what kind of fun tourist stuff can I do in chiang mai?

P4K

So I've been in thailand for about 4 months (cm about 6 weeks). Im 21 and for the most part since Ive been here ive done nearly no "tourist stuff", my idea of fun is just going and and drinking. I've been boogie boarding and went to a couple of muay thai fights, checked out the markets, and I've been to doi suthep but have done nothing else. I wanna try trekking, not interested in the elephant stuff cause I hear its animal cruelty. What fun stuff, events, festivals ect is there to do in cm?

Edited by P4K

There are Hill Tribe villages to explore, perhaps get friendly with some of the young women, get invited to share a meal... You can go trekking, as you said, learn to rock climb at a great indoor wall with top-notch teachers, AVT trail riding, mountain bike tours, rafting (although the water is pretty low right now,) explore parts of the city you normally don't move through, (I've been doing a lot of that lately, and I've lived here a long time. There are hundreds of small back sois, each with their own 'personality,) take some cooking lessons or meditation classes. If you don't mind getting up early, there is Tai Chi in the park around 6am. The aviary in the Chiang Mai Zoo is great early in the morning too. How about horseback riding? Archery at a really nice range complete with snack-bar? Golf? Bowling? Swimming? And these are just the day-time things. Night time offers another entire range of activities, from clubs, cafes, arcades, malls, theater, etc., etc.

How about becoming a saber fencer? Perhaps an epee fencer? We have room for beginners in our club, are happy to teach you how, and equipment you can use. And it's free.....

There are Hill Tribe villages to explore, perhaps get friendly with some of the young women, get invited to share a meal... You can go trekking, as you said, learn to rock climb at a great indoor wall with top-notch teachers, AVT trail riding, mountain bike tours, rafting (although the water is pretty low right now,) explore parts of the city you normally don't move through, (I've been doing a lot of that lately, and I've lived here a long time. There are hundreds of small back sois, each with their own 'personality,) take some cooking lessons or meditation classes. If you don't mind getting up early, there is Tai Chi in the park around 6am. The aviary in the Chiang Mai Zoo is great early in the morning too. How about horseback riding? Archery at a really nice range complete with snack-bar? Golf? Bowling? Swimming? And these are just the day-time things. Night time offers another entire range of activities, from clubs, cafes, arcades, malls, theater, etc., etc.

How about becoming a saber fencer? Perhaps an epee fencer? We have room for beginners in our club, are happy to teach you how, and equipment you can use. And it's free.....

When he gets done with all that he can see a tour agency and find more places to go. My money says he sticks to the booze and the Broads. A lot easier than all the touristy stuff.

Check out Patara Elephant Farm. The elephants a well taken care of, often rescued from other camps, roam free at night and get a good scrub down and bath every day. No hooks are used. I strongly don't support animal abuse but do support awareness and Patara does a good job in my opinion. They actively breed and they truly love the animals. You will love it and learn a lot about these majestic animals.

Go straight north about an hour, get a local guide, climb Doi Chiang Dao (right off the highway--it's the evil-looking mountain to your left). Take warm clothes, you'll need to spend a night on top. When I was there, we woke up with ice on the ground. Incredible views. The trek will clean out all that booze.

There are natural attractions such as Huay Tung Tao Lake, which is a beautiful spot to watch the sunset, and it's close Bua Tong, AKA Sticky Falls. There is the 3rd Batallion Development shooting range, where ex-military men will guide you through the experience. Tip: ask for ear defenders and ear plugs once you've selected your weapons, as they may not offer them without prompting. I do take my own ear plugs along with me because I love my hearing as it is!

I highly recommend connecting with Chiang Mai City life online magazine. They advertise venues and events all over town, including many free events.

If you fancy dancing there's a vibrant Salsa scene in Chiang Mai. It's inexpensive and you'll meet many new faces, both westerners and locals.

You could check out yoga classes and workshops. There are also many Thai massage schools to choose from, where you can do courses from 1/2 day up to 4 weeks.

In case you haven't noticed, Chiang Mai loves festivals and markets. So keep your eyes peeled for posters and online ads for these. They will generally feature live music, low cost food stalls and tiny bars. I hope you enjoy your time in Chiang Mai :-)

Go for a swim in Grand Canyon - its a really cool place , beautiful , have food and cold drinks , and plenty of young western girls hanging out sunbathing and swimming.

Best way to get there is to rent a scooter , be aware that google maps leads you only almost there but there are plenty of locals that can show you the rest of the way. There is even signs everywhere that they will guide you for 40 baht .

Secondly , Rent a scooter/motorbike , all the cool places are out of town in the hills.

I heard from a couple of girls that Pai is a really cool place with a funky vibe and a nice party scene , full of young sluts backpacker girls looking for a good time.

Pai is about 100+ km from CM, but a nice ride trought the hills with awesome scenery.

Instead of the highway, take the mountain road (a bit longer but safer and beautiful), first drive to Samoeng and from there to Pai.

If you have more time , drive in the direction of Chiang Rai.

(Maybe some of the oldtimers here can recommend a bike shop that gives you a good bike)

I know you dont like animal cruelty , but the tiger world was one of my favourites in CM , yeah the tigers are doped and its maybe a bit cruel, but its some awsome pictures you can show your friends back home petting a tiger :) And who knows , maybe the tigers are actually enjoying getting stoned like we humans do..

Go for a swim in Grand Canyon - its a really cool place , beautiful , have food and cold drinks , and plenty of young western girls hanging out sunbathing and swimming.

Best way to get there is to rent a scooter , be aware that google maps leads you only almost there but there are plenty of locals that can show you the rest of the way. There is even signs everywhere that they will guide you for 40 baht .

Secondly , Rent a scooter/motorbike , all the cool places are out of town in the hills.

I heard from a couple of girls that Pai is a really cool place with a funky vibe and a nice party scene , full of young sluts backpacker girls looking for a good time.

Pai is about 100+ km from CM, but a nice ride trought the hills with awesome scenery.

Instead of the highway, take the mountain road (a bit longer but safer and beautiful), first drive to Samoeng and from there to Pai.

If you have more time , drive in the direction of Chiang Rai.

(Maybe some of the oldtimers here can recommend a bike shop that gives you a good bike)

I know you dont like animal cruelty , but the tiger world was one of my favourites in CM , yeah the tigers are doped and its maybe a bit cruel, but its some awsome pictures you can show your friends back home petting a tiger :) And who knows , maybe the tigers are actually enjoying getting stoned like we humans do..

Tiger Kingdom have notices up stating that their Tigers are not doped but are natural as they were brought up from birth there. Also that they are nocturnal hence sleep in the day. This is what they say, the truth I don't know?

There are natural attractions such as Huay Tung Tao Lake, which is a beautiful spot to watch the sunset, and it's close Bua Tong, AKA Sticky Falls. There is the 3rd Batallion Development shooting range, where ex-military men will guide you through the experience. Tip: ask for ear defenders and ear plugs once you've selected your weapons, as they may not offer them without prompting. I do take my own ear plugs along with me because I love my hearing as it is!

I highly recommend connecting with Chiang Mai City life online magazine. They advertise venues and events all over town, including many free events.

If you fancy dancing there's a vibrant Salsa scene in Chiang Mai. It's inexpensive and you'll meet many new faces, both westerners and locals.

You could check out yoga classes and workshops. There are also many Thai massage schools to choose from, where you can do courses from 1/2 day up to 4 weeks.

In case you haven't noticed, Chiang Mai loves festivals and markets. So keep your eyes peeled for posters and online ads for these. They will generally feature live music, low cost food stalls and tiny bars. I hope you enjoy your time in Chiang Mai :-)

May I know where is the venue for the Salsa dancing? Is it ok to go watch but don't dance? Of course I'm willing to pay for the drink.

At which website can I find schedule of all the activities/ festivals in Chiang Mai?

Thank you and good day![emoji4]

May I know where is the venue for the Salsa dancing? Is it ok to go watch but don't dance? Of course I'm willing to pay for the drink.

At which website can I find schedule of all the activities/ festivals in Chiang Mai?

Have you had a gander at the City Life Website?

If you're on Facebook join the public groups: Salsa Club Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Dance All You Can. I don't think anyone would mind if you turned up and enjoyed a drink and watch the dancing. Although it's definitely more fun when you participate :-D

I don't know of anywhere specifically where you can find all of the cities festivals mentioned in one place. I usually spot them advertised via printed posters about town, banners and billboards. You can follow Chiang Mai City Life on Facebook, or see if you can pick up a hard copy of the monthly edition, they do advertise festivals and loads of entertainment

If you want to get an idea of low budget retired expat life go to the Kad Suan Kaew food court around 7pm when the ancient Philippine Band fires up. The lowest of the low Cheap Charlies don't have even the Deng for a Kalasin slapper or Burman catamite and come solo, with libations from 7/11. You can hit them up for the lowest price of eggs and perhaps expired blood puddings from Makro.