I've let some kind of virus in, how do I get rid of it?

giddyup

Don't know where I got it from, but now when I click on a saved site (like TV Internet) a page opens like "Market Busters", but it can be a whole lot of different ads. I have run scans using AVG, CCleaner and ADW cleaner but nothing will get rid of it. Any suggestions?

If you have anti-virus software installed, run a deep scan. However, your anti-virus should detect any infiltration in realtime; if it doesn't work this way, then IMO it isn't worth having installed.

If possible, run Malwarebytes or whatever your favourite anti-malware software is.

Check what extensions you are running on your browser, anything you don't recognize disable.

Delete your internet history and temporary internet files/folders.

Delete the offending link from your favourites/bookmark folders. log back into the site through typing the URL into the box.

Infestation comes in many forms (and from many sources) and it is good that you learn the differences between virus, trojan, worm, bot, malware, etc. and more importantly what actions you need to detect & defeat them before they can do damage to your system and, as in your case, cause irritation and frustration.

Might be good for someone in the know to make a thread and make it a sticky for this sub-forum for the above differences?

If it's Windows 10, you can re-install if nothing else works...pain in the arse but it works

No, it's Windows 7. I've downloaded SuperAntiSpyware and run a full scan. It found more than 160 threats, so they have been removed and we'll see if it's fixed the problem. Fingers crossed.

If it's Windows 10, you can re-install if nothing else works...pain in the arse but it works

No, it's Windows 7. I've downloaded SuperAntiSpyware and run a full scan. It found more than 160 threats, so they have been removed and we'll see if it's fixed the problem. Fingers crossed.

I think thats one of the best, so hopefully it worked, but turn off system restore before you run.

Try anti root kit as well, like this free one

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/disinfection/5350

or

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-rootkit-scanner-remover.htm

Eset Smart Security should be all you need. Start with Malwarebytes and clean your system, then install Eset.That should be all you'd ever need. Yes, there is a cost to Eset, but it's surely cheaper than using a free piece of garbage that doesn't work!

In my experience, the best by far ... both free version and paid .. is AVAST.

I started on it years ago when i had a similar issue. My IT guy ran the free version and it worked so well, i have been a subscriber for about 7 years.

Just today it "captured" an exe malware bug in real time. More importantly it has boot time virus scan and their safe zone browser allows worry free on line banking and use of sensitive data. Of course, one can leave the Safe Browser up 24 / 7

If you really want to get the most from it, there is a subscription that allows it to be loaded on three separate machines, so you and two friends can share the cost.

Good Luck.

AVG may not pick up the virus. It is pretty good but misses a lot. Try one of the online scans that are free from McAfee, Semantic etc. If it detects the virus but doesnt clean it look for a tool specifically for the virus you have. Also get Anti Malwarebytes (there is a free and paid version. Both versions do the same just that the paid version runs it constantly in the back ground) and run that.

Eset Smart Security should be all you need. Start with Malwarebytes and clean your system, then install Eset.That should be all you'd ever need. Yes, there is a cost to Eset, but it's surely cheaper than using a free piece of garbage that doesn't work!

ESET is good. I prefer Kaspersky but have used ESET as well. AVG is ok but misses a lot of viruses

Had the same problem a while ago.

Kept coming up with some selling webpage as my homepage.

Mine was a browser infection.

Solution for me was;

right click your broswer shortcut on desktop....Select properties.....look in target field, I found that this unwanted page had tagged it onto the end of the intended web page....Deleting this did the trick...

Hope this helps if you havent solved it already.

A lot of these viruses and malware tend to prevent you running any anti-virus software you have already loaded, or even prevent you from downloading any new anti-virus software. So it can get a little frustrating and those without any tech knowledge may do more harm than good when fiddling around in Safe mode etc. One thing I have used a few times is called RKill. Seems to do the trick when the above problems arise and once it has cleared the issues, you can then generally run your normal anti-virus software to help clean things up. RKill is free and there is plenty of info on it if you just Google it. For a paid virus protection software I use ESET Smart Security and never really had a problem since installing it. Cheers.

If you get infections in your browsers, try Hitman Pro Alert (free),it works every time

you open your browser,also the same thing from Malwarebytes called Anti-Exploit.

Also a good product that works along side your AntiVirus, is Zemana AntiMalware,

they are giving away 3 months free,and it will revert to free version after that time,

and can use for scanning but no real time protection.I think it uses 10 different scan engines.

regards Worgeordie

The OP only mentioned one site that this happens on (TV Internet)

It could be that there are no viruses but that the websites in question are opening ads themselves.

My computers all run on Linux and so I have no issue with viruses, however some sites such as kickass.to open new browser tabs with ads for Alibaba and other sites.

OP, I can offer more help if you can be more specific about what sites this is happening on. ie, I can test if those sites open ads for me or not.

If you get infections in your browsers, try Hitman Pro Alert (free),it works every time

you open your browser,also the same thing from Malwarebytes called Anti-Exploit.

Also a good product that works along side your AntiVirus, is Zemana AntiMalware,

they are giving away 3 months free,and it will revert to free version after that time,

and can use for scanning but no real time protection.I think it uses 10 different scan engines.

regards Worgeordie

Thanks .. good tips!

is it a free AVG ? I had that on my computer useless, I had to buy a proper anti virus now no problems

Ive used it for MANY years actually when it first came out. My company also used it because of its great performance. Its been one of the top rated also since it first came out.

Its definitely not useless.

Id be honestly curious to know why you think it is though.

The OP only mentioned one site that this happens on (TV Internet)

It could be that there are no viruses but that the websites in question are opening ads themselves.

My computers all run on Linux and so I have no issue with viruses, however some sites such as kickass.to open new browser tabs with ads for Alibaba and other sites.

OP, I can offer more help if you can be more specific about what sites this is happening on. ie, I can test if those sites open ads for me or not.

I just mentioned TV (Thai Visa) as an example, it could be Ebay or any of my saved sites, or opening a new page. Not happening at present since I installed Malwarebytes.