Fee for visa on arrival to double from 1,000 baht to 2,000 baht

Fee for visa on arrival to double from 1,000 baht to 2,000 baht

1001002-1-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to increase the fee for visa on arrival from 1,000 baht to 2,000 baht.

Government spokesman Maj-Gen Sansern Keawkamnerd said the reason for the doubling of the visa on arrival fee stemmed from the fact that many tourists tend to apply for visas at immigration checkpoints rather than applying for visas at Thai embassies or consular offices.

This, he said, has caused congestion at immigration checkpoints and also compromised immigration checks which may pose a security threat and allow undesirable elements to enter the country more easily.

The visa on arrival is valid for just one time and cannot be renewed.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/147313

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-20

• Like 1

I thought the visa on arrival stamp for Americans/Australians/Europeans/etc... was free. When did you have to pay 1000thb? Or is that something completely different? I have been on an Non-O visa the past 4 years so maybe im out of the loop? Im curious because I have some friends visiting next month.

• Like 1

Sorry... maybe I have been on One Year Visas for far too long... But WHEN did they start charging for VOA??? and Where do you even Pay it???
Do they have ATMs before Immigration so you can get some Baht???

Confused..... I will actually be having to use a VOA on my next trip.
CS

PS.... I have no recollection of EVER Paying for a VOA anywhere in Any Country...
Isn't a FREE 30 Day VOA to a restricted list of reciprocating Countries what a VOA is all about???
And aren't these negotiated by treaty??

I thought the visa on arrival stamp for Americans/Australians/Europeans/etc... was free. When did you have to pay 1000thb? Or is that something completely different? I have been on an Non-O visa the past 4 years so maybe im out of the loop? Im curious because I have some friends visiting next month.

Your confusing the visa on arrival for a visa exemption.

Here is information on those countries needing a visa on arrival.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/907-visa-on-arrival

Another remarkably foolish move in my opinion,at a time the country should be doing more to attract tourists not detract them by doubling fees.

The number of Indians who holiday here now alone I think this move is rather silly to say the least.

Well, they have to make the money up somewhere ever since abolishing the double and triple entry tourist visas.

Your confusing the visa on arrival for a visa exemption.

Here is information on those countries needing a visa on arrival.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/907-visa-on-arrival

Another remarkably foolish move in my opinion,at a time the country should be doing more to attract tourists not detract them by doubling fees.

The number of Indians who holiday here now alone I think this move is rather silly to say the least.

I see China is on the list, although I thought they now had a separate deal?

Sorry... maybe I have been on One Year Visas for far too long... But WHEN did they start charging for VOA??? and Where do you even Pay it???

Do they have ATMs before Immigration so you can get some Baht???

Confused..... I will actually be having to use a VOA on my next trip.

CS

PS.... I have no recollection of EVER Paying for a VOA anywhere in Any Country...

Isn't a FREE 30 Day VOA to a restricted list of reciprocating Countries what a VOA is all about???

And aren't these negotiated by treaty??

Thailand has always charged for a VOA.

Has been 1,000 Baht for years.

To double the fee seems a bit much when it only gives a stay of 15 days.

Why not build proper waitingrooms at the embassy's. Where i come from they have a huge building but the visa-office is very small and crappy, far too busy.

Our government would close the Thai visa embassy ASAP if it wasn't an embassy which can do as they like. Any other public company would have to follow our standard rules. Even the ceiling is far too low so we hit our heads all the time. Welcome to Thailand.

And why do we have to come back for the visa, in the past they could give it to you an hour after applying, now it takes many days.

I see China is on the visa on arrival lists. All makes sense now. With Chinese tourism on the ever increase, this simply equates to a money grab. The reasoning about congestion and security risks and embassy issued visas is just a cover up for a smash and grab Chinese market.

• Like 2

My take on this is that they want people to apply for visas in their own country to enable proper checks to be done. Increasing the price may encourage that.

Or it may encourage people to look at alternative destinations which don't overcharge and scrutinise you.

So fine...who cares. If they don't want some scrutiny Thailand doesn't need them mucking about and if a $50 visa fee on a 2000-3000 vacation is a deciding factor disuades them from coming, well, Thailand doesn't need them either.

And my reading is the visa fees at embassis and consulates remains the same...and it's being raised for arrival visas to cut down on the horrendous lines and congestion at the airport.

• Like 2

More fees < > less visitors. Simple equation.

Ever rapidly varying immigration policies < > confusion = encourages people consider going elsewhere

Aliens (space cadets) are being made to feel like they should feel privileged to be permitted to visit, rather than feel welcomed to the country who will relieve them of their hard earned currencies.

On, on.......>>>>>>>

• Like 1

More fees < > less visitors. Simple equation.

Ever rapidly varying immigration policies < > confusion = encourages people consider going elsewhere

Aliens (space cadets) are being made to feel like they should feel privileged to be permitted to visit, rather than feel welcomed to the country who will relieve them of their hard earned currencies.

On, on.......>>>>>>>

Funny how the numbers keep going up year after year though...and I'd venture that 95% of visitors are here for a holiday of 2 weeks or less so all they would ever need is a single-entry tourist visa, visa on arrival, or 30-day entry stamp, depending on their country of origin. The rules for these entries are simple and have not changed much in years (in fact, they've become more generous) so I don't think this change will have any affect on Thailand's tourist numbers.

• Like 2

They should set up a 'go fund me' account so people can just send their money, instead of coming for a vacation. Everyone knows they don't want foreigners here.

I don't think everyone would agree with you.

Have looked at the countries that can get the 15 day VOA.

My take on this is that they want people to apply for visas in their own country to enable proper checks to be done. Increasing the price may encourage that.

has it occurred that mostly only capital or very large cities have embassies or consulates.

In some countries one has to travel and stay in hotels in order to apply for a visa.

Not to forget to have to wait 2 days before one gets his passport returned.

To increase costs only keeps tourists away especially the ones on a tight budget.

Absolutely nothing to do with security, just more milk from the cow.

Keep going Thailand.

It's obvious they're simply trying to squeeze more money out of masses of Chinese tourists, as those are the overwhelming majority of visitors getting Visa on Arrival.

There is no security issue here (I doubt consulates are much more thorough in vetting visitors), and the chances that the 2000 baht will make a substantial proportion of people visit a consulate twice (and pay 1300 baht for a tourist visa) is unlikely. Perhaps some travel agencies might do bulk processing at consulates for tour groups to save a bit of money.

• Like 1

has it occurred that mostly only capital or very large cities have embassies or consulates.

In some countries one has to travel and stay in hotels in order to apply for a visa.

Not to forget to have to wait 2 days before one gets his passport returned.

To increase costs only keeps tourists away especially the ones on a tight budget.

Absolutely nothing to do with security, just more milk from the cow.

Keep going Thailand.

So the visa on arrival is a cost effective option offered to these travelers courtesy of the Thai government. What's not to like?

They should set up a 'go fund me' account so people can just send their money, instead of coming for a vacation. Everyone knows they don't want foreigners here.

I don't think everyone would agree with you.

Have looked at the countries that can get the 15 day VOA.

Much ado about nothing,

At least in an English language forum with most members being visa exempt and not visa on arrival.

For the affected countries the Q is:

2000 Baht more expensive than a normal TR visa? -> yes it is.

So the message is clear: get a visa at your home country, cheaper and we have less crowds at the VOA office in Suvarnabhumi.

Due to MFA the following countries are entitled for visa on arrival:

Andorra Bulgaria Bhutan China

Cyprus Ethiopia India Kazakhstan

Latvia Lithuania Maldives Malta

Mauritius Romania San Marino Saudi Arabia

Taiwan Ukraine Uzbekistan

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

(just seen the link in a post above to Suvarnabhumi, list seems identical)

Out of this list China and India are the real moneymakers.

Saudi Arabians are forbidden to travel to Thailand (while they still do via 3rd countries).

Edited by KhunBENQ