• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will grow in Thailand . I have seen Soidog's tomatoes and they are indeed impressive but his soil is very different from ours, (Also Buriram province). If I had the inclination I would try aquaponics but how many tomatoes can you eat? The best I can do is snatch a small crop of Thai tomatoes in the 'cool' season before the plants stop growing.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to be able to update this thread with some great photos over the next month or so. Me and the missus have a couple of hundred plants of 12 different varieties doing pretty well. For now, here's a photo of one of my friends plants. He used to grow them commercially but now only a few for personal consumption.

post-86157-0-94988700-1455521615_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I am growing tomatoes up in Samoeng this winter so I cannot use bad weather as an excuse. I just simply haven't had the time to give my plants the care they deserve and I've paid the price with a low yield and lots of deformed fruit. All but the first photo are of varieties not normally found in Thailand but the writing has been washed off the plant labels so I can't tell you what they all are. These are Thai cherries I just squeezed from old tomatoes and threw into the corn patch..

post-86157-0-50631800-1456965514_thumb.j

post-86157-0-58152300-1456965626_thumb.j

post-86157-0-63572500-1456965651_thumb.j

post-86157-0-03102200-1456965678_thumb.j

post-86157-0-80381400-1456965702_thumb.j

These are Window Box variety..

post-86157-0-94203800-1456965769_thumb.j

This was meant to be some kind of Beef tomato. No idea why it is deformed...

post-86157-0-92472500-1456965831_thumb.j

I think it should have looked like these..

post-86157-0-11213500-1456965946_thumb.j

and lastly, I think the Indigo Rose are starting to finally turn black...

post-86157-0-23888600-1456966075_thumb.j

post-86157-0-67487600-1456966052_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am growing tomatoes up in Samoeng this winter so I cannot use bad weather as an excuse. I just simply haven't had the time to give my plants the care they deserve and I've paid the price with a low yield and lots of deformed fruit. All but the first photo are of varieties not normally found in Thailand but the writing has been washed off the plant labels so I can't tell you what they all are. These are Thai cherries I just squeezed from old tomatoes and threw into the corn patch..

attachicon.gifyellow.jpg

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gifornamental.jpg

attachicon.gifbeef.jpg

attachicon.gifbeef2.jpg

attachicon.gifIndigo.jpg

You need to trim out the lateral shoots, too much energy going into unwanted foliage.

you will not get as much fruit, but it will be bigger and better

How can you prevent anthracnose from attacking your tomato plants?

I just pulled out and removed all the tomato plants that were infected. Is there

anything else I should be doing?

Too late, its a fungal disease living in the soil.

I just pulled up tbe last of my tomato plants today. They're simply too dry and the fruit is minimal in size.

Time to get the growbeds ready for the rainy season.

attachicon.gifyellow.jpg

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gifornamental.jpg

attachicon.gifbeef.jpg

attachicon.gifbeef2.jpg

attachicon.gifIndigo.jpg

You need to trim out the lateral shoots, too much energy going into unwanted foliage.

you will not get as much fruit, but it will be bigger and better

Purely as an experiment, I once let one of the lateral shoots grow but kept removing all others. The plant was given extra water. The shoot grew approximately 18 inches before it divided with one half growing upwards and the other half grew downwards where on contact with the soil, roots developed. The outcome was two entirely independent tomato plants joined by a side shoot. At this point the connecting shoot was removed which prompted the growth of tomatoes on both plants, each crop was equal to if not slightly more than the other plants growing alongside.

60 days before the cool season starts in your area.

So that's less that 60 now? I'm ready, but still going now.

rice555

1 new seed just arrived.

2 a few days back at F.108

3 toms cousin tomatillo at F108

post-37242-0-01528700-1463208878_thumb.p

post-37242-0-70610200-1463208926_thumb.p

post-37242-0-53848000-1463209041_thumb.p

• 11 months later...

I grow two different ways. Firstly I grow some Tomato plants in my Strawberry rows so they get essential nutrients and trace elements from my drip system. The tomatoes are so sweet they almost taste like strawberries.

I also grow some (same variety) organically with just a sprinkle of slow release organic fertilizer (bat poo I think) on top of the soil. The tomatoes taste OK, but cannot compare with the ones grown using chemical fertilizers.

That's just my own personal experience.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.........I hope you can give us some advice. About 6 months ago we started a permaculture garden in our school. Right now we have a problem with our tomatoes. As you can see on the photo we have ants and little white parasites. I have read that baking soda mixed with water helps with pests and I am trying this however I'm wondering if the parasites are too developed. Does anyone have experience using this or have any other suggestions. Thank youIMG_0532.JPGIMG_0532.JPGIMG_0531.JPGIMG_0530.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Scaly aphids, difficult to get rid of. I tend to get these on plants that I allowed to wilt. Try an oil based insecticide like Bai Sadao. There may be another pest or problem present.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The ants cultivate the aphids, you need to control both.

Get yourself some neem oil, mix with a little detergent, spray persistently over several aphid life cycles.

Organic prevention works much better than organic control, if the infestation is not manageable pull all the plants, burn them; start again and spray early before any infestation signs.

Continue up to maturity.

Hello.........thank you for your input. I actually think the infestation is too developed and we will have to take your advice and start again. Is it necessary to pull the plants out by the root....or can we keep the roots in the soil for decomposing. Also. Do you have any idea where we can find neem oil? We tried in Chiang mai to no avail. We are in phuket. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived