting on allegedly fixed games.

The TIU which was set up to police the sport says it has a zero tolerance approach to betting-related corruption.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-18

This has been going on since the 1970s--at least--when the money started to get really big. But it's worse in soccer than tennis.

The reports says the last 10 years. You say the last 40 years. Who should I believe ? I hope Jimmy Connors and Johnny Mac. come and kick your ass.

This has been going on since the 1970s--at least--when the money started to get really big. But it's worse in soccer than tennis.

The reports says the last 10 years. You say the last 40 years. Who should I believe ? I hope Jimmy Connors and Johnny Mac. come and kick your ass.

Connors still might. But McEnroe's cocaine use has probably caught up with him by now, and I could probably take him.

I was a major tennis fan back in the day when Mac and Conners ruled the courts. I watched every match of theirs that I could. I watched the fire and the passion for the game in their every stroke of the ball, in every move they made. You can't buy that. After they retired, for me, tennis just wasn't the same. Too many new "robotic" players without the fire and determination that Mac and Conners had. Now days I can't even remember the last tennis match I watched.

The money is simply too big now, and for someone who knows they are not going to win a specific match they can take just as much earnings as the winner. Throwing in a bad game at a critical point to cause a syndicate to win huge money is simple. Even 'twisting' an ankle or pulling a hamstring and being unable to continue can win massive money for the shrewd (corrupt) betting syndicate. I doubt there is a single sport that is untouched.