Phuket officials probe beach entry fee payments

webfact

Phuket officials probe beach entry fee payments
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1453096476_1.jpg
The beach chairs and sunbeds (since removed) on Laem Sing Beach. Now, Phuket officials have another problem. Photo: Thanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Authorities are investigating what to do after learning that beachgoers were charged B20 for access to Laem Sing, a public beach.

Officials from the Royal Thai Navy 3rd Command learned about the issue while removing over 100 sunbeds and beach chairs from Laem Sing Beach on Saturday morning (January 16).

Acting on an anonymous tip, authorities removed the sunbeds and beach chairs – all of which came from nine different beach operators – because Laem Sing is not part of the 10 per cent zoning beach management plan.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-probe-beach-entry-fee-payments-55827.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-18

Sure the beach is public, but not the access to the beach. The owners of the access land have every right to charge to cross their land. The chairs and brollies on the land is another matter and illegal.

Not necessarily true, in many such instances the owner of the land is required by law to allow people to walk over his/her land to access other pieces of land including beaches.

The law concerned here is often called 'right of way', or 'right of access'.

Sure the beach is public, but not the access to the beach. The owners of the access land have every right to charge to cross their land. The chairs and brollies on the land is another matter and illegal.

uh no, that is what the government is saying

Forgive me for asking, but I am just a dumb Falang living up in the middle of Issan. Is this photo representative of the magnificent beaches we hear so much about in your neck of the woods? It doesn't look very impressive, but then again my perspective is not very worldly.

The government officiaqls are saying they don't know what to do ...

'Right of Way' here in Thailand - not so sure about that.

I know a number of cases where land was bought only to find that there was no access rights to that land.

Edited by LivinginKata

The government officiaqls are saying they don't know what to do ...

'Right of Way' here in Thailand - not so sure about that.

I know a number of cases where land was bought only to find that there was no access rights to that land.

Well, another question would be how they could obtain land titles for the land between the beach and the road which is basically a steep slope.

And yea sometimes there is property without access rights to it but you can most likely request such rights to be put in place via Land Office and/or court.

Well why don't they move to Paradise Beach off Patong where the operator charges up to 500 Bath with one Drink included.

Without paying this charge nobody is even allowed to enter the Beach area. It is always the small Fry they are after.

Forgive me for asking, but I am just a dumb Falang living up in the middle of Issan. Is this photo representative of the magnificent beaches we hear so much about in your neck of the woods? It doesn't look very impressive, but then again my perspective is not very worldly.

You really shouldn't denigrate yourself on social media like that. Leave it for others to do.

Here's another perspective of the beach without the sunbeds:

post-18822-0-18119100-1453171281_thumb.j

Well why don't they move to Paradise Beach off Patong where the operator charges up to 500 Bath with one Drink included.

Without paying this charge nobody is even allowed to enter the Beach area. It is always the small Fry they are after.

I second wolfjob, when I saw the headline I thought for sure they were talking about Paradise Beach.

Anyway, what a mess all that makes of the beach, terrible.

"The chairs and brollies on the land is another matter and illegal." - don't you mean the "chair and brollies on the beach?"

I believe the land owner would be entitled to run a sun lounge and umbrella business on their land, even a bar and restaurant, provided it was on their land that fronts the beach, and not on the beach itself.

So, where does the beach end and their land start, or where does their land end and the beach start?

"The chairs and brollies on the land is another matter and illegal." - don't you mean the "chair and brollies on the beach?"

I believe the land owner would be entitled to run a sun lounge and umbrella business on their land, even a bar and restaurant, provided it was on their land that fronts the beach, and not on the beach itself.

So, where does the beach end and their land start, or where does their land end and the beach start?

Land, sea or air. Into which of these three categories does a beach fall?

Land, sea or air. Into which of these three categories does a beach fall?

With baht, you can change their category. Eg. beach can become land. :)

According to the government you would be incorrect. Thais cannot setup chairs or umbrellas anywhere they want anymore. They cannot have unregistered businesses either. There was a recent article posted here about the problem with illegal tourist businesses in Phuket. Im sure they have a definition of what is a beach but, should be easy for anybody to figure that out for themselves.

According to the government you would be incorrect. Thais cannot setup chairs or umbrellas anywhere they want anymore. They cannot have unregistered businesses either. There was a recent article posted here about the problem with illegal tourist businesses in Phuket. Im sure they have a definition of what is a beach but, should be easy for anybody to figure that out for themselves.

I'm not talking about the beach.

I am talking about privately owned beach front land. Legitimately purchased (or as best you can on Phuket) and with a land ownership deed of title.

Basically, this private land that people have to walk through to get to the beach.

Sure, using your land ownership to charge an "access fee" is unethical, but I'm not sure if it's illegal. Without the payment of an "access fee" aren't all these foreigners walking across the private land, trespassing, therefore, breaking the law themselves?

In relation to running a business on that land, I am talking about the private land owner hiring out sun chairs and umbrellas, selling beer and food etc on THEIR land, not on the beach, and if their land is on the boundary of the public owned beach, how is it illegal, granted the business is registered etc?

it is fully illegal and several other beach operations have been shut down and demolished for doing the same thing which is setting up chairs on the beach and charging people entry fees etc. If the people want to set up chairs in the jungle up to them. Bottom line is the government has said they cannot do this and as usual, the thais ignore all rules and do what they want.

now if they would only go to freedom beach and stop that mess also!

we know,

the beaches in Isaan are much better and impressive 5555555

it is fully illegal and several other beach operations have been shut down and demolished for doing the same thing which is setting up chairs on the beach and charging people entry fees etc. If the people want to set up chairs in the jungle up to them. Bottom line is the government has said they cannot do this and as usual, the thais ignore all rules and do what they want.

"If the people want to set up chairs in the jungle up to them." - so now you finally understand what I am saying.

Look at the photo in the OP. See all that jungle, among some nice palm trees? Somewhere in that photo, or just off camera, is PRIVATELY OWNED land. Let's say the owner of that land clears out the jungle, leaves the palm trees, and puts some grass down.

Why would it be illegal for the owner to set up umbrellas and sun chairs, and server drinks and food, given it's a registered business?

Customers step off the privately owned land, onto the public beach, and walk to the water.

Are you saying it's illegal to own beach front land here?

Edited by NamKangMan

"If the people want to set up chairs in the jungle up to them." - so now you finally understand what I am saying.

Look at the photo in the OP. See all that jungle, among some nice palm trees? Somewhere in that photo, or just off camera, is PRIVATELY OWNED land. Let's say the owner of that land clears out the jungle, leaves the palm trees, and puts some grass down.

Why would it be illegal for the owner to set up umbrellas and sun chairs, and server drinks and food, given it's a registered business?

Customers step off the privately owned land, onto the public beach, and walk to the water.

Are you saying it's illegal to own beach front land here?

You really misunderstand what people are saying here....Sure go ahead and put up your chairs, umbrellas and fufu drinks on your land no problem. I have no issue with that. Just make sure the business is legal. (recent article said that I believe 50% of all "tourist businesses" were not registered and illegal.

First no one has said the business is legal. 2nd why is it so difficult to see from the pic that what they were doing was ILLEGAL and got caught.

Seriously, do you live near a beach area and really understand the problems and corruption associated with these beach cowboys?

@ LIK and 2fishin2

It's obvious from the photo in the OP the "business" is set up on the beach. Yes, it's illegal. No argument from me.

The problem is, in true Thai style, they want money coming in, without any money going out.

What we see in the photo would be completely legal if it was happening 20 m back from the high tide line, as per LIK's information, but the owner of the land doesn't want to clear it, and the beach chair / umbrella people don't want to pay fee or commission to the owner to operate on private land.

Instead, the owner charges an "access fee" which is legally questionable, as per this thread title, and the chair / umbrella people set up illegally on a public beach. Both have money coming in, for no expense.

Easy to make what you see in the photo legal, but no, that would cost more money than a monthly payment to a corrupt official.

It appears the local here truly believe they are above the law.

What's next, posting Thai naval personnel on the beaches from dawn to dusk?

<snip>

It appears the local here truly believe they are above the law.

But they are Thai. They believe it's their right to use the beach/land.

I hear it all the time - 'we are Thai' .... to justify much dubious behaviour.

'we are Thai' .... to justify much dubious behaviour." - I think that sums it up pretty well. biggrin.png

With an attitude like that, no wonder Thailand is falling behind.

Some much potential for prosperity being p*ssed away here.

I wonder what the generation of today will tell their children, when it's all gone.

Usually the maximum high tide mark

I read on the local news source that no longer exists, that the access land to the beach is owned by Channel 7 Thailand. I'm not sure what the access laws are here, there are places like Paradise Beach that seem to charge to use their land to access a public beach (which they act like is theirs) and Nui Beach, around the corner from Kata Noi. Then there's the beach at Le Maridien, where they usually grant you access, especially if you have a drink or a bite to eat.

There have been lengthy legal battles In California making property owners allow the public access to what they considered their private beaches, the owners lost every time. I wonder if we'll ever read the outcome of this case as there never seems to be a follow up story on much of anything we read in the news around here!