This is where you're most likely to be refused a taxi ride in Bangkok

webfact

This is where you're most likely to be refused a taxi ride in Bangkok
Staff writer

ratchaprasong-taxi-refusal.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Taxi drivers refusing fares for being too short, too long, or simply just not in the direction of where they want to go is one of Bangkok’s most frustrating regularities.

According to new data from the Department of Land Transport, this issue is particularly prevalent in the Ratchaprasong area in Chit Lom.

“In all, 294 drivers were found to have refused to take passengers to their destinations in December and almost all of them, or 277, turned down the rides in the Ratchaprasong area,” said director general of Land Transport, Sanit Promwong, on the number of complaints they had received from passengers.

According to the Bangkok Post, the period from October to December 2015 saw 26 taxi drivers have their licences suspended; 19 of which were due to turning down fares. The remaining seven were for being rude, refusing to use the meter and not taking passengers all the way to their desired locations.

Refusing service to would-be passengers is one of the primary reasons that taxi drivers have not yet received their much anticipated five percent fare rise.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/this-is-where-youre-most-likely-to-be-refused-a-taxi-ride-in-bangkok/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-01-19

If this is where the main problem is and the Dept of Land Transport know this then why has there been nothing done to these would be taxi drivers

Up the fines and suspensions and have records of bad taxi drivers noted and if they are repeat offenders then off to jail ..do not pass go and the taxi licence is cancelled,if it is an owner driver then off come the registration plates ...see how this grabs them ...and Land Transport need to pay Khlong Thom Centre a visit too cause it is the same

Taxis here are crap!

We need more Uber vehicles on the road!

Taxis here are great and, compared to Malaysia or the Philippines for example, usually in good conditions.

In the two districts of BKK where I have lived for the past 11 years, I never ever had just one single problem hailing down a cab that would not automatically switch on the Meter. On a Saturday night at Silom or Suk Soi 5, that's another story though..... the crooks know where they can easily find clueless victims and get away with their scams

Sukhumvit around soi 11 to soi 3 & 4 is terrible too.

Until they make 1584 and effective complaint service and then enforce the complaints then this will never change.

13 / 14 years ago when they had the big enforcement on taxi's for not using their meters, the problems of no meters was almost non existent.

Over the last 3 to 4 years it has steadily gotten worse as the drivers know they can get away with it.

You are comparing Rattle snakes to Cobra's .

Simple if you refuse a taxi fare the licensing bureau for Taxi drivers will refuse your license or suspend it Thats simple enough

But there is no will on the part of the Government to really do something about it other than a limited crack down now and then

So it will be what it is now and in the future

It’s terribly unfortunate that a great number of people seem to have so much trouble with taxi drivers. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

So I guess I’m lucky because I use taxis frequently and in 10 plus years I’ve never had any problems at all. I’ve never had a taxi driver cheat me, play meter games, insist on taking 'short cuts', demand 500 Baht for a 100 Baht ride, appear drunk, propose anything illegal, ask for tips, try to rob me, want me to buy him gas, assault me, or any other of the dire things that apparently happen so often to other people. Sure, there are times when a driver declines my business but anyone who is self-employed has the right to accept or reject a business proposition (whether or not it appears to make sense) as they see fit. Besides, another always comes along shortly...it's not a big deal.

All this time I naively believed that my taxi experiences were normal; that uneventful, predictable taxi rides were common. But through the experiences of others, I’ve recently become aware of how wildly fortunate I’ve been in dodging so many horrific close calls.

Yes, I suppose I’ve been lucky. But maybe it helps that other people are apparently keeping these voracious hordes of evil, nasty, malicious drivers occupied. This makes it easier for me to get one of the numerous drivers who are fair, polite, good-natured and responsible.

Thanks.

Edited by Hayduke

Last Thursday at 8am tried to get taxi from Sukhumvit 21 to Don Mueang airport. Stopped 6 metertaxis, every one of them said no meter, price is 600 Thb. Seventh taxi promised to use meter. Young and polite driver, fare to Don Mueang was 274 Thb by the meter, gave to driver 400 Thb. See very happy man. I wonder how happy those bastards driving in rush of Sukhumvit with empty car were. How stupid they can be??

Taxis here are great and, compared to Malaysia or the Philippines for example,

Or Vietnam, or Indonesia, or even Cambodia, where there still aren't many but they're already learning how to cheat passengers.

The more you travel in SE Asia the more you come to appreciate how easy and honest most Thai taxis are. Believe me, it wasn't always that way.

It’s terribly unfortunate that a great number of people seem to have so much trouble with taxi drivers. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

So I guess I’m lucky because I use taxis frequently and in 10 plus years I’ve never had any problems at all. I’ve never had a taxi driver cheat me, play meter games, insist on taking 'short cuts', demand 500 Baht for a 100 Baht ride, appear drunk, propose anything illegal, ask for tips, try to rob me, want me to buy him gas, assault me, or any other of the dire things that apparently happen so often to other people. Sure, there are times when a driver declines my business but anyone who is self-employed has the right to accept or reject a business proposition (whether or not it appears to make sense) as they see fit. Besides, another always comes along shortly...it's not a big deal.

All this time I naively believed that my taxi experiences were normal; that uneventful, predictable taxi rides were common. But through the experiences of others, I’ve recently become aware of how wildly fortunate I’ve been in dodging so many horrific close calls.

Yes, I suppose I’ve been lucky. But maybe it helps that other people are apparently keeping these voracious hordes of evil, nasty, malicious drivers occupied. This makes it easier for me to get one of the numerous drivers who are fair, polite, good-natured and responsible.

Thanks.

As has been often stated here, the problems people experience have a lot to do with where they are trying to get a taxi e.g lower Sukhumvit, KSR, or going to or coming from the airports. Outside these hotspots and it's much less likely you will encounter rogue drivers, but even Thai people complain about taxi drivers. If you have managed ten years without ever once having a problem driver then you are very fortunate or maybe don't use taxis nearly every day. Overall the drivers in Bangkok are ok, certainly way better than in KL or Manila.

Thanks.

What a load of inexperienced tripe.

"...anyone who is self-employed has the right to accept or reject a business proposition..."

No, taxi drivers are obliged to provide the service they are in business for when a customer has a perfectly reasonable request.

"But maybe it helps that other people are apparently keeping these voracious hordes of evil, nasty, malicious drivers occupied. This makes it easier for me to get one of the numerous drivers who are fair, polite, good-natured and responsible."

Ah, it's all clear now: "I'm alright, Jack."

There but for the grace of Bangkok taxi drivers go you.

Taxis here are crap!

We need more Uber vehicles on the road!

Taxis here are great and, compared to Malaysia or the Philippines for example, usually in good conditions.

In the two districts of BKK where I have lived for the past 11 years, I never ever had just one single problem hailing down a cab that would not automatically switch on the Meter. On a Saturday night at Silom or Suk Soi 5, that's another story though..... the crooks know where they can easily find clueless victims and get away with their scams

Exactly, hang out in the tourist ghettos and you'll see all kinds of hassles

'“In all, 294 drivers were found to have refused to take passengers to their destinations in December ... the period from October to December 2015 saw 26 taxi drivers have their licences suspended ...' 294 vs 26? No wonder they continue to take the p__s. And safe to assume they either make enough money to give the finger to the B1,000 fine, or the size of/consistency of applying the fine is a figment of the DLT's collective imagination. My money's on the second.

If this is where the main problem is and the Dept of Land Transport know this then why has there been nothing done to these would be taxi drivers

Up the fines and suspensions and have records of bad taxi drivers noted and if they are repeat offenders then off to jail ..do not pass go and the taxi licence is cancelled,if it is an owner driver then off come the registration plates ...see how this grabs them ...and Land Transport need to pay Khlong Thom Centre a visit too cause it is the same

Great ideas!! That will get rid of or improvise lots of them. Less taxis, less refusals??

They could then apply for welfare,,, Oh!!? That’s right , there’s no welfare ..??

Thanks.

You are right. I never had any big problem in 20 years plus. Some taxi are not good quality or a terrible driver, but after you make clear you only drive on the metered fare (in broken Thai language), never any problems. Of course occasionally a driver refuse, but then you hail the next one. With 100.000 available, mostly no problem. If it rains, a little bit harder or wait maybe half hour. Compare again with other big cities and I think Bangkok comes out just fine.

It is basically, Thai people assume tourists are stupid, this includes taxi drivers. Anywhere you find tourists is a bad place to get decent taxi drivers. They assume tourists are dumb and easy with money so the MBK, Kaoson Road, or redlight districts are where the scammers lurk. Of course some also refuse fairs to go somewhere they dont know or are unlikely to get a return fair. Most taxi drivers will not admit they don't know where the are going so they will just refuse and shake their heads like retarded soi dogs. Sometimes, with the drivers new to BKK,it pays if they hesitate to tell them (in Thai if you can) that you will show them how to get to your destination...

Thanks.

I agree with Your entire post, except what I have highlighted.

If a taxi parks at a rank, he should not refuse a fare. I have seen them refuse fare after fare after fare and continue to sit at the rank waiting for the "right" customer to happen along. If they wish to cherry pick, then by all means cruise around.

By waiting at a rank you are making an offer of service. By rejecting, you are rescinding that offer for no reason and should be punished accordingly.

Well, hayduke, I will refrain from using bold italic to one-up the poster who made his point in bold, but I must tell you that in my forty plus years of visitng Thailand, I have never had one single problem with anyone. That is because I am a very, very nice guy!

I used to have the same problems as posters above until I (belatedly) discovered Grab Taxi 2 or 3 months ago. Sometimes I have to enter a 50 Baht or even 100 B 'tip' in the box to tempt them, but now not only do they automatically use the meter, but I no longer have to get a motorbike taxi to the end of the soi first in order to hail one. Happy days!

Thanks.

I agree with Your entire post, except what I have highlighted.

If a taxi parks at a rank, he should not refuse a fare. I have seen them refuse fare after fare after fare and continue to sit at the rank waiting for the "right" customer to happen along. If they wish to cherry pick, then by all means cruise around.

By waiting at a rank you are making an offer of service. By rejecting, you are rescinding that offer for no reason and should be punished accordingly.

Your response is valid and you make a good point. I stand corrected on this.

Edited by Hayduke