Bangkok's Huai Khwang market vendors protest eviction

webfact

Huai Khwang Market Vendors Protest City Eviction
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14531190831453119120l.jpg
Huai Khwang market vendors wear yellow shirts at a Monday protest against City Hall’s decision to evict them from the sidewalks where some have operated for three decades.

BANGKOK — It’s a routine that’s become predictably familiar: City moves in to clear sidewalks, vendors cry foul, vendors leave.

On Monday morning it played out on streets near Huai Khwang intersection, an area that for 30 decades has been a lively area famous for cheap street food and fashion, with vendors protesting a City Hall announcement this morning that from this day forth, all stalls on the sidewalks of the night market have to go.

At least 100 vendors in yellow shirts gathered to protest this morning, saying they were not happy with a nearby, indoor location the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, or BMA, encouraged them to relocate to.

The BMA said it notified vendors in May 2015 it had revoked their permission to operate on the sidewalk, saying it had received many complaints about the market.

BMA officials this morning launched their effort to clear both sides along Pracha Uthit and Pracha Songkhro roads as part of its ongoing campaign to reclaim public space.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453119083&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-19

Move them on and move them out.

Sidewalks are for pedestrians, market spaces are for vendors.

Hear, hear, we moto riders also want our sidewalks back, the audacity of those vendors

to occupy the footpath making it difficult for moto riders to ride on them against the traffic....

Once they are finished with the street markets I think they need to close a few golf courses and other places the rich go and let the street markets go there ?

Why is there a horse racing track right in the middle of the city ? Have you ever seen a horse there ?

time to give Happieness back to the people , and not just the rich people......

Once they are finished with the street markets I think they need to close a few golf courses and other places the rich go and let the street markets go there ?

Why is there a horse racing track right in the middle of the city ? Have you ever seen a horse there ?

time to give Happieness back to the people , and not just the rich people......

IT'S in the middle of the city NOW. But when it was built it wasn't! Cities expand quickly especially in third world countries as they become industrialised.

As long as they don't remove all the street food vendors I think it's a very welcome change.

But if they also evict all food stalls eventually, then Bangkok will have lost a lot of it's charm.

Can always transplant the same charm into your city of birth...

Do they really think wearing yellow shirts will win them any sympathy? those they are appealing to do not care. They were told last year they had to go but have not.

They're not looking for sympathy. They wear the "Yellow Shirt of Immunity" in order to buy themselves a little more time during their protest.

They know that the "security" forces have standing orders to look the other way when protesters are wearing the magic garment.

Don't blame the street vendors for making Bangkok the dirtiest major city in Asia ... Blame the BMA.

Were are the rubbish bins?

The few rubbish bins that I have seen are overflowing ... so where are the rubbish collectors?

Make these things available and then fine property owners for rubbish stacked in front of their property.

RTP should broaden their scope and penalize not just foreigners, but Thais as well, for throwing rubbish on the street.

Educate the public and try to instill a sense of pride in the citizens of Bangkok.

At the end of the day, BMA is going to damage tourism significantly.

Don't blame the street vendors for making Bangkok the dirtiest major city in Asia ... Blame the BMA.

Were are the rubbish bins?

The few rubbish bins that I have seen are overflowing ... so where are the rubbish collectors?

Make these things available and then fine property owners for rubbish stacked in front of their property.

RTP should broaden their scope and penalize not just foreigners, but Thais as well, for throwing rubbish on the street.

Educate the public and try to instill a sense of pride in the citizens of Bangkok.

At the end of the day, BMA is going to damage tourism significantly.

Been told by a Thai that it is a Thai thing to be cooking next to a garbage bin...?

That's the charm some here are lamenting Bangkok would lose...

Edited by trogers

Do they really think wearing yellow shirts will win them any sympathy? those they are appealing to do not care. They were told last year they had to go but have not.

They're not looking for sympathy. They wear the "Yellow Shirt of Immunity" in order to buy themselves a little more time during their protest.

They know that the "security" forces have standing orders to look the other way when protesters are wearing the magic garment.

Yep. I see wayyyyyyyyyy more than 5 people there. Of course these people are probably in the 'neutral' brand for the junta. Rabid nationalist protests are encouraged as we saw at the US embassy, protests against alleged government corruption are a naughty no no, these protests they know that they would look too heavy handed in dealing with, especially with the shirts worn....

the sights and sounds of Bangkok are rapidly disappearing because the authorities say they want to reclaim public land what will they do with it when they manage to reclaim it .

What does one do with a reclaimed sidewalk? Walking, motorcycle path, begging, etc...

As long as they don't remove all the street food vendors I think it's a very welcome change.

But if they also evict all food stalls eventually, then Bangkok will have lost a lot of it's charm.

Not to worry, just get rid of the poor and send them away...

We can then have a nice new shopping mall with a nice new food court...

Food price will be similar but not the pocket that pocket the cash....

Can't let those 99% have more than us 1%...

"Off with their head"

Charm? in plastic seats all over the pavement, dangerous red hot cooking equipment, boiling oil, rubbish, rats and cheap Chinese tat that can be had anywhere for 100 baht so congested you cannot walk on the pavement- I'll pass on that thanks.

Hear, hear, we moto riders also want our sidewalks back, the audacity of those vendors

to occupy the footpath making it difficult for moto riders to ride on them against the traffic....

This is a joke, isn't it?

They were yellow king shirts for one reason to show that they respect the king of Thailand. Others used it for political purposes. But in this instance I don't believe that to be the case.. This shirt colour nonsense is just that. NONSENSE!

BMA fault & local amphurs for not running & enforcing proper regulations on the street martets to keep it clean & enough space for all on sidewalks.

don't forget the vendors pay amphurs for the street spot & have it in their name & on record as get a bill receipt monthly.

reason it got so cramped is greedy amphurs wanted more cash from pitch spots .

rubbish issues are just as bad in areas without markets so not a huge improvement will be made .

As for Huai Khwang market it didn't cause much issue as not heavily occupied by pedestrians besides those who went there for the market

A lot of proper shops & restaurants on that road will suffer too as foot traffic of potential customers will dwindle drastically.

complete removal of street stalls & markets is a big mistake but I suppose it easier than trying run it properly which no one got the gumption to do .

A lot of expats on here wishing for the end of something inherently Thai. Markets are a way of life for Thais & are part of what make the city so captivating. I guess the punters on here will be happy as long as their bar is still open and then they can go to get some McDs on the way home. On countless occasions I have sat in one of the Huay Kwang market restaurants with friends, eating awesome food & drinking cheap beers. Will miss it as will the locals!

so short sighted this is what makes Bangkok

No it's not.

These vendors try to take over the sidewalk close to my building every so often. they block the path, cut off short cut entrances to building and leave the whole area filthy after they go home. When it rains the road close by floods at the bottom, it is impossible to walk up the path to a point above the flooded area because these vendors are blocking the whole sidewalk. They are a complete and utter pain in the behind.

Move them on.

Move them out.

Which thankfully is what the building managers close by have them do when the chaos they cause gets too much.

Given the choice, would you prefer the BMA clear out vendors, or have the RTP do its job and keep m/c's off the pavement?

m/c's?

What i want is sidewalks being used for what they are intended for...walking on.

Do not give a toss who makes it happen.

so short sighted this is what makes Bangkok
No it's not.

These vendors try to take over the sidewalk close to my building every so often. they block the path, cut off short cut entrances to building and leave the whole area filthy after they go home. When it rains the road close by floods at the bottom, it is impossible to walk up the path to a point above the flooded area because these vendors are blocking the whole sidewalk. They are a complete and utter pain in the behind.

Move them on.

Move them out.

Which thankfully is what the building managers close by have them do when the chaos they cause gets too much.

It most certainly is. Yes it might be a nuisance, but these people have been operating at that space for over three decades according to the article.

Over here at Suk 38 the night market is on it's last legs too, apparently a new condo building will rise in it's place. It's not like this is anything new of course, over the past six years the same number of highrises have been erected around Suk 36-38 but apparently it isn't enough. Meanwhile people who have operated on that night market for decades have to go. A bloody shame, especially considering there was some great food to be had there.

Before you know it, we have no streetvendors left and are left with souless food courts, save the street vendors, that some might block a sidewalk here or there is a small price to pay.

I agree with some others on here, Motorbikes have been a much worse and dangerous nuisance than the odd street vendor.

Edited by sjaak327