Outlook Express/hotmail problem

R123

When I get into my hotmail account the messages are displayed but I cannot open them. Nor can I type a "New" message. The same problem is on my phone and tablet. But I have another hotmail account which is working fine on the PC which suggests no problem with my browser etc.

Any suggestions to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Why are you even using such an outdated program would be the first question? That was discontinued with Windows XP. It might be a good time to change your program if having issues. I can not advise on what is best as a very light user of email but have no problem getting Hotmail on Gmail.

I have exactly the same problem with my Outlook account, with the exception of (at the moment) I can still access my email on my iPad. Do you have the word 'Preview!' In brackets in the top left hand corner after Outlook Mail? Because I don't remember ever seeing that before?

It was fine this morning. I did have an online chat this afternoon with a guy from Microsoft but he wasn't much help, just informed me that there where changes and updates being implemented and if I wanted a quick fix then I needed to buy Microsoft Office 2016. I said 'no thanks' He did say it would right itself in time, but he couldn't predict when.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but at least you know It's not just you.

Why are you even using such an outdated program would be the first question? That was discontinued with Windows XP. It might be a good time to change your program if having issues. I can not advise on what is best as a very light user of email but have no problem getting Hotmail on Gmail.

Outlook Express was last used in XP...maybe he's still using XP.

I have exactly the same problem with my Outlook account, with the exception of (at the moment) I can still access my email on my iPad. Do you have the word 'Preview!' In brackets in the top left hand corner after Outlook Mail? Because I don't remember ever seeing that before?

It was fine this morning. I did have an online chat this afternoon with a guy from Microsoft but he wasn't much help, just informed me that there where changes and updates being implemented and if I wanted a quick fix then I needed to buy Microsoft Office 2016. I said 'no thanks' He did say it would right itself in time, but he couldn't predict when.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but at least you know It's not just you.

Same thing here. Two days ago one of my Hotmail/Outlook email accounts would let me see the screen with my emails but my emails wouldn't open, neither would other functions such as Delete or send New email.

I used Microsoft online chat and got a rep who I allowed to gain access to my computer to find out what the problem was and I expected he would fix it. That was probably problem number 2.

Instead he comes up with some BS the problem was that the emails have been migrated to a new interface and the way he could solve it was for me to purchase Office 365 at an annual fee of 2499 baht but he would give me a discount of only 2099 baht for the first year if I would go ahead now. He persisted but I told him I would have to think about it. Right.

Since it is not just me this has happened to I have a strong feeling there is a an illegal, fraudulent scam being perpetrated here and there is no doubt who is behind it. This needs to be looked into and more people need to report what is taking place.

For now, this problem is only for one of several user accounts I have on my desktop and I can still access the account in question on my laptop. I still will need to get my computer guy to come to the house and see what he can do and what I need to do in the future to avoid this kind of problem.

Anyone else running into this or have ideas on solving the problem other than just saying switch to a different email system which I will be doing? I'm also going to start doing some online searches to see if this is happening in other countries besides here. If it is this could get very interesting and possibly lead to something more than just a few complaints being filed. I for one am sick and tired of what these corporate behemoths think they can get away with while they continue to line their pockets at the expense of the rest of us. Enough already.

Thanks tyznd. At least I know that its not unique to me as earlier confirmed by Dmaxdan. I also today allowed a microsoft tech to gain remote access but they could not solve the problem. and said i should contact the "outlook" tech support team. But not so far able to get the right address for them.

I am in the process of changing to a different email usage. The problem is not only can i not access my emails (though new ones I can see and are arriving) I also cannot get contact details which are in my hotmail account to tell people to email me elsewhere.

If you or others get any more info, please do post here.

Are you guys saying the problem is with Outlook the email program which comes with Office or outlook.com the webmail in a browser which used to be called Hotmail. I ask because several terms are being bandied around here which all refer to different things.

Also, some mention it not working on tablets and phones - again from the browser or the built-in email program?

EDIT: a screen shot would be nice, happy to take a look by PM if you don't want to post it here.

Are you guys saying the problem is with Outlook the email program which comes with Office or outlook.com the webmail in a browser which used to be called Hotmail. I ask because several terms are being bandied around here which all refer to different things.

Also, some mention it not working on tablets and phones - again from the browser or the built-in email program?

EDIT: a screen shot would be nice, happy to take a look by PM if you don't want to post it here.

The problem is with outlook.com that used to be Hotmail. The Microsoft tech (salesman) I chatted with mentioned it would be safer and more secure to switch from Outlook web to Outlook application and that was the only way he could gain me access to my email account. He said other than that, there was nothing he could do to fix the problem which to me was nothing more than a sales pitch for me to buy Office 365 which sounded like a con game to me.

No one other than myself has access to my computer or email accounts, which is what he implied must have happened. The only one I can think of who could have done something with my email account is Microsoft and it appears they have a motive for doing so with the blatant attempt to sell me a product I never needed in the past and won't be buying in the future. I think this is just one more sign of how desperate and bad things are going to get in the near future. Hope I'm wrong.

Bench499d I don't think a screen shot would do you any good. All you will basically see is a typical page with emails on it, except when you click on any of the emails or other tabs nothing happens. Actually if you click on an email on the list where the body of the email should appear it is just blank white space on my computer.

The problem is with outlook.com that used to be Hotmail. The Microsoft tech (salesman) I chatted with mentioned it would be safer and more secure to switch from Outlook web to Outlook application and that was the only way he could gain me access to my email account. He said other than that, there was nothing he could do to fix the problem which to me was nothing more than a sales pitch for me to buy Office 365 which sounded like a con game to me.

No one other than myself has access to my computer or email accounts, which is what he implied must have happened. The only one I can think of who could have done something with my email account is Microsoft and it appears they have a motive for doing so with the blatant attempt to sell me a product I never needed in the past and won't be buying in the future. I think this is just one more sign of how desperate and bad things are going to get in the near future. Hope I'm wrong.

Bench499d I don't think a screen shot would do you any good. All you will basically see is a typical page with emails on it, except when you click on any of the emails or other tabs nothing happens. Actually if you click on an email on the list where the body of the email should appear it is just blank white space on my computer.

Yep it does sound to me like the MS support rep tried to up sell you. What he said about Outlook the mail program being more secure was a load of tosh and frankly deserves a complaint to MS. Millions of people use outlook.com every day with no issues.

However back to your problem, can you let us know which browser you are using and have you tried a different one? Also, can you verify that Javascript is enabled in the browser settings and that you are accepting cookies?

I just logged onto my live.com and outlook.com email accounts via my browser (was using Chrome)...no problem logging on. I then sent an email from each accout to my gmail.com email address.

I then fired up my Outlook as I use Outlook as my email client to send and receive emails. The emails I sent from live.com and outlook.com arrived no problem.

Summary: my live.com and outlook.com accounts are working fine. I'm using Win 10.

Lo and behold my email account that was not working now works just like magic.

Maybe after running me through the mill and finding out I wasn't going to buy their BS product they decided to back off and return my email to the way it was. Not a conspiracy folks, these guys tried to see who would bite on buying a product you don't need. Maybe the problem is fixed, maybe it isn't. I will be interested in hearing if others who were unable to get their emails can now do so.

Yes me too back now. Prior to that i sent off an urgent message on one of windows contact sites when i found where to write, plus earlier as mentioned an on line windows technician was given remote access to my computer etc.

Will see how long before it re-occurs or something similar. Its a crap email service and after them causing me considerable aggravation and time wasting, I have already started to arrange using another email and certainly not Outlook.

Cheers!

Yes me too back now. Prior to that i sent off an urgent message on one of windows contact sites when i found where to write, plus earlier as mentioned an on line windows technician was given remote access to my computer etc.

Will see how long before it re-occurs or something similar. Its a crap email service and after them causing me considerable aggravation and time wasting, I have already started to arrange using another email and certainly not Outlook.

Cheers!

What I didn't mention was I also went to the Microsoft Community prior to getting someone at MS on chat.

Then after getting scammed on the chat with the story the only way to fix the problem was to buy Office 365 I went back to MS Community and posted what had occurred was a blatant attempt to get me buy a product I didn't need or want and perhaps legal action needed to be taken and possibly a class action lawsuit, depending on how widespread the problem was.

Interestingly, the next post at the MS community site was not from one of their tech guys but it was a MS VP who entered into the conversation wanting to know about the problem I was having. More interesting, was shortly after that the problem disappeared and I could access the account that I was told couldn't be fixed by their tech guy unless I bought Office 365.

This wasn't a glitch based on the facts and what I was told and the attempt to get me to buy a product that was proven I didn't need. Luckily I didn't have to spend any more time or money contacting my computer guy to get this corrected but I definitely need to find another method to use for my emails as I have no confidence using anything put out by MS.

Archived