Would a Jeep Wrangler Pickup be the best possible vehicle to own in Thailand ?

Lumbini

Would a Jeep Wrangler Pickup be the best possible vehicle to own in Thailand ?

I would have to say YES !! ( if Thailand did not spoil the opportunity with a ridiculous import tax making the Ford Ranger Wide Track 4X4 the next choice [emoji780]

http://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/lifestyle-post-202056-14531323646851_thumb.jpgvehicles/75764119/british-jeep-wrangler-doublecab-ute-to-launch-in-new-zealand

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Land Rover Defender ( a vehicle that has evolved for many decades just like the jeep ) my first choice till I saw the import tax that is over twice what vehicle is in the UK or US . That tax is just throwing away $ and cars like Ford made in Thailand have no added tax so seem to be best deal but not best car .

I owned many Jeep Wranglers back in the states and had more fun with those cars than all of the exotic sports cars I ever owned . it was a game changer and being able to take top off seems now I'm here like perfect care for Thailand and the beach

No-one has siad a single word as to WHY a JEEP or any other would be "the best possible vehicle to own" - Myself I think a /vios would be better than anything mentioned largely due to the economical running costs and more comfortable ride.

Depends on usage I guess.

A 4x4 type vehicle is going to be a lot better offroad than a Vios. On the other hand the Vios would be the better vehicle for urban driving.

Of course it does - to suggest that one vehicle that is barely available in Thailand is "the best" in a country like Thailand is so simplistic as to be childish.........and to suggest that one brand of 4x4 pick up could be a substitute for a Jeep is equally daft. the 2 vehicles are jut barely comparable.

It seems to me that all the OP is actually saying is - "Give boy Tonka toy", "I want" - hardly the basis for an intelligent discussion.

It seems to me that all the OP is actually saying is - "Give boy Tonka toy", "I want" - hardly the basis for an intelligent discussion.

If the OP wanted a Tonka toy he would not even consider the steaming pile of excrement known as JEEP.

If the OP wanted a Tonka toy he would not even consider the steaming pile of excrement known as JEEP.

If you don't like this Jeep or ALL Jeeps why not try and articulate your objections rather than just hurl insults in its direction. This looks like becoming one of the most facile threads on the motoring section.

There could be and interesting discussion bout what vehicles you use in Thai;and

or

What 4x4s are best for use in Thailand etc etc.......but at present there seems no real arguments put forward at all.

The "best possible" suggests an absolute judgement, without considerations as to the price, service, economy, ease to drive in town etc.

Then my vote would be the Range Rover

Sure it's expensive and big but for the roads in Thailand it's perfect. Comfortable and (with the diesel engine) actually gets a quite good in mileage.

Basically Thai rung are "plastic" bodied styling exercises built on pickup chassis.....at present they appear to be using the Vigo and isuzu brands, but they have used Nissan as well as others.

Built to look like a Hummer they appear to have no special 4x4 characteristics over the original picks. So why one would want one apart from styling that clearly states"Owner is a prat", I can't see the attraction.

The "best possible" suggests an absolute judgement, without considerations as to the price, service, economy, ease to drive in town etc.

Then my vote would be the Range Rover

Sure it's expensive and big but for the roads in Thailand it's perfect. Comfortable and (with the diesel engine) actually gets a quite good in mileage.

"The "best possible" suggests an absolute judgement, without considerations as to the price," - you make a fallacious premise and then immediately contradict yourself......"with the diesel engine) actually gets a quite good in mileage"

the fact is it is a totally SUBJECTIVE argument.

I would suggest that for the vast majority of people in Thailand a 4x4 with "off-road" capability is a waste of time.

To even suggest the one and only one vehicle is "best" for Thailand is totally facile - what people ar actually saying ere is what their favorite vehicle is......and without any real back up to boot.

If you don't like this Jeep or ALL Jeeps why not try and articulate your objections rather than just hurl insults in its direction. This looks like becoming one of the most facile threads on the motoring section.

There could be and interesting discussion bout what vehicles you use in Thai;and

or

What 4x4s are best for use in Thailand etc etc.......but at present there seems no real arguments put forward at all.

Would you like some tissues ?

or

Would you like some tissues ?

QED

Yes, a Jeep Wangler is needed on the streets of Bangkok and other Thai cities/towns...on flat, paved city streets & sois the Wangler would do a very effective job of running over motorcycles, taxis, and pedestrians.

Yes, a Jeep Wangler is needed on the streets of Bangkok and other Thai cities/towns...on flat, paved city streets & sois the Wangler would do a very effective job of running over motorcycles, taxis, and pedestrians.

Not to mention that lovely tight turning circle for those confined u-turns and ease of parking

I have owned 2 Jeep Wranglers in Thailand as well as a Cherokee, these all have proved to be trouble free, comfortable rides, returning on a decent run 6.5 kilometers per liter on LPG, very capable 4 wheel drive, driven over some difficult 4 wheel trails in Laos, forded deep streams.

You feel confident driving one of these, knowing it will get you where you want to go, a well built strong vehicle.

Spares if needed can be bought over the internet from The States very cheaply, also from Suckhumvit Road Pattaya.

Tom

I had a Jeep pickup when I lived in the US. It had had a V-8, automatic transmission and full time four wheel drive. The first experience with the 4X4 was in the sand. It was like a bucking bronco. The front would jump up and then the back would jump up. I would have thought the both axles would pull at the same time. I was farming at the time and used it to pull grain wagons out of the fields and to the elevator to sell. I was pulling a loaded wagon up a little incline and it sounded like an explosion from under the truck. I unhooked the wagon and everything seemed OK. I took it to the Jeep dealer and was told that I should not be pulling anything heavy with it. I went back home after buying a repair manual from the book store. After I got everything apart, I found that the chain, about three inches wide had stretched enough for it to jump a tooth. I installed a new chain and sold the sad piece of crap and bought a 4X4 Dodge. No more full time 4X4's for me.

Archived