best place for a medical checkup in Chiang Mai

krey

Symptomatic? When is the time you are symptomatic? If you test at that particular time you are symptomatic? That doesn't work for the majority. You cannot go and check every other month to see if you are symptomatic. Because cancer doesn't hurt in the beginning, you don't even know you might have it untill it is to late.

Example of symptomatic: Your balls hurt and you find a large lump.

Your stomach hurts chronically and you put it down to indigestion.

You find a large lump on your breast.

All of these can be precluded with simple health checks.

No-one said you had to have checks every other month, where did you get that idea?

How often do you check your testicles for abnormalities?

Sorry, but I am Dutch and the word symptom in Dutch has a different meaning than in Englsh. You might google that up.

Thus, let's not argue about words and leave the subject as it is.

And for your curiousity, I have my balls checked every day.

Edited by hugocnx

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blood test can't be trusted 100%. My husband had full blood/urine test every 3 months to monitor his prostate/bladder cancer. Results came out were always ok. No particular symptoms or warning signs as well. One day he just couldn't stand up to walk, thought it was maybe due to sciatic nerve pain and brought him to hospital. Was told he had stage 4 brain and lung cancer.

Blood test can't be trusted 100%. My husband had full blood/urine test every 3 months to monitor his prostate/bladder cancer. Results came out were always ok. No particular symptoms or warning signs as well. One day he just couldn't stand up to walk, thought it was maybe due to sciatic nerve pain and brought him to hospital. Was told he had stage 4 brain and lung cancer.

That's the trouble with cancer, cells can get thrown into the blood stream and they can end up anywhere.

I'm lucky in that my family tree is relatively (excuse the pun) cancer free, but my FOB tested positive at 53, and I was straight in there for the colonoscopy.

Turned out to be a benign polyp thank goodness. They even gave me a DVD of the procedure but it's not really my idea of an evening's entertainment.

blink.png

In an ideal world everyone would get free comprehensive health checks including MRI's and CAT scans.

sad.png

Edited by Chicog

Sorry to read this. Makes one to think further, right?. So cancer cells in the blood test are not what they seem?

Sent you a pm for info.

Would you trust your health to 7 quids worth of chinese rubbish? and don't believe anything you read in the Guardian it is only good for wrapping chips in.
I now get my blood pressure checked for free by a good doctor at our clinic every month.

What a truly brilliant mind are you to set away 6000 years of Chinese medical science as rubbish?

Poor guy your world must be so small...

His world is small I guess. 7 quids...but kee niao gets his blood pressure test for free. Since when do docters work for free?

Would you trust your health to 7 quids worth of chinese rubbish? and don't believe anything you read in the Guardian it is only good for wrapping chips in.

I now get my blood pressure checked for free by a good doctor at our clinic every month.

What a truly brilliant mind are you to set away 6000 years of Chinese medical science as rubbish?

Poor guy your world must be so small...

I was referring to the 350 baht blood pressure monitor not Chinese medical practices that are still practiced today ,when we in the west were living in caves all those years ago.

I for one would certainly not rubbish Chinese medicine, we still have a lot to learn from them ..

Aha, a misunderstanding. Quality brands (semi professional) blood pressure meters (table model) dropped seriously in price the past year, cost little more then 1000b now. Bought several in EU recently with big discounts only 300-400b each, good stuff. Also bought a few infrared thermometers as wel as electronic scales up to 150 kilos. Edited by flyDelight

That's the trouble with cancer, cells can get thrown into the blood stream and they can end up anywhere.

I'm lucky in that my family tree is relatively (excuse the pun) cancer free, but my FOB tested positive at 53, and I was straight in there for the colonoscopy.

Turned out to be a benign polyp thank goodness. They even gave me a DVD of the procedure but it's not really my idea of an evening's entertainment.

blink.png

In an ideal world everyone would get free comprehensive health checks including MRI's and CAT scans.

sad.png

You can always share on TV. Gather we cannot see your face???

I see Dr. Morgan and she has sent me for the various tests and then gone over them with me. she knows every thing about me. If I go to other doctors they have to start from scratch. I went in once for a shot to prevent a throat condition I had had before and she would not give me the best medication for it because i8t would not go good with another blood thinner I was taking.

That being said there are other good doctors. I have heard good reports about the Loikroh Clinic. When I first came here I saw them. He was good but did nothing to help me except tell me to stay on the station I was on at the time.

blink.png

sad.png

It reminded me of a film called "The Core".

blink.png

But here's an example:

[media=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCIqAAJGPg][/media]

(Or here would be if it eventually shows up).

Edited by Chicog

blink.png

sad.png

It reminded me of a film called "The Core".

blink.png

But here's an example:

[media=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCIqAAJGPg][/media]

Rancid?

Sorry to hear about that. Blood tests will not always show every thing. I have heard there is about 26 things that you can have tested with blood but most people never get them all checked.

Took my wife to a CM Thai hospital for a blood test (pregnancy).

Result, not pregnant.

Big argument ..... test again ...... pregnant.

Health checks in your home country, maybe.

Health checks in Thailand where everyone passes, no.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I just completed a health exam for an insurance application, the tests required were pretty much in line with what you get for a top of the line hospital health check in Thailand costing around 20,000 at Bumrungrad for example. https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/health-check-up-center-bangkok-thailand-jci-best/check-up-packages

So I took the list of tests to two different hospitals, at McCormick Hospital I had all the blood tests done and at Rajavej I had the other tests done, x-ray, ECG, ultrasound exam etc.

I then took all the results to Dr Morgan to do the physical exam and to review the results from the above and to complete the insurance application form.

I did things that way because it gave me some control over the process and the costs plus it allowed me to have the tests reviewed by a doctor I trust. The McCormick Hospital tests cost me 2,600 baht, Rajavej cost me 2,400 and Dr Morgan charged me about 450 baht. So all in all, 6,500 for a top of the line medical exam and an expert interpretation of the results.

And before anyone asks, I split the tests between two hospitals because one has a really good onsite lab whilst the other is very simple to use for other tests.

I could have course have spent 20k and had everything done in one place, likely it would have been around 12/14k in Chiang Mai. But I just don't think the health exam packages offer any sort of good value at all, more importantly, most of the doctors at the end of the conveyor belt production line at those places really don't offer a quality assessment of the results. I mean, what's the point of having the exam if you can't have faith in the person who interprets the results.

Edited by chiang mai

Siriphat Hospital also does a full medical package, cost approx. 7500B

7500? they saw you coming! i never paid more than 5K there. but i can't recommend it anymore. the wait times in the queues are ridiculous these days; even with an appointment. and parking.....forget it.

Rajavej is very good as is RAM. all the hospitals have packages. just shop around. but Rajavej is very easy to get in and out and if you arrive early (fasting), there will be plenty of parking. parking lot tends to fill up by about 9:30. they have promotions, check their website.

Wouldn't you agree that a colon scopy is not needed in the first place?

Blood tests reveil alot at the beginning and as another proof you would want a colon scopy.

Sorry, but I tend to think that colon scopy is an obsession for many people, not necessarily Chicog.

wow what an uninformed post.

Wouldn't you agree that a colon scopy is not needed in the first place?

Blood tests reveil alot at the beginning and as another proof you would want a colon scopy.

Sorry, but I tend to think that colon scopy is an obsession for many people, not necessarily Chicog.

wow what an uninformed post.

+1

Can't really hurt to have the tests. One test that is really well worth having is the one that shows up type 2 diabetes. This is going to be up with cancer as the big health issue for most people as they move into middle and old age. Most people don't know they have it. Once you get it you can't really get rid of it but you can reduce it's effects dramatically with proper management. If you are overweight, stressed, have digestive problems, or get dizzy spells then you should be tested. Not difficult to test for. Typical type 2 problems can be loss of eyesight, amputations and generally feeling rough. My best mate died from it and I have it now. He did little about it but I am making a real effort. My blood tests showed my sugar levels as being the same as a normal person. But I have eye problems that can never be put right.

This is an interesting post and the information on where best to get tested valuable. Thanks.

Can't really hurt to have the tests. One test that is really well worth having is the one that shows up type 2 diabetes. This is going to be up with cancer as the big health issue for most people as they move into middle and old age. Most people don't know they have it. Once you get it you can't really get rid of it but you can reduce it's effects dramatically with proper management. If you are overweight, stressed, have digestive problems, or get dizzy spells then you should be tested. Not difficult to test for. Typical type 2 problems can be loss of eyesight, amputations and generally feeling rough. My best mate died from it and I have it now. He did little about it but I am making a real effort. My blood tests showed my sugar levels as being the same as a normal person. But I have eye problems that can never be put right.

This is an interesting post and the information on where best to get tested valuable. Thanks.

I was fortunate that my diabetes was caught early. Dr. Morgan does a blood test on me every 6 months. At my age am not interested in saving a few baht so that what ever is wrong with me is obvious.

That is just me. Apparently some people prefer to have one foot in the grave before they attempt to do some thing about it.

As for the blood sugar level she continued to check that monthly. It always came back 125 to 135 that is low high. I started taking cinnamon with my cereal and it always comes back 90 to 95 OK. We only check it every 6 months now. Apparently there is two different kinds of tests and both are coming back OK.

I was fortunate that my diabetes was caught early. Dr. Morgan does a blood test on me every 6 months. At my age am not interested in saving a few baht so that what ever is wrong with me is obvious.

That is just me. Apparently some people prefer to have one foot in the grave before they attempt to do some thing about it.

As for the blood sugar level she continued to check that monthly. It always came back 125 to 135 that is low high. I started taking cinnamon with my cereal and it always comes back 90 to 95 OK. We only check it every 6 months now. Apparently there is two different kinds of tests and both are coming back OK.

Dr Ampica, a very highly regarded endocrinologist at Sriphat tells me that the definition of diabetes is two consecutive readings at 126 or higher so 125/135 is not low high, it is type 2 diabetes.

Edited by chiang mai

Took my wife to a CM Thai hospital for a blood test (pregnancy).

Result, not pregnant.

Big argument ..... test again ...... pregnant.

Health checks in your home country, maybe.

Health checks in Thailand where everyone passes, no.

I don't know too many women that don't realise that pregnant women excrete human growth hormone (hCG) in their urine quite early in the pregnancy. That's why you can buy pregnancy testing kits in any pharmacy.

You don't need a blood test unless you want to confirm the results of a urine test or the urine test is negative and you still have the symptoms of pregnancy.

So far you are 0/2 on basic health checks.

I really would advise that you do a bit of reading, even if only to save yourself a bit of money.

biggrin.png

Hope no one minds me digging up this one from my visit to Rajavej 18 months ago. Its time I went again.

After listening to “have you been for your health check yet?” for the last 18 months, I finally decided to get it over with.thumbsup.gif

After seeing the thread on TV towards the end of last year about the Rajavej full health check programmes, it was always “ok tomorrow”

5 months later, I sauntered into the Rajavej hospital; nervous and apprehensive, thinking if I get bad news today this will ruin my life and potentially many others. sad.png or I could continue in blissful ignorance of some nightmare developing inside me..blink.png

The question or excuse we all face is “am I brave enough now to face bad news?”

I went to the reception desk, asked for a check up; filled in a registration form; they copied my passport and asked me to wait in the check up waiting area.

I was the only farang there, all the other people were Thais, mostly ladies and about 6 in front of me.

After 15 minutes my name was called; as with most places you become Mr (forename). “which check up programme do you want?”. I asked for the premium package, everything, cost is irrelevant…..and I was then asked to step on the scales. The nurse asked how tall I was….hmm….as a diy(er) I always carry a tape, so out it came, up it went, hand on top of my head and that was it 175cm. by this time the 3 nursing staff were creased up laughing.cheesy.gif Next the blood pressure arm wrap.

Then off to room 20 for my blood “donation” ok just a syringe full.

5 minutes later I was being taken to the x-ray department for a chest x-ray.

I had to take of my shirt, necklace, phone off, watch and stand up against a large photographic plate. The nurse pushed me onto it and I had to hug it and at the same time just take a deep breath…click..finished

Back on with the shirt….”solly sir can we do again?”

At this point you don’t know whether its incompetence or a potential problem.

I had to repeat the process, everything off…hug…click ….finished…get dressed and was then asked to wait outside.

A minute later “so solly can we do again please” ok now I am worried; w00t.gif this time they are sticking cellotape on my nips tongue.png but we manage to find some humour in this though mine wasn’t genuine.

I was at worry stress level 8 already. Job done, finally and was taken to the ultrasound room.

Shirt off again, on the bed and my chest blathered with cold contact gel. The radiologist came in and proceeded to scan my internal organs. All very interesting stuff which I could watch on the tv screen. A series of photos were taken and several measurements.

I was verbally told everything is normal, nothing to be concerned about and the nipple encounter earlier, they were checking and double checking a shadow on the x ray. No problem all clear.I was happy for that thoroughness where there may have been doubt.thumbsup.gif

She couldn’t check the rectum properly as apparently I was full of gas…bah.gif …that was no surprise, just thankful I managed to control it….as she probably was also.clap2.gif

Finally before I was lead from the radiology unit I was asked to “please correct urine”. For once in my life the pot given was big enough to pee in!

My final test was the ECG; So off into another room, shirt off again, on the bed and the nurse placed 4 suckered electrodes onto my hear area, two clamps on my wrists and two on my ankles. Then maybe just a 30 second tracer printout.

Finished at 11.45am only 90 minutes after first arriving and was asked to come back anytime after 2pm for the results.

Ok so at this point I had been through the tests, not paid anything yet and could still walk away and be a coward.

I returned about 5pm with confidence supplied courtesy of chang beer, back to the check up desk. The nurse remembered the handsome man, or was it me measuring myself she remembered and immediately took me to see the doctor who was going to tell me how long I had left.

Doctor Nantawat Lindkittipot went through every reading on the blood tests, urine tests, organs all meticulously.. What you want to hear is liver normal; kidneys normal; lungs normal, prostate normal, pancreas normal; colon normal, no cancer, no diabetes, low cholesterol.

CHECK-CHECK-CHECK smile.png

What a ….ing relief.biggrin.png

The best 4900bt I have spent since I came to Thailand.

As I was in tip top condition healthwise the doctor recommended a return visit every 12-18 month just to follow up the early onset on anything.

I left with a full report of all my results not before paying and literally dozens of tests that are concluded with just the blood and urine. (that don’t actually mean a thing to me)

I have to say with regard to the Rajajev I was looked after every step of the way feeling somewhat zombiefied for the 90 minutes at what was going on. I was never alone, never wondering where to go next, it was so well organised, each department was expecting me and welcomed me by name. compared to the UK; my experience in Thai hospitals wins hands down.thumbsup.gif

You know there is a massive difference between ignorant bliss and having a health report that confirms it. A bit of “arrogance” and “I told you so” and the feeling of immortality when I got home, that was the high it gave me.

Unfortunaltely you cannot check for death my misadventure…be careful..

If you haven’t checked up yet, then fast from 9pm tonight and go and do it tomorrow.

No appointment necessary, you can check the full programme options at www.rajavejchiangmai.com.

All asleep now? coffee1.gif

Great report, Eyecatcher! And just think, that if you ever suffer some unfortunate event, chances are they'll see the Rajavej Hospital card in your wallet and return you to that health heaven where they'll have all the records in their computer system of what your body was like when it was "normal" Might come in handy if they have to act in a hurry help you out.

Reading many of the responses, it's hard to believe the ignorance. We are talking about 4-7k baht for a truly comprehensive examination. In the US, this type of thing is called an "executive check-up" because it is generally not covered by insurance, but is a benefit companies extend to those too valuable to lose.

In my case, I've been doing them at CM Ram for about 15 years. Generally small things, but two years ago, they found kidney cancer. Luckily, it was in Stage IA (95 percent five-year survival rate). Biopsy found the cells were very aggressive. In short, I probably would have been dying or dead now, had they not found the asymptomatic cancer on a routine ultrasound test. Excised 15% of a kidney, and still clean. So let's see....about 200 dollars per year times 15 years....3,000 dollars for maybe 10 or 20 additional years of life and loads of money otherwise spent on cancer care. Not a bad pay-off I would say.

Dr Ampica, a very highly regarded endocrinologist at Sriphat tells me that the definition of diabetes is two consecutive readings at 126 or higher so 125/135 is not low high, it is type 2 diabetes.

Not sure I understand where you are going with that. Yes it is type 2 diabetes but 135 is a high but not very high. 200+ would be a high high. Actually I am not sure where it becomes a high high but most assuredly 135 is not.