Only for retired USA expats in CM on SSA deposits.

jobin

Medicare Part B in Thailand -- yup, it doesn't "work" here, but many expats still elect to enroll so they can return home at a moment's notice and obtain medical care and not have to wait for the open enrollment period once they return to the U.S.

On another post, Carken was talking about a perceived shortcoming with the excellent direct deposit program that Bangkok Bank has set up with SSA -- that the recipient must go to a Bangkok Bank branch each month, in person, to make the withdrawal from his SSA account and no ATM card can be associated with that account. No family member can make the withdrawal on his behalf. No stranger, bargirl, someone barely known to him, etc. This is a protection set in place by Bangkok Bank when they accepted the responsibility of handling U.S. gov't benefit payments.

Now what if you're handicapped, in a coma or otherwise unable to go to a Bangkok Bank branch to tend to your banking business each month? No problem! They will come to you! My experience here in Chiang Mai is that they will send branch officers to hospital rooms and homes to handle this important task for a charge of .... wait for it... 100 baht. If it appears that the situation is going to be on-going, they suggest that the responsible person go to the U.S. Consulate and execute the documents to become a representative payee. It's not a big deal. How do you think the residents at the several nursing homes in the area receive their SSA benefits?

Do you have a deduction for Medicare Part B? If so, you may be subject to an increase in the cost of your Medicare Part B payments for 2016. This affects high-earning retirees, and is on a graduated scale, based on income:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2015/11/16/its-official-medicare-part-b-premiums-will-rise-16-in-2016-for-some-seniors/#2715e4857a0b56e41b6651f8

Please educate me... I thought Medicare eligibility does not apply if you're living abroad such as in Thailand. I thought that Medicare is eventually non existent if you're not living within America.

Medicare does not pay benefits when out of the USA. But, if you want to return to the US for any medical treatment, you must continue to pay your monthly Medicare premiums. Also, my supplemental policy has coverage for the first 3 months, I am out of the country.

Medicare does not pay benefits when out of the USA. But, if you want to return to the US for any medical treatment, you must continue to pay your monthly Medicare premiums. Also, my supplemental policy has coverage for the first 3 months, I am out of the country.

The supplemental policies to Parts A and B (no supplemental or Medicare Advantage insurer will cover you unless you're already paying into Part) that I've read have a very strict and limited coverage of anybody outside the US for the first 90 days only. It's emergency coverage only....and not even a very liberal emergency coverage.

You either opt in or opt out of Part B. If you opt in, you pay every month regardless if you're in the US or not (SS deducts it from your monthly check). If you've opted out, no supplemental or Medicare Advantage plan will pay anything as noted above. And, presuming you've opted out, you have to pay some significant financial penalties (much higher monthly payments) and will end up with a time gap in coverage that could present a real problem for some people needing immediate care.

Edited by CMBob

The Social Security Administration does have an online portal where you can view your information including a breakdown of deductions from your check.

Visit https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ to create an account.

Here is a list of things you can do online:

-Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year;
-Get an estimate of your future benefits if you are still working;
-Get a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them; and
-Manage your benefits:
-Change your address;
-Start or change your direct deposit;
-Get a replacement Medicare card; and
-Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

There are two programs with Bangkok Bank and US Social security payments, one is where the money is direct deposited into the Bangkok Bank's New York branch which requires the in person, yes I am still alive visit, to a branch and is controlled by an agreement between the US Social Security Administration and Bangkok Bank with SSA setting the rules

The other is having your Social Security Direct deposit sent to a US bank of your choice and then transferring the funds via EFTS to your Thai Bangkok Bank account via the New York branch, this method does not have a reporting requirement. Since most banks in the US do not charge for domestic electronic funds transfers this is the preferred way to get your Social Security payments, and if you are especially lazy then you can set up a standing transfer order from your US bank to do this automatically

Those who have problems getting into the SS portal is usually because they are not aware of the fact that the portal is only reachable during specified times

post-10942-0-13789400-1453429735_thumb.p

There are two programs with Bangkok Bank and US Social security payments, one is where the money is direct deposited into the Bangkok Bank's New York branch which requires the in person, yes I am still alive visit, to a branch and is controlled by an agreement between the US Social Security Administration and Bangkok Bank with SSA setting the rules

The other is having your Social Security Direct deposit sent to a US bank of your choice and then transferring the funds via EFTS to your Thai Bangkok Bank account via the New York branch, this method does not have a reporting requirement. Since most banks in the US do not charge for domestic electronic funds transfers this is the preferred way to get your Social Security payments, and if you are especially lazy then you can set up a standing transfer order from your US bank to do this automatically

Those who have problems getting into the SS portal is usually because they are not aware of the fact that the portal is only reachable during specified times

attachicon.gifSS hours.png

A problem I have run into with accessing the Social Security web site is with my 3bb Fiber connection I cannot access the site. With my AIS Fibre connection I can.

Just checked my bank statement. Supposed to be deposited on the third of each month. This time it was deposited according to my bank on the 31st of December. Same amount of money. Will have to wait for the Feb. statement to see if there is a difference.

It was deposited on the 31st because the 3rd was a Sunday. Whenever the pay date falls on a weekend, they pay on the last business day before the normal pay day. Since the 1st was the New Year holiday, they paid on the day before, Thursday, Dec.31.

Note that this screws up your incone for 2015, because you actually get 13 payments for that year. In most cases, this is meaningless, but for people with means-tested insurance, or other benefits, some adjustment may be necessary.

This is not totally correct. Prior to May 1, 1997 this would be true. But all retirees who started claiming benefits after this date, have their pay dates, on either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month. Birthday on the 1st thru the 10th - 2nd Weds, 11th thru 20th - 3rd Weds, 20th to end of month 4th Weds.

It depends on where you live when you first file for benefits. If you file while you are overseas, your pay date is the 3rd of every month. And for months when that date falls on a weekend or holiday, it is as I described. At least that was the case when I filed in 2012.

Hope this clears it up for you.

The supplemental policies to Parts A and B (no supplemental or Medicare Advantage insurer will cover you unless you're already paying into Part) that I've read have a very strict and limited coverage of anybody outside the US for the first 90 days only. It's emergency coverage only....and not even a very liberal emergency coverage.

You either opt in or opt out of Part B. If you opt in, you pay every month regardless if you're in the US or not (SS deducts it from your monthly check). If you've opted out, no supplemental or Medicare Advantage plan will pay anything as noted above. And, presuming you've opted out, you have to pay some significant financial penalties (much higher monthly payments) and will end up with a time gap in coverage that could present a real problem for some people needing immediate care.

Not 100% sure on how he done it, but I know a guy that was out of the US for a few years and had dropped Part B. He was able to immediately start Part B back in the US using some special rules they have about enrollment periods. From my understanding being out of the country during the last enrollment period is a qualifier for a special enrollment period that will allow you to get Part B back immediately. Since I was not involved in this and got the story after the fact, I can't vouch for it but I see no reason for someone to lie about it.

I believe I may have found an alternative to USAA where you are eligible to join with any length of military time, get a free Visa debit card that can also be used to make purchases both online and offline, comes a checking account with no checking fees or balance requirements and would reimburse all or most ATM and foreign transaction fees.

Before I provide the name or any more information, I want to make sure this is a valid alternative to using USAA or getting Social Security benefits direct deposited into the Bangkok Bank which is what I currently have. There are a few glitches I found with the online signup process but I have verified membership is open to eligible persons outside the USA. I will post further information as I get it.

Not 100% sure on how he done it, but I know a guy that was out of the US for a few years and had dropped Part B. He was able to immediately start Part B back in the US using some special rules they have about enrollment periods. From my understanding being out of the country during the last enrollment period is a qualifier for a special enrollment period that will allow you to get Part B back immediately. Since I was not involved in this and got the story after the fact, I can't vouch for it but I see no reason for someone to lie about it.

Nobody is suggesting anybody is lying about anything. There are a few exceptions to the general rules. For example, if somebody is 65 or over and still working and getting health insurance through an employer, they don't have to sign up for Part B and there's no penalty or time lapse for them later when they do sign up for Part B. But for most of us who are fully retired or not receiving some extended health insurance from some employer plan, there are financial penalties for opting out and signing up later and you just cannot opt back in with "X" hours of notice (I believe your "opt back in period" for enrollment or re-enrollment relates to a time period of a couple of months before/after your next birthday). If your friend didn't qualify for any of the exceptions, maybe he just happened to get lucky with the re-enrollment time period (however, as to the monthly cost, I can't believe he didn't have to pay a higher monthly cost as a financial penalty unless he somehow qualified for one of the special exceptions).

For those moving out of the US and they are 100% they won't be returning to live there for any reason, I suppose paying for Part B would simply be tossing money down the drain. For me, while I live here about 9 months a year, I'm not 100% sure that I won't be returning as maybe I'll change my mind some day in the future. Plus I want that Part B coverage when I'm back there each summer.

1000 USD in SS payments...what you retire at age 12......not much for the kitty kitty fund...?

For the life of me I cannot understand why you would want to ridicule someone. There many be personal reasons for his SS amount for which I don't see where you have any right to smear him. Don't be such a jerk!

I understand....ridiculing is what drums up revenue ..........duh

and besides why else would you have almost 310,000 subscribers and possibly 100 regular posters....

success!

I believe I may have found an alternative to USAA where you are eligible to join with any length of military time, get a free Visa debit card that can also be used to make purchases both online and offline, comes a checking account with no checking fees or balance requirements and would reimburse all or most ATM and foreign transaction fees.

Before I provide the name or any more information, I want to make sure this is a valid alternative to using USAA or getting Social Security benefits direct deposited into the Bangkok Bank which is what I currently have. There are a few glitches I found with the online signup process but I have verified membership is open to eligible persons outside the USA. I will post further information as I get it.

There is a 1% Foreign exchange fee for their USAA Savings Bank ATM card use in a foreign bank ATM, plus there are no longer any reimbursements for use of ATM card fees outside of the US, unless you are an active duty member deployed

There is a 1% cash back for using their USAA Credit card but that is negated by their 1% foreign transaction fee

But EFTS to any domestic bank are free ( Bangkok Bank NY branch is considered a domestic bank since it has a US routing number)

Unless you have an APO address here or a permanent address in the US I think that you will have a hard time opening a USAA Bank account and they are currently transitioning their Credit Card and ATM cards from Master Card to Visa

You can certainly enroll in Part B at any time whether or not you are in the US. If you enroll later than age 65 you will be penalized by paying a 10% surcharge on your monthly payment for every year over age 65 that you were not enrolled, unless you were covered by other qualifying insurance such as from an employer. For other Medicare programs such as Part C, D, etc. you cannot be enrolled unless residing in the US. If you return to the US after living abroad you have a two-month window in which to enroll in those programs without financial penalty and without exclusion of pre-existing conditions.

There is a 1% Foreign exchange fee for their USAA Savings Bank ATM card use in a foreign bank ATM, plus there are no longer any reimbursements for use of ATM card fees outside of the US, unless you are an active duty member deployed

There is a 1% cash back for using their USAA Credit card but that is negated by their 1% foreign transaction fee

But EFTS to any domestic bank are free ( Bangkok Bank NY branch is considered a domestic bank since it has a US routing number)

Unless you have an APO address here or a permanent address in the US I think that you will have a hard time opening a USAA Bank account and they are currently transitioning their Credit Card and ATM cards from Master Card to Visa

I don't know why you are quoting me and then making reference to USAA. I said I believe I found an alternative to USAA so maybe you are confused, USAA is not the bank I am talking about.

Just checked my bank statement. Supposed to be deposited on the third of each month. This time it was deposited according to my bank on the 31st of December. Same amount of money. Will have to wait for the Feb. statement to see if there is a difference.

It was deposited on the 31st because the 3rd was a Sunday. Whenever the pay date falls on a weekend, they pay on the last business day before the normal pay day. Since the 1st was the New Year holiday, they paid on the day before, Thursday, Dec.31.

Note that this screws up your incone for 2015, because you actually get 13 payments for that year. In most cases, this is meaningless, but for people with means-tested insurance, or other benefits, some adjustment may be necessary.

This is not totally correct. Prior to May 1, 1997 this would be true. But all retirees who started claiming benefits after this date, have their pay dates, on either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month. Birthday on the 1st thru the 10th - 2nd Weds, 11th thru 20th - 3rd Weds, 20th to end of month 4th Weds.

It depends on where you live when you first file for benefits. If you file while you are overseas, your pay date is the 3rd of every month. And for months when that date falls on a weekend or holiday, it is as I described. At least that was the case when I filed in 2012.

I have a American address. I was getting it on the 3 Wednesday of the month up until about a year ago then suddenly it started coming on the 3rd. Not a big deal as they don't pay me enough to have to claim.

They lied to me about the amount on my early retirement. I called them and finally got through to them they said to bad. About a year later I went in and talked to them same story. I then from here had communication by e mail. Same answer. I found out 3 years ago they could have told me repay it and wait until I was 65 for the amount they had quoted to me for 62. They withheld that information. I figure I have bee donated about $300 a month towards the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Thank you George W Bush Jr.

I have a American address. I was getting it on the 3 Wednesday of the month up until about a year ago then suddenly it started coming on the 3rd. Not a big deal as they don't pay me enough to have to claim.

They lied to me about the amount on my early retirement. I called them and finally got through to them they said to bad. About a year later I went in and talked to them same story. I then from here had communication by e mail. Same answer. I found out 3 years ago they could have told me repay it and wait until I was 65 for the amount they had quoted to me for 62. They withheld that information. I figure I have bee donated about $300 a month towards the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Thank you George W Bush Jr.

For warned is for armed. Gotta do your research before making decisions or contact an independent expert who can clearly lay out your choices and options. I would not rely solely on the SS as a counsellor and/or advisor for my benefit options.

Yours is a bitter lesson for the rest of us.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I received my annual notification of benefit amount last week. This gives a breakdown.

Some people are also able to get information on the internet. I have never been able to get an account, even when I tried while in the USA a little over a year ago.

I too have been unable to open an account online. When I call and speak to an agent, they confirmed they could not do it either and I would have to go in person to an office. Haven't taken the time to do that yet. Just wanted to warn you that for whatever reason, the agent could not tell me, you may have to go in person.

Do you have a deduction for Medicare Part B? If so, you may be subject to an increase in the cost of your Medicare Part B payments for 2016. This affects high-earning retirees, and is on a graduated scale, based on income:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2015/11/16/its-official-medicare-part-b-premiums-will-rise-16-in-2016-for-some-seniors/#2715e4857a0b56e41b6651f8

Why pay for Part B if your living in Thailand. You can't use medicare here anyhow

Why pay for Part B if your living in Thailand. You can't use medicare here anyhow

One may choose to be cautious in case circumstances change and he/she decides to return to the US someday and the financial penalties for signing up well past age 65 are very severe.

Or, one may be retired US military and find it necessary to return and if he/she did not sign up for Part B, upon his/her return he/she would be ineligible for Tricare for Life until he/she signed up for Part B, with penalties of course, which serves as a secondary policy behind Medicare and covers a boatload of medical costs that Medicare does not cover.

It is like any insurance - we measure the potential risk and decide if we want to carry and accept that risk or move it to an insurance company, at a price of course.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Now what if you're handicapped, in a coma or otherwise unable to go to a Bangkok Bank branch to tend to your banking business each month? No problem! They will come to you! My experience here in Chiang Mai is that they will send branch officers to hospital rooms and homes to handle this important task for a charge of .... wait for it... 100 baht. If it appears that the situation is going to be on-going, they suggest that the responsible person go to the U.S. Consulate and execute the documents to become a representative payee. It's not a big deal. How do you think the residents at the several nursing homes in the area receive their SSA benefits?

Nice to hear that, if you've locked yourself into the SS Direct Deposit program, there are some workarounds, albeit with some effort. I guess this is good news for those who left home without an established US financial institution for their deposits -- and who cannot establish such while here.

But this is a far cry from saying the SS Direct Deposit is choice one -- particularly if you're saying someone in a coma could designate a "representative payee," since they certainly couldn't designate a power of attorney in that condition. And that nice bank employee, for only a 100 baht, will make a visit to your hospital bed? To what effect -- if you're in a coma? No, I like the idea of whoever has my ATM card and/or passbook to be able to work my finances without any additional red tape. For most, that would be one's wife.

By having your SS (and/or other government payments) direct deposited to a US bank/financial institution, most of which have free ACH these days, you can get that full SS amount into your Bangkok Bank account for the same cost as the SS Direct Deposit program. Or you can opt to not have all of it sent every month -- just in case sister Mildred in Buffalo needs a helping hand some months (try rerouting SS money mandated to Bangkok to sister Mildred). And, if you do want the full amount in Thailand every month -- but hate logging onto your online account in the US -- just set up a recurring automated monthly ACH.

Bottom line: the hugely more flexibility you have if your US Gov't SS or pension checks are routed through a US financial institution is far superior. I can only surmise that the popularity of the SS Direct Deposit program was before today's flexibility of online banking -- and the ACH thru Bangkok Bank NY option. Today, however, it certainly takes a distant second place.

Nice to hear that, if you've locked yourself into the SS Direct Deposit program, there are some workarounds, albeit with some effort. I guess this is good news for those who left home without an established US financial institution for their deposits -- and who cannot establish such while here.

But this is a far cry from saying the SS Direct Deposit is choice one -- particularly if you're saying someone in a coma could designate a "representative payee," since they certainly couldn't designate a power of attorney in that condition. And that nice bank employee, for only a 100 baht, will make a visit to your hospital bed? To what effect -- if you're in a coma? No, I like the idea of whoever has my ATM card and/or passbook to be able to work my finances without any additional red tape. For most, that would be one's wife.

By having your SS (and/or other government payments) direct deposited to a US bank/financial institution, most of which have free ACH these days, you can get that full SS amount into your Bangkok Bank account for the same cost as the SS Direct Deposit program. Or you can opt to not have all of it sent every month -- just in case sister Mildred in Buffalo needs a helping hand some months (try rerouting SS money mandated to Bangkok to sister Mildred). And, if you do want the full amount in Thailand every month -- but hate logging onto your online account in the US -- just set up a recurring automated monthly ACH.

Bottom line: the hugely more flexibility you have if your US Gov't SS or pension checks are routed through a US financial institution is far superior. I can only surmise that the popularity of the SS Direct Deposit program was before today's flexibility of online banking -- and the ACH thru Bangkok Bank NY option. Today, however, it certainly takes a distant second place.

Jim, as you said it really depends on someone's situation. You're assuming that someone has kept a U.S. banking relationship AND has a wife capable of handling on-line banking.

I've seen too many situations where someone is incapacitated and their U.S. issued ATM card is worthless, they can't remember their internet password and calls back to their U.S. financial institution are fruitless because they aren't in a position to answer questions about the name of their third grade school teacher. If that same person had been receiving their Social Security thru Bangkok Bank, a bank officer would have been in the hospital room doling out the funds. Even if the person was in a coma, they'd have verified identity by looking at the person and taking a fingerprint. (In these situations, they just give out funds for specified purposes, like to pay hospital bills, rent, utilities, etc -- they don't turn over the entire account balance to just anyone)

Personally, Hubby and I use a combination of these techniques. His Social Security is handled exactly has you describe, Jim. It's deposited in our U.S. bank account. But his private pension is deposited here in a Bangkok Bank account. Interestingly, the private pension company doesn't have the restrictions that SSA has with Bangkok Bank and that private pension is deposited into our joint account, one with an ATM card.

Personally, Hubby and I use a combination of these techniques. His Social Security is handled exactly has you describe, Jim. It's deposited in our U.S. bank account. But his private pension is deposited here in a Bangkok Bank account. Interestingly, the private pension company doesn't have the restrictions that SSA has with Bangkok Bank and that private pension is deposited into our joint account, one with an ATM card.

Yeah, I guess private pensions would duck the overly restrictive regulations. The wife and I only have US Gov't pensions, in addition to Social Security. One is Air Force, the other PBGC, from a bankrupt airline. But, maybe the PBGC, as an "independent agency of the US Gov't," wouldn't have similar restrictions.....

But I really wouldn't need a direct deposit to Thailand, that I ever could see. All our deposits go to USAA joint accounts, where my nephew is both POD beneficiary, as well as POA. If we have problems, can't see the nephew having problems getting our money to Thailand. Then, it would just a matter of who do we trust to visit Bangkok Bank to pay our bills. Hadn't really thought on that too much, as hadn't planned on both of us being incapacitated....

That's the thing -- everyone has to think thru their own personal situation and do "what if" planning. For someone here alone, or with a partner who isn't capable of stepping in, direct deposit of at least part of their retirement income into Bangkok Bank could be a lifesaver.

I know one fellow who lived off hand-outs from friends after a medical event until he was sufficiently recovered to return home to go visit his bank in person to "unlock" his account and payback the money he'd borrowed from his friends here. He didn't really want to have to do this, but in the end the only way he could figure out how to access his money was to go visit the bank in person to gain access at the retirement deposits that had been building.

This discussion of planning for contingencies interests me. My wife and I split our time between the US and Thailand and she had decided if/when I kick the bucket she will move back to Thailand full time.

That would present some logistical challenges in that with investments and other stuff, she would need someone in the US to handle annual tax filing and any other stuff she requires.

We have found a local company back there and will do just that. So when the situation arises they will handle all her issues and will always be only a phone call away. Of course there is a fee for all of this, but it does make the both of us rest easier, now that, for better or worse, we have a plan.

Edited by SpokaneAl