Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Would a Jeep Wrangler Pickup be the best possible vehicle to own in Thailand ?

Lumbini

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't imagine why in the world anyone would ever want a pickup. Unless you're a builder.

Perhaps your imagination needs to be enhanced, and, er, imagine a bit more...

A better response might have been to ask what the poster drives - there's a possibility a current model pickup beats it on every criteria :P

I owned many Jeep Wranglers back in the states and had more fun with those cars than all of the exotic sports cars I ever owned . it was a game changer and being able to take top off seems now I'm here like perfect care for Thailand and the beach attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1453158607.059909.jpg

Better off buying a load of lemons and you'll get more value out of lemons than Jeep

It seems to me that all the OP is actually saying is - "Give boy Tonka toy", "I want" - hardly the basis for an intelligent discussion.

If the OP wanted a Tonka toy he would not even consider the steaming pile of excrement known as JEEP.

If you don't like this Jeep or ALL Jeeps why not try and articulate your objections rather than just hurl insults in its direction. This looks like becoming one of the most facile threads on the motoring section.

There could be and interesting discussion bout what vehicles you use in Thai;and

or

What 4x4s are best for use in Thailand etc etc.......but at present there seems no real arguments put forward at all.

C'mon Girls All cars/4x4 are good,,,, The thing is it depend what you are going to use it for.Sand and Dune driving Get a Hummer Driving around town and a dirt road sometimes You could get a Suzuki to do that,,,,If you want to Show of get a Merc 4x4/Bmw4x4/Ferrari4x4,,,Get my Drift? They all drive thumbsup.gif

The only thing a Hummer is good for is making the driver look like a total bellend. Even worse than the crap Jeep puts out.

Can't imagine why in the world anyone would ever want a pickup. Unless you're a builder.

2 vehicles in my household. A pickup and a sedan. The sedan is not all that good for taking my dirt bike up in the bush on the weekends.

The only thing a Hummer is good for is making the driver look like a total bellend. Even worse than the crap Jeep puts out.

I am curious about how many of aforementioned vehicles you have owned.

It seems you have pretty strong opinions about them; I am wondering if they are based on experience.

In the interests of disclosure:

My current fleet in USA:

- 2013 Ford F150 Supercab 4x4 - My daily driver when I am in USA. I bought this at the end of year 2013. So far I count it among the best vehicles I have owned.

- 2004 Chev SIlverado 1500 4x4 - This is another good one. It was my daily driver for two years until I bought the F150. Now my son has this one at University. 160xxx miles and running strong.

- 1992 Jeep Wrangler - This was my daily driver from 1995 until the end of 2012 when I bought the above mentioned Silverado. I got old tired of driving this one on fairly frequent trips between Dallas, TX and South Dakota (870 miles each way). For its age it has held up very well; it has taken nothing but maintenance items to keep this one running.

In Thailand I have the requisite Toyota Prerunner 4 door (2008 model), and also a 2005 Hilux Vigo "dumb cab". I have no complaints about either of these.

Previous vehicles since 1977 have included a mix of Chevrolets and Fords, and a very beat up well used Jeep CJ5 that got me through University. As well, my family was (still is, actually) in the new and used automobile business, so I had opportunities to drive just about everything, either in new or used form.

I have not owned a Jeep newer than the one I have, and have very limited experience driving anything newer, other than a test drive in a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited. It was a nice enough vehicle, but I did not buy it (I ended up with the F150 instead).

I can say that family and friends that have the newer Wranglers (JK models) really like them. I have no reason to think they are being less than truthful.

Hummer - I cannot disagree with your view. Pops had one at the dealership for a bit; we all got to try it out. I was not impressed.

edited - cleaned up some ugly formatting

Experience of not wanting to look like a bellend?

Naah....we were all young at one time and did that (looked like a bellend) without even trying biggrin.png , even though we were oblivious and thought we were the shit.

Being a gearhead from way back, I am always interested in people's experiences with different vehicles.

I've had the misfortune of being a passenger in a pickup a few times. Best way to describe the experience is TORTURE. I imagine I'll avoid ever having to repeat that torture.

I've had the misfortune of being a passenger in a pickup a few times. Best way to describe the experience is TORTURE. I imagine I'll avoid ever having to repeat that torture.

Drawing blanket conclusions from limited experience is never a good idea.

The first few years here I had a Vigo 4dr 4x4 3.0 A/T short bed & it was the perfect rig for driving plus the now and then Global/Home Pro run....

Unless you're worried about the red carpet limo line or safe people (many) hauling it was the perfect utility rig for Thailand....

For tactical traffic anticipation I prefer the high ride height to see around and over other vehicles instead of staring at their trunks....We have an SUV and a Civic - never feel as safe in the Civic - for multiple reasons.....Starting with impact safety.....

In the US had 2 SUV's & a Lexus sport car.....On the open road it was fun but preferred the 4x's for 95% of the driving conditions.....

Your ideas on impact safety are of course completely wrong.

Some people have obviously never driven or even rode in the new pickups. I had a Nissan pickup and a Ford Focus. During my fairly frequent trips from Loei to Jomtien, I always drove the car. I now have a 2015 Isuzu 4X4 with a 3.0 liter turbo diesel. I now prefer to drive the 4X4 on the trips to Jomtien. Thai built pickup trucks have come a long way in just the past few years as far as ride and driving comfort. As a matter of fact, I will never buy another car.

The first few years here I had a Vigo 4dr 4x4 3.0 A/T short bed & it was the perfect rig for driving plus the now and then Global/Home Pro run....

Unless you're worried about the red carpet limo line or safe people (many) hauling it was the perfect utility rig for Thailand....

For tactical traffic anticipation I prefer the high ride height to see around and over other vehicles instead of staring at their trunks....We have an SUV and a Civic - never feel as safe in the Civic - for multiple reasons.....Starting with impact safety.....

In the US had 2 SUV's & a Lexus sport car.....On the open road it was fun but preferred the 4x's for 95% of the driving conditions.....

I'll take my chances based on my observations and making my living in the automotive sector for 30+ years....Including fatal accident investigations.....On vehicle to vehicle impact the theory of mass is seldom proven incorrect....If you study the actuarials you'd find smaller car have an 18 to 1 chance of having a fatal accident = 18 die in small cars versus 1 fatality in larger vehicles.....

I'll take my chances based on my observations and making my living in the automotive sector for 30+ years....Including fatal accident investigations.....On vehicle to vehicle impact the theory of mass is seldom proven incorrect....If you study the actuarials you'd find smaller car have an 18 to 1 chance of having a fatal accident = 18 die in small cars versus 1 fatality in larger vehicles.....

Incorrect - it is design and sock absorption abilities that determine how safe a car is. Mass can have detrimental effects on other vehicles and if your theory were true it would mean that an Oldsmobile from the 1950s would be safer than a Camry.

Incorrect - it is design and sock absorption abilities that determine how safe a car is. Mass can have detrimental effects on other vehicles and if your theory were true it would mean that an Oldsmobile from the 1950s would be safer than a Camry.

Good try.....You can build in crumple zones/air bags/tank shields and the theory of mass still prevails.....Ever see those pictures of vehicles just raked over and leveled making the aluminum flattened? Nevermind the cars with the plastic skinned doors.....

Don't even start on a Camry → my daughter was killed in one on a highway.....If she had been driving your old Olds or either one of my SUVs she'd be alive today to help us debate for arguments sake.....

You grab a Camry - I'll grab a Vigo/Izuzu/Mits/Ford 4x4 and you can run into me or I run into you both doing 60kph in a head on and let's see who walks away the better for it.....

Good try.....You can build in crumple zones/air bags/tank shields and the theory of mass still prevails.....Ever see those pictures of vehicles just raked over and leveled making the aluminum flattened? Nevermind the cars with the plastic skinned doors.....

Don't even start on a Camry → my daughter was killed in one on a highway.....If she had been driving your old Olds or either one of my SUVs she'd be alive today to help us debate for arguments sake.....

You grab a Camry - I'll grab a Vigo/Izuzu/Mits/Ford 4x4 and you can run into me or I run into you both doing 60kph in a head on and let's see who walks away the better for it.....

Really????

think again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptUrQOMPs

Really????

think again!

If I were driving a 1959 Chevy I would be worried....

Our discussion in a Vigo/Izuzu/Mits/Ford 4x4 SUV versus your Camry → which follows the topic line of this thread....

Not Malibu vrs a 59 Chevy....

The Camry would be flattened and raked right over - driver included....

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/05/suvs-are-safer-than-cars-in-front-crashes-but-there-is-more-to-the-story/index.htm

Here → SUV versus car results....The car driver is 7x's more likely to die....4.5x's if the highest safety rated car.....

we must not forget ', and such parameters that help to avoid accidents:
the length of the braking distance
handeling
stability of the car on the road
resistate to rollover

"Just because a big, heavy vehicle has the advantage in a head-on with a smaller, lighter one, it doesn't mean that lighter vehicles are unsafe." wink.png

this dispute some funny

as dispute someone stronger than Rambo or Terminator
wai.gif

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/05/suvs-are-safer-than-cars-in-front-crashes-but-there-is-more-to-the-story/index.htm

Here → SUV versus car results....The car driver is 7x's more likely to die....4.5x's if the highest safety rated car.....

we must not forget ', and such parameters that help to avoid accidents:

the length of the braking distance

handeling

stability of the car on the road

resistate to rollover

"Just because a big, heavy vehicle has the advantage in a head-on with a smaller, lighter one, it doesn't mean that lighter vehicles are unsafe." wink.png

this dispute some funny

as dispute someone stronger than Rambo or Terminator

wai.gif

You're <deleted> in a Camry then. Worst brakes I've ever experienced in a supposedly modern car.

I'll stick with my crappy truck (the one with a heater).

You're fekked in a Camry then. Worst brakes I've ever experienced in a supposedly modern car.

How much the length of the braking distance your truck?wink.png

I do not like camry 2.4 VX 40 what you try.

what that car rattle with a weak engine and the poor quality of the interior - can say.cheesy.gif

but the brakes.
And hadeling its better than most trucks.biggrin.png

You're <deleted> in a Camry then. Worst brakes I've ever experienced in a supposedly modern car.

How much the length of the braking distance your truck?wink.png

I do not like camry 2.4 VX 40 what you try.

what that car rattle with a weak engine and the poor quality of the interior - can say.cheesy.gif

but the brakes.

And hadeling its better than most trucks.biggrin.png

The Camry seems to have a braking distance from 60mph of about 180ft. I think my truck is prolly about 115ft.

Really????

think again!

If I were driving a 1959 Chevy I would be worried....

Our discussion in a Vigo/Izuzu/Mits/Ford 4x4 SUV versus your Camry → which follows the topic line of this thread....

Not Malibu vrs a 59 Chevy....

The Camry would be flattened and raked right over - driver included....

You clearly don'y understand the first thing about crash safety and shock absoption.......if you want to discuss this it is a good idea to get up to speed on current road safety and car construction.

The Camry seems to have a braking distance from 60mph of about 180ft. I think my truck is prolly about 115ft.

you kidding me?

Braking distance on dry pavement

Feet from 60 to 0 mph

Shortest
Model Feet Sports/Sporty cars Porsche Boxster 112 Small cars Subaru Impreza WRX 125 Family cars Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 128 Upscale/luxury cars Hyundai Genesis 3.8 125 Small SUVs Hyundai Tucson GLS 129 Midsized SUVs Cadillac SRX Luxury 126 Acura MDX 126

biggrin.png

thumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

Archived