Is it a good thing for TV to have no real competition?

stander

There are no expat websites in Thailand that comes even close to being as good as TV, it’s a no-contest.

I enjoy TV, find it very useful and enjoy the banter. If you take my local expat website, and see how they are struggling, losing more advertisers and sponsors than they are gaining and with only 10 or so regular posters and 4 of them are moderators.

Is it a good thing for TV to have no real competition?

A major issue with competitor forums is that all too often they're set up by banned members bearing grudges against the moderators who banned them.

These banned members -- many of whom suffer from a range of unresolved OCD issues -- frequently operate their new forums simply as a means of "getting back" at the people who banned them.

The psychology here is quite interesting: rather than accepting that they were kicked out for valid reasons, the banned members portray themselves as "victims" of unjust moderation and, consequently, set the tone for their new forum.

What happens next is a familiar cycle. The new forum becomes a vehicle via which disgruntled individuals can vent their spleen at the expense of valid, interesting and worthwhile content.

And as time goes by, the new forum goes down the toilet.

===

Also worth considering is that individuals banned from ThaiVisa are generally antisocial or people with little or nothing to contribute. These individuals' posts are frequently off-topic, petty-minded, vindictive and, to be frank, worthless.

All of you reading this may know already that the very best contributors to ThaiVisa (StreetCowboy, VillageFarang, Transam, Smokie, GuestHouse, and many, many others) almost always post content that is worth reading.

As an example, I may or may not like VillageFarang. I may love him; I may loathe him. But I always enjoy reading his stuff.

Edited by Fabricus

As, so far this has remained a "general" discussion of forums it can proceed, but please stay within forum rules and do not discuss moderation actions here on thaivisa.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Thank you.

A major issue with competitor forums is that all too often they're set up by banned members bearing grudges against the moderators who banned them.

If this is directed at our forum you are way off the tangent.

I know Shri our admin is friends with the former owner here, and I also met him at a function a couple of years back to discuss the possibility of our two forums doing business in the form of advertising.

Sometimes parallel lines are not meant to cross, but I assure you we did not set up the place as a direct result of any of the above mentioned in your post, suggesting such is a blatant attempt to demean us, actually it's libel, please rephrase your post in an socially/forum acceptable manner.

You may apologise at your convenience.