ATM charges in Vietnam (Hanoi)

Planning a trip over to Hanoi for a week or so..

I will be taking my UK Nationwide Visa Debit card with me to obtain currency, and my Siam Commercial Bank MasterCard and Kasikorn Visa Debit cards for back up

I've been reading up about low maximum transactions (2 million Dong about £63), heavy withdrawal fees and many ATM's simply not working.

Has anyone got any up-to-date experience of the ATM's there and perhaps advice on the best ones to use or ones to avoid?

Many thanks

Foxboy,

There are several ATMs in Hanoi from local banks and some international banks such as HSBC, ANZ, Standard Charter etc.

Yes, I assume there will be high ATM transaction fees, and they like to gouge us on that anywhere in the world, we we're making international withdrawals.

As Cheeskraft noted, it's best to bring USD (or Euro) to the gold shops. There are gold shops in the Old Quarter tourist area on "Hang Bac" street. Hotels will exchange, but they'll a little extra for it.

Credit cards can also be used at the 3-star hotels, if you care.

Try Commonwealth bank ATM's. Low fees and I believe you can get 5M Dong or more per pull.

I am not sure how many in Hanoi but plenty in HCM.

Thanks Martin, that's the type of information I'm looking for thumbsup.gif

Techcombank has no withdrawal fees, but just 2 million dong per extraction. Suits me as I have no card charges, so can simply withdraw more than once.

But unless your have the FlexPlus or the FlexOne debit card, you will have some kind of card withdrawal fee.

Techcombank has no withdrawal fees, but just 2 million dong per extraction. Suits me as I have no card charges, so can simply withdraw more than once.

But unless your have the FlexPlus or the FlexOne debit card, you will have some kind of card withdrawal fee.

That's good to know. I get charged a fixed amount plus a percentage for each withdrawal I make using my card, but at least I now know there's no extra charges lumped on if I use this ATM. Thanks

That's good to know. I get charged a fixed amount plus a percentage for each withdrawal I make using my card, but at least I now know there's no extra charges lumped on if I use this ATM. Thanks

Get a better card for future trips; Revolut, Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, N&P Gold Classic...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I'm back in Thailand now.

I withdrew dollars from SCB ATM at Suvarnabhumi Airport as a back up plan, which did come in handy actually

First night tried 6 ATM's before the last one worked, slightly panicky for a while!

Largest withdrawal I could get was from ANZ which gave me 5 million dong - charge was 40,000 dong plus my Nationwide charges at home

On the last day I withdrew a load more dong as I'm sure to go back there and much prefer having currency as soon as I land.

I've experienced ATM issues before landing in new countries and it's not a good feeling. An Irish lad stepped in to help when I arrived in Kuala Lumpa one year and couldn't get any of 4 ATM's to work. He gave me the bus fare into town, which was only about a dollar, but a real life saver at the time. I hope to be able to pass the favour on to someone in need one day

No Commbank ATMs in Hanoi at the moment.

Try ANZ, HSBC and other foreign banks for higher withdrawal limits. At least one Vietnamese bank also offers a limit of 6 million Dong per transaction.

Are you joking? Click here

Once you've done that, click here and remember to switch brain on before you make such ridiculous statements in the future.

Thanks guys, I'm back in Thailand now.

I withdrew dollars from SCB ATM at Suvarnabhumi Airport as a back up plan, which did come in handy actually

First night tried 6 ATM's before the last one worked, slightly panicky for a while!

Largest withdrawal I could get was from ANZ which gave me 5 million dong - charge was 40,000 dong plus my Nationwide charges at home

On the last day I withdrew a load more dong as I'm sure to go back there and much prefer having currency as soon as I land.

I've experienced ATM issues before landing in new countries and it's not a good feeling. An Irish lad stepped in to help when I arrived in Kuala Lumpa one year and couldn't get any of 4 ATM's to work. He gave me the bus fare into town, which was only about a dollar, but a real life saver at the time. I hope to be able to pass the favour on to someone in need one day

Get one of the cards suggested earlier for the next time...and then use the ATMs that I have suggested. At least that will give you a Mastercard option. I had no problem with the ATM at the airport, but I had a fallback at hand anyway. No problem with finding a Techcom Bank ATM in town either.

yes I'm going to look into these thanks, Nationwide used to be pretty good but I believe Halifax Clarity and N & P are better. I'll check the others out too. Thanks for the heads up thumbsup.gif

Get a better card for future trips; Revolut, Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, N&P Gold Classic...

yes I'm going to look into these thanks, Nationwide used to be pretty good but I believe Halifax Clarity and N & P are better. I'll check the others out too. Thanks for the heads up thumbsup.gif

For those who have children between 11 and 17, there is also the Nationwide FlexOne account...

• 2 weeks later...

Try ANZ, HSBC and other foreign banks for higher withdrawal limits. At least one Vietnamese bank also offers a limit of 6 million Dong per transaction.

Once you've done that, click here and remember to switch brain on before you make such ridiculous statements in the future.

Excuse me idiot, I've lived in Vietnam and I have NEVER seen any Commbank branches or ATMs in Hanoi. A simple search will reveal they only exist in Ho Chi Minh and surrounding areas.

Yes one bank allows a withdrawal of 6 million Dong, It was called Dong-A bank.

And please switch on your brain first. Loser.

Excuse me idiot, I've lived in Vietnam and I have NEVER seen any Commbank branches or ATMs in Hanoi. A simple search will reveal they only exist in Ho Chi Minh and surrounding areas.

Yes one bank allows a withdrawal of 6 million Dong, It was called Dong-A bank.

And please switch on your brain first. Loser.

Excuse me, but are you mentally retarded in some way? The idiot is perhaps the one who insists on looking for a Commbank, when in fact all references are to T E C H C O M B A N K

I even provided you with links in so that you could click through and see for yourself. Clue: Click on the T E C H C O M B A N K link above.

Perhaps you are suffering from undiagnosed dyslexia. Though likely I suspect I was right the first time. Switch your brain on before embarrassing yourself by writing nonsense.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to open up an old topic, but for anyone new who stumbled across this page in search of cheap ATMs in Hanoi (like me), the Techcombank ATMs are no longer without charges - I tried to withdraw today, and it attempted to charge me 66000VND on a 2mil VND withdrawal. 

Just a heads up for anyone.

Ended up getting 3mil from ACB bank with a slightly lower charge of 55000VND. 

On 23/09/2017 at 5:38 AM, StampCollector90 said:

Sorry to open up an old topic, but for anyone new who stumbled across this page in search of cheap ATMs in Hanoi (like me), the Techcombank ATMs are no longer without charges - I tried to withdraw today, and it attempted to charge me 66000VND on a 2mil VND withdrawal. 

I was in Ha Noi earlier this year and managed to find ATMs that did not impose a fee. Though I couldn't avoid being charged on arrival at the airport.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:38 AM, StampCollector90 said:

Quite a bargain compared to Thailand.

Archived