Thailand's 'Tiger Temple' to give up big cats, activist says

webfact

'Tiger Temple' to Give Up Big Cats, Activist Says
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14532012211453201244l.jpg
A Buddhist monk and tiger at Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua Yanasampanno, also known as the Tiger Temple, in Kanchanaburi province in a April 24, 2006, file photo. Photo: Barbara Walton / EPA

KANCHANABURI — Wildlife officials will remove 50 tigers from the infamous Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi province tomorrow, according to animal rights activists, who have long accused the facility of being complicit in trafficking the very animals it claims to protect.

Nine months after abandoning a previous effort to remove about 100 tigers from the facility, wildlife officials reportedly met with temple abbot Phra Wisutthisannen on Tuesday to discuss the welfare of the animals.

The head of one organization campaigning for the tigers to be removed said the first 50 would be removed Wednesday.

“Department of National Parks to remove first 50 tigers from #TigerTemple starting tomorrow,” Edwin Wiek, the founder of Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand, tweeted late Tuesday afternoon. “Average of 10 tigers a day planned.”

Reached for contact, staff at the Tiger Temple declined to comment. Regional wildlife official Yanyong Lekavichit declined to comment and referred a reporter to the wildlife foundation.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453201221&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-20

Great news. It was all about money anyway....

Surprise surprise....

Only difference now is that the government and not the monks will be pocketing the money from the tourists taking pictures with tigers at Damnoen Saduak Tiger Zoo.

Surprise surprise....

Only difference now is that the government and not the monks will be pocketing the money from the tourists taking pictures with tigers at Damnoen Saduak Tiger Zoo.

Legally, the tigers belong to the government anyway.

Edited by cumgranosalum

there is something unsettling and deeply unpleasant in seeing photos of people posing with these, obviously medicated, animals.

we should know better.

whereas I agree with your sentiment, I get equally disturbed by the fact that the issue of "drugging" seems to appear every time the temple is mentioned. The temple stands accused of various wrongdoings and the drugging issue is at best red herring - it is one thing that has not been proven. Although it is possible that it is carried out, no-one has yet proved this.

On the other hand the illegal trade in endangered species has been shown, the illegal breeding program is true, the substandard diet is a fact as is the insufficient living conditions.

I think the temple will only be brouht to task when people who oppose it are in possession of the facts themselves and aren't sidetracked into false arguments.

there is something unsettling and deeply unpleasant in seeing photos of people posing with these, obviously medicated, animals.

we should know better.

We should know better. There's been many instances of people being bitten over the years. A high threshold for a lawsuit would stop this dangerous activity quickly!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/thailand/11179252/Tiger-mauls-tourist-in-Phuket-tiger-park.html

http://news.thaivisa.com/uncategorized/abbot-of-tiger-temple-pawed-bitten-by-tiger/89266/

This circle jerk has been going on for several years. It is a money maker for the temple / abbott, the civil employees being paid off

and then those animal rights groups who get involved and raise a stink about conditions, etc.

Its no different than the jet ski, karaoke joints, etc except it has the national religious group, collecting, distributing the taking and probably leaving

the RTP out of of the circle when division time comes up.

Just another example of how another group of the thai society figured a way to set on their arse, beg and/or charge farang to enter and observe animals at a facility paid for by other farangs.

About time too! I've always been amazed at how a Buddhist country can so badly treat animals( and people) in front of the whole world. Some of the photos have been horrendous. Look at the way elephants are treated . Now, I wonder where these tigers are being taken, and hope that they will be better off and treated well.

Moved to where?

Probably Ratchaburi.

Interesting....... I live in Mae Taeng, (40 km north of Chiangmai) and for the last 4 or 5 months now have been watching new buildings going up and the clearing of a large plot of land and construction of some high and heavy duty fencing going up...... I pass this place a few times a week on my MTB. Just 2 weeks ago a sign went up…Well, more of a ‘tarp’ sheet, (See photo) was left hanging from a just finished buildings, 'Tiger Kingdom'. I know in Thailand that doesn’t mean anything, they use these things a sun shades everywhere.

The place is pretty well hidden from the main road, with no signs at the main entrance to say what’s going on there. I only know it’s here because I ride in the hill at the back of the area, I can’t get that close…. But can see enough.

The location is approx. 10 km from the 107 and 1095 junction along the Pai road, (right side)

So maybe this is where they are coming too.

post-69255-0-79241900-1453274700_thumb.jpost-69255-0-29094600-1453274742_thumb.j

Temple Refuses to Release Tigers, Again
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14532772451453277363l.jpg

KANCHANABURI — The latest effort by wildlife authorities to remove tigers from a commercial temple west of Bangkok in Kanchanaburi province was stalled yet again today.

A day after wildlife protection officials reportedly moved to seize more than 100 tigers from Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua Yanasampanno, the short-lived operation was postponed to Monday, pending “negotiation” with the influential temple abbot, a prominent animal rights activist said.

“The abbot said he wants to inspect the facility to accommodate the tigers first,” said Edwin Wiek, founder of Wildlife Friends of Thailand, of the government animal center to which the tigers would be moved.

Sounding exasperated, Wieks added, “He’s been delaying this again and again.”

Teeranai Charuvastra
20 January 2016, Last update at 15:16:00 GMT
Tweet
Temple Refuses to Release Tigers, Again

A Buddhist monk with a tiger at Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno, also known as the Tiger Temple, in Kanchanaburi province in a file photo from April 24, 2006. Photo: Barbara Walton / EPA
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

KANCHANABURI — The latest effort by wildlife authorities to remove tigers from a commercial temple west of Bangkok in Kanchanaburi province was stalled yet again today.

A day after wildlife protection officials reportedly moved to seize more than 100 tigers from Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua Yanasampanno, the short-lived operation was postponed to Monday, pending “negotiation” with the influential temple abbot, a prominent animal rights activist said.

“The abbot said he wants to inspect the facility to accommodate the tigers first,” said Edwin Wiek, founder of Wildlife Friends of Thailand, of the government animal center to which the tigers would be moved.

Sounding exasperated, Wieks added, “He’s been delaying this again and again.”

‘Tiger Temple’ to Give Up Big Cats, Activist Says

Known to foreign tourists as the “Tiger Temple,” Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua Yanasampanno, a monastery in Kanchanaburi province, has long been accused by animal rights activists of mistreating the tigers for commercial gain and even trafficking some of its animals.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453277245

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-20

What is it with these so called Monks - who is protecting them ?

I would guess that it is not amulets protecting them but the good old Baht.

Yet another example of the hypocrisy of religion.

Their mantra is to live without material things and wealth, yet every week you here of the greed of their leaders.

Across the board, every religion is BS. Can't believe so many still fall for their BS in this day and age.

Surprise surprise....

There is no evidence for this assertion - The government operates several centers for confiscated wildlife across the country. To my knowledge, none of them have been used as tourist attractions (so far). But don't give them any ideas giggle.gif

What is it with these so called Monks - who is protecting them ?

The Saffron Mafia protects itself - above the law. No superstitious Thai "Buddhist" would risk going against them.....for fear of "bad luck". aka bad karma / demerits.

Net result: A few less tiger pictures on facebook we all have to look at now, but how about doing something about the real problem? Habitat encroachment.

As recently as 1950 Thailand was 80% jungle. Today, it's something like 20%. Something to think about next time we see all those nice green rice fields outside the train window while traveling thru Issan...

(( blink.png ))