Fee for visa on arrival to double from 1,000 baht to 2,000 baht

The idea of incremental increases is lost on the thais... doubling seems to be the easiest math.

I missed the part where charging double is going to decrease the congestion at immigration check points AND how does it improve immigrations checks that pose a security threat. Regarding the security threat, I can think of a few more countries that should be added.

What is the thinking here?

If there is an actual plan and this warrant the increase in revenue to fund this. Other than the chinese, it doesn't seem to affect the most popular countries.

It will be interesting to see if this applies to the chinese or if they make a change.

Prediction: Next year increase (doubling of course) across the board of retirement, marriage, education, medical extension fee.

Edited by Nowisee

The idea of incremental increases is lost on the thais... doubling seems to be the easiest math.

I missed the part where charging double is going to decrease the congestion at immigration check points AND how does it improve immigrations checks that pose a security threat. Regarding the security threat, I can think of a few more countries that should be added.

If there is an actual plan and this warrant the increase in revenue to fund this. Other than the chinese, it doesn't seem to affect the most popular countries.

It will be interesting to see if this applies to the chinese or if they make a change.

Prediction: Next year increase (doubling of course) across the board of retirement, marriage, education, medical extension fee.

Thai government fees and fines for all sorts of stuff usually stay at some price, often for decades, to when they are obserdly cheap, and then get raised (often double or more) all at once. Therefore the increases appear jarring to some. Either way amounts to the same result so not really something to get exercised about.

Maybe not.

My assumption: a proper visa is included in the package tours.

I simply can't imagine that thei shift millions of Chinese through the small VOA office/booths at Suv.

points AND how does it improve immigrations checks that pose a security threat. Regarding the security threat, I can think of a few more countries that should be added.

You overlook some important facts.

Applying for visa in the home country gives time to check the traveller and avoid him/her even starting the trip.

(just look at US regulations!)

AND: a big list of countries is obliged to do a visa in the home country.

For certain critical countries the visa has to be approved by the MFA Bangkok.

Can take weeks.

(Afghanistan, Iraq and others)

Edited by KhunBENQ

another nail in the coffin for tourism doubling the visa fee on arrival is another reason tourists will decrease .

Why all the knashing of teeth about this possibility...do you guys all own beer-bars, restaurants, or guesthouses/hotels? Me personally, I would welcome such a development but don't think it will happen.

another nail in the coffin for tourism doubling the visa fee on arrival is another reason tourists will decrease .

Nonsense anyway.

If just people would know what they are writing about.

I better give up shouting against the wind.

I would be so happy if the floods from China would be regulated.

The opposite will happen.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

More fees < > less visitors. Simple equation.

Ever rapidly varying immigration policies < > confusion = encourages people consider going elsewhere

Aliens (space cadets) are being made to feel like they should feel privileged to be permitted to visit, rather than feel welcomed to the country who will relieve them of their hard earned currencies.

On, on.......>>>>>>>

Funny how the numbers keep going up year after year though...and I'd venture that 95% of visitors are here for a holiday of 2 weeks or less so all they would ever need is a single-entry tourist visa, visa on arrival, or 30-day entry stamp, depending on their country of origin. The rules for these entries are simple and have not changed much in years (in fact, they've become more generous) so I don't think this change will have any affect on Thailand's tourist numbers.

I was going to retort in-depth about the numbers, but my second though was, you actually believe TAT. I'm not even going there. facepalm.gif

"but my second though was, you actually believe TAT"

Compared to some random bitter old dears with their own agenda spouting nonsense about plummeting numbers of tourists?? Yes. TAT is probably more believable.

• Like 1

Now am I wrong when I read the article it seemed to me like a good move trying to stop the hold ups at immigration counters at airport. So to me it makes sense. Apply in home country before coming if you need a visa on entry. Nothing to do with not wanting people to visit in fact the exact opposite no queues good PR happy tourist.

• Like 1

Now am I wrong when I read the article it seemed to me like a good move trying to stop the hold ups at immigration counters at airport. So to me it makes sense. Apply in home country before coming if you need a visa on entry. Nothing to do with not wanting people to visit in fact the exact opposite no queues good PR happy tourist.

So why not make it available on line it is 2016 after all.

So why not make it available on line it is 2016 after all.

Yes I agree but then the hold up comes when immigration has to get online to check and let's not forget the 90 day report online system is not fit for purpose so I would say yes but only when government websites here work for everyone.

I think we can expect a price increase for (at least some categories of) extensions sometime soon. This is especially so where they want to conduct spot checks at the applicant's address.

I think we can expect a price increase for (at least some categories of) extensions sometime soon. This is especially so where they want to conduct spot checks at the applicant's address.

That is well possible.

And why not invent an arrival tax for all visa exempt tourists biggrin.png

They should set up a 'go fund me' account so people can just send their money, instead of coming for a vacation. Everyone knows they don't want foreigners here.

-----------------------

The fact is that the person who made this statement originally does not know the difference between a "visa on arrival" and a "visa exempt entry" which is what at many Americans, British, and some Europeans get.

The free visa exempt entry is something that nationals of G-7 countries get due an agreement of the G-7 counties and the Thai immigration..

A "visa on arrival" is something entirely different which many Indians have to pay to get.

All the fuss about this post is based on a misunderstanding of the correct terminology of a visa exempt free entry.

That is the visa less 30 day free entry the G-7nationals get.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

That is well possible.

And why not invent an arrival tax for all visa exempt tourists biggrin.png

Arrival "taxes" for all arrivals have been added several times, but you don't see it because the airlines have been the one adding it to your ticket price....

• Like 1

Why all the knashing of teeth about this possibility...do you guys all own beer-bars, restaurants, or guesthouses/hotels? Me personally, I would welcome such a development but don't think it will happen.

Huh? "doubling the visa fee on arrival is another reason tourists will decrease"

"I would welcome such a development but don't think it will happen"

Excuse me, but is that not precisely what they have just done?

Instead of doubling fees they should be doubling service. My mom arrived at Bkk airport last week and (after a 12 hour flight) it took her almost 2 hours just to get through customs...

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 1

Instead of doubling fees they should be doubling service. My mom arrived at Bkk airport last week and (after a 12 hour flight) it took her almost 2 hours just to get through customs...

Are you really talking about "customs" or do you mean Immigration ?

I would have thought the arrivals hall would be empty...isn't Thailand's tourist industry supposed to be in a tailspin?

I would have thought the arrivals hall would be empty...isn't Thailand's tourist industry supposed to be in a tailspin?

Apparently some feeling have been hurt, but you seem to have the right thinking and all the right answers.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

"He recommended two options of charging visa fees: the first is a minimum flat rate of 1,000 baht for each visa and the second which is to charge the same rates impose by those countries for Thai visitors which range from 750-3,900 baht."

This is just greed. Cost of western consulate or an embassy and all its staff is much higher then the Thai one. To me this sounds like a blackmail. Everybody knows that Thais if is traveling to the western country, this happen on personal invitation from western citizen (who is paying for it anyway), where western citizen is traveling to Thailand on his/her own will and paying for it with his own money.

Greed, greed, greed!

You would imagine that a country in the early stages of tourism decline and economic demise would scrap visa fees and visa tedium. Clearly that's not the case in LoS. It would seem that a hidden agenda is playing out. Every new procedure or announcement from immigration seems to add another layer of difficulties or costs to staying here. Is the real agenda to drive out everyone other than short stay tourists?

You would imagine that a country in the early stages of tourism decline and economic demise would scrap visa fees and visa tedium. Clearly that's not the case in LoS. It would seem that a hidden agenda is playing out. Every new procedure or announcement from immigration seems to add another layer of difficulties or costs to staying here. Is the real agenda to drive out everyone other than short stay tourists?

What does an increase in VISA ON ARRIVAL fees have to do with any supposed "difficulties or costs" of staying here long term? I would say Thailand is one of the most easy countries in the world to stay long term if one is retired or meets some basic requirements if not...try washing up in most countries with a a pension of a couple thousand dollars and attempt to live there.

• Like 1

I think that the number of people entering on a visa on arrival is only a small fraction of the tourists entering the country. I would guess that most of those that are from the 19 countries that qualify for if get a tourist visa because they want to stay longer than 15 days.

• Like 1

What does an increase in VISA ON ARRIVAL fees have to do with any supposed "difficulties or costs" of staying here long term? I would say Thailand is one of the most easy countries in the world to stay long term if one is retired or meets some basic requirements if not...try washing up in most countries with a a pension of a couple thousand dollars and attempt to live there.
Who mentioned long term ... Not me. This thread is about tourist (visa on arrival) visas. Let me explain in another way ......

Normally a country wishing (hoping) to encourage tourism scraps or reduces visa procedures and fees. Clearly, the powers that prevail (at the moment) in Thailand do not subscribe to that train of thought.

• Like 1

Who mentioned long term ... Not me. This thread is about tourist (visa on arrival) visas. Let me explain in another way ......

Normally a country wishing (hoping) to encourage tourism scraps or reduces visa procedures and fees. Clearly, the powers that prevail (at the moment) in Thailand do not subscribe to that train of thought.

VOA affects such a small proportion of tourists so it will minimal effect on general tourist numbers.

• Like 1