Chinese tourists to Thailand on the rise: 16 percent annually

webfact

Chinese tourists to Thailand on the rise: 16 percent annually
BY LARRY BANKS

Chinese-Tourists-Thailand.jpg
Chinese tourists visiting a temple in Thailand.

BANGKOK: -- The number of Chinese tourists coming to Thailand each year is expected to grow by 16 percent annualy over the next five years, even though there’s a slowdown in the Chinese economy, according to brokerage CLSA.

The growth in Chinese tourism is attributed to rising incomes and more desire to travel, as visa restrictions are eased, according to Aaron Fischer, CLSA regional head of consumer and gaming research.

“Chinese people are getting richer and aspirations are rising for more adventurous and exotic locations, driven by social media influence”, he said, adding “The first step is to go to destinations in Asia”.

Chinese tourists have helped drive growth in the Thai tourism sector for several years. Last year, Thailand received more than 8.3 million tourists from China, around 36 percent of all arrivals.

Full story: http://ethailand.com/business-news/chinese-tourists-thailand-rising/1418/

-- eThailand 2016-01-20

The issue for Thailand is the lack of actual spending as 'normal' tourist have in the past, for example Australian, American or European (have woken up). All very well having the hordes of Chinese demographics arriving in masses. But if they aren't parting with any Baht what real use is it, to the general orientated Thai tourism businesses? Comparing Apples and Oranges; but great to befriend those of common goals in dictatorship, communists have it down pat.

The term kin-yeow is an understatement.

“Chinese people are getting richer and aspirations are rising for more adventurous and exotic locations, driven by social media influence”, he said, adding “The first step is to go to destinations in Asia”.

Not really true... Chinese tourist are well known as on-the-minute-tourists in Germany for years... Germany in 2 days... :-)

From the Tourist Board of China : Top 5 Destinations : Korea , Japan, Thailand , America , Hong Kong.

Money spent ..Japan average per person 280,000 yen then America then Korea ...Hong Kong and Thailand got the short end of the stick.

The one figure from TAT that i can believe. However i have yet to see actual figures of how their visit benefits thais with all their money going directly to chinese owned tour companies/hotels and maggi noodles.

They are just becoming familiar with their future fellow countrymen when Chailand is so indebted to China, they will be owned.

Visa restrictions are eased????

Maybe. But the price has doubled from 1000thb to 2000thb over night.

Thai Logic = Chinese are getting richer so let's charge them double

Chinese don't need a Thai visa to visit as of last year or before, it is now Visa on Arrival. The drawcard is the exotic location, exchange value to the reminbi, shopping, nightlife, other attractions. For as cheap as HK$888 ( what's that in baht) you can get a two night deal and return flights. Many take advantage of it for weekends, mainlanders same, many cheap deals, it's actually cheaper to fly to BKK than to fly in China, say from Shanghai to Beijing return.

( HK is still under China central gov btw to that other poster but mainland Chinese need a pass to get in, valid for one of two weeks to stop all those illegals squatting in HK)

From the Tourist Board of China : Top 5 Destinations : Korea , Japan, Thailand , America , Hong Kong.

Money spent ..Japan average per person 280,000 yen then America then Korea ...Hong Kong and Thailand got the short end of the stick.

Thailand got the first time main lander tourists travelling on package tours. Those from Europe will remember the early days of mass tourism and the utter lack of manners by country pumpkins on their first trips. Horror.

Thailand received more than 8.3 million tourists from China, around 36 percent of all arrivals.

So the truth is finally coming out as to how many tourists visited Thailand last year. If the 8.3 million Chinese tourists represent 36% of all arrivals, then the total arrivals is 23 million, what happened to the near 30 million arrivals often quoted by TAT..coffee1.gif

No doubt the quoted 36% is an error, that's what happens when Govt. departments keep using those cheap Chinese calculators from the market..cheesy.gif

The issue for Thailand is the lack of actual spending as 'normal' tourist have in the past, for example Australian, American or European (have woken up). All very well having the hordes of Chinese demographics arriving in masses. But if they aren't parting with any Baht what real use is it, to the general orientated Thai tourism businesses? Comparing Apples and Oranges; but great to befriend those of common goals in dictatorship, communists have it down pat.

The term kin-yeow is an understatement.

serious china tourists don't spend? So i suppose they come to thailand FOC all paid for by the thai govt.

This article seems to indicate that the reason for the increase in Chinese tourists is because of the increase in wealth and prosperity in China. I have just been reading all kinds of news reports that indicate China's economy is in trouble, and the article admits that China is in an economic slowdown. If so then how can the Chinese be "becoming richer and traveling more" as the article states?

When the economy back home hits the skids, the first thing people do is look for a closer place to vacation, somewhere not too far from home.

Lets run out the numbers, shall we?

Current Chinese Tourists = 8.3 million

Projected growth rate 16% per year

Period = 5 years

Increase after 5 years = 8.3 x 2.1 = 17.4 million

That should be delightful.

Ah, but you neglected the point that these are only "projected" numbers?

After the first months review an increase of a further "loads and loads and loads" of more % will be assured

Rising Chinese tourism - this I actually believe. Not such a great benefit for those working in the Thai tourism industry outside of the transportation providers though, as thais are discovering to their dismay. For the Chinese, I think Thailand travel is actually something of a loss leader and to an extent therefore recession-proof. Their numbers swell even as the economy deteriorates at home because the packages represent the remaining affordable option. The hordes of loud Chinese contribute to making Thailand a less desireable vacation destination for westerners.

The one figure from TAT that i can believe. However i have yet to see actual figures of how their visit benefits thais with all their money going directly to chinese owned tour companies/hotels and maggi noodles.

They are just becoming familiar with their future fellow countrymen when Chailand is so indebted to China, they will be owned.

That Thais pay back their debts is only a theoretical possibility

This article seems to indicate that the reason for the increase in Chinese tourists is because of the increase in wealth and prosperity in China. I have just been reading all kinds of news reports that indicate China's economy is in trouble, and the article admits that China is in an economic slowdown. If so then how can the Chinese be "becoming richer and traveling more" as the article states?

When the economy back home hits the skids, the first thing people do is look for a closer place to vacation, somewhere not too far from home.

Have you heard of a term called gradual effect?

Look the USA has been on a downward slide since say 2010. Japan's economy has been in the dumps so why aren't these 2 countries look something like africa? Why aren't japanese and americans looking like somalian refugees since their economy is on a downward spiral.

That's cause it will take a really long time before they end up truly third world and i am sure the same logic applies to china.

Rising Chinese tourism - this I actually believe. Not such a great benefit for those working in the Thai tourism industry outside of the transportation providers though, as thais are discovering to their dismay. For the Chinese, I think Thailand travel is actually something of a loss leader and to an extent therefore recession-proof. Their numbers swell even as the economy deteriorates at home because the packages represent the remaining affordable option. The hordes of loud Chinese contribute to making Thailand a less desireable vacation destination for westerners.

Oh please why blame the chinese? They have as much right as you to visit thailand. The way you are putting it it's as if thailand is only for the westerners to visit.

Look at the end of the day you are a foreigner just as the chinese tourist and the difference is that culturally the chinese are obviously closer to the thais having influenced them in so many ways.

Yet we can put that factor aside and say both you and the chinese tourist are both foreigners what makes you think that somehow you have more rights on thailand compared to a chinese tourist?

It seems that most Chinese package tours spend only a few days in Thailand. As we have seen, it's mostly an " all inclusive" holiday which doesn't contribute much to help the Thai economy.Nearly all cheap package tours are bad deals for the country they visit.Anyone from Europe can remember the mass tourism in Spain in the 70 s and 80 s, it was the beginning of cheap holidays , and it was very hard to get the " money spending " tourists back. It was " tea like mother makes it" and " eggs beans and sausages" on every street corner. Other smaller countries who didn't have the room to put thousands of tourists didn't suffer from this problem.The problem is the same in some cheap Caribbean destinations. Like Thailand , there are package tours where it's all inclusive and you can pay from 800 ( 31 000 B) for a flight and whole week with meals in the sunshine. Most individual travellers spend this on flights alone. While young I worked in Benidorm in the late 60s . I met a family who couldn't afford to buy ice creams ! Yes, there are rich Chinese tourists who go to Paris and Nice for a week to buy designer handbags and clothes. They stay in 4/5 star hotels and visit the best restaurants. You wouldn't see those tourists here in Pattaya for example. So, in the long run, mass tourism brings nothing, except maybe bad feeling. From what I've seen and heard here, coming from Thai people , I don't think these package tours are welcome, and eventually it will spoil Thailands declining tourism , which already has lost much of its appeal world wide.

It seems that most Chinese package tours spend only a few days in Thailand. As we have seen, it's mostly an " all inclusive" holiday which doesn't contribute much to help the Thai economy.Nearly all cheap package tours are bad deals for the country they visit.Anyone from Europe can remember the mass tourism in Spain in the 70 s and 80 s, it was the beginning of cheap holidays , and it was very hard to get the " money spending " tourists back. It was " tea like mother makes it" and " eggs beans and sausages" on every street corner. Other smaller countries who didn't have the room to put thousands of tourists didn't suffer from this problem.The problem is the same in some cheap Caribbean destinations. Like Thailand , there are package tours where it's all inclusive and you can pay from 800 ( 31 000 cool.png for a flight and whole week with meals in the sunshine. Most individual travellers spend this on flights alone. While young I worked in Benidorm in the late 60s . I met a family who couldn't afford to buy ice creams ! Yes, there are rich Chinese tourists who go to Paris and Nice for a week to buy designer handbags and clothes. They stay in 4/5 star hotels and visit the best restaurants. You wouldn't see those tourists here in Pattaya for example. So, in the long run, mass tourism brings nothing, except maybe bad feeling. From what I've seen and heard here, coming from Thai people , I don't think these package tours are welcome, and eventually it will spoil Thailands declining tourism , which already has lost much of its appeal world wide.

I see so europeans/americans/farang don't go on package tours but only chinese do.