Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BenWa said:

Hello.........thank you for your input. I actually think the infestation is too developed and we will have to take your advice and start again. Is it necessary to pull the plants out by the root....or can we keep the roots in the soil for decomposing. Also. Do you have any idea where we can find neem oil? We tried in Chiang mai to no avail. We are in phuket. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ask for Bai sadao and you'll get neem oil.  Last time I looked for it I found it in Chatuchak market. You do need oil and not a tincture which you can make yourself but is only good as a repellent in my view. DDT and organophosphates work also but even the Thais would hesitate to use that on vegetables. Burn!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BenWa said:

Hello.........thank you for your input. I actually think the infestation is too developed and we will have to take your advice and start again. Is it necessary to pull the plants out by the root....or can we keep the roots in the soil for decomposing. Also. Do you have any idea where we can find neem oil? We tried in Chiang mai to no avail. We are in phuket. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"Neem" is the Indian name for "sadau" (Thai)

You should know that growing tomatoes during the rainy season is a fools errand. Plant again in trays around the end of August and put them in the ground when they have two/three sets of leaves, you'll get much better results during the drier cool season.

You can leave the roots in the ground but you should replant in an alternate lot if available, if not, to keep it organic, treat (now) the existing lot with wood vinegar (to kill nematodes and other parasites); later on add manure till it in and plant your new crop when ready.

Good luck.

 

PS the purple cherry tomatoes are sweeter than grapes

IMG_2268.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone........thank you for your replies. So.....I have sprayed baking soda and water to eradicate the aphids . It worked a little. I then tried salt in water but a lot of the leaves were damaged. I've also used neem oil which has worked the best. My question is this: should I use a multi product approach? Is wood vinegar another option? Is spraying a mixture of lemon , ginger and chili another option? I have, however, noticed there are a lot of trees surrounding our garden that are affected as well........what's the best way of managing this? Some trees are way too tall for me to reach.
Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BenWa said:

Hi everyone........thank you for your replies. So.....I have sprayed baking soda and water to eradicate the aphids . It worked a little. I then tried salt in water but a lot of the leaves were damaged. I've also used neem oil which has worked the best. My question is this: should I use a multi product approach? Is wood vinegar another option? Is spraying a mixture of lemon , ginger and chili another option? I have, however, noticed there are a lot of trees surrounding our garden that are affected as well........what's the best way of managing this? Some trees are way too tall for me to reach.
Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There are all sorts of mixtures on sale, generally they contain Neem oil or Neem tincture. What will work well enough at one period may disappoint at another, it needs a fair bit of experience to apply properly. Wood vinegar is indeed worth trying.These lose effect after rain to some extent but the effect as a repellent is important.

Anyway as far as spraying trees is concerned, unless you have a professional sprayer (which won't go much higher than about 6 meters) you can do some good with a pressure cleaner. However even then you would have to spray from both sides (I used to try to spray from all four sides (or more... what?).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Last post on this topic was June. Wondering where all the tomato growers are up to this year?

 

I started seeds at the beginning of August which are now around a foot tall.

 

Got my plot ready, tilled, wound in chicken shit, burnt rice husk. Covered in plastic now for soil solarization.

 

Question: bit early to plant out yet? Still raining every few days for around an hour each time.

 

Another question: should I plant them into bigger pots and leave planting out another month?

 

They are raring to go.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my hip replaced 2 months, so really can't do any gardening at the moment, but I anticipate I'll be more flexible at the end of this month.

I ordered a variety of seeds from blighty earlier this year, so when I get them planted I'll put up some pics.

My wife has got several nice bean plants on the go. They look great, & should be ready to eat next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SWMBO has about half a dozen verities going at the moment in potting containers and all of them seem to be doing fine. She just transplanted about 8 plants over into 2 one meter rings with her secret compost mixture. 4 of the tomato strains we brought from the colonies. The other two are from her FB connections. When available I will post photos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, faraday said:

Had my hip replaced 2 months, so really can't do any gardening at the moment, but I anticipate I'll be more flexible at the end of this month.

I ordered a variety of seeds from blighty earlier this year, so when I get them planted I'll put up some pics.

My wife has got several nice bean plants on the go. They look great, & should be ready to eat next week.

Hi @faraday hope your hip heals well.

 

Reading back through previous posts and other tomato topics should be starting seedlings around now? Think I was about 3 weeks early planting out but got some cherry tom seeds from the UK from @Hutch68 (thanks again mate) and some commercial toms from @DumbFalang (ditto mate) and couldn't wait to get them going.

 

Had two crops of long beans so far this year, really good, loads in freezer.

 

My query is on timing, different veggies do well at different times. Had long chillies going and producing for two months now. Never had much success with toms before but like @soidog2 says, planting in the wet season, no chance.

 

PS, got a little worm farm on the go, the casts made the tomato seedlings really crack on. Started spraying weekly with seaweed extract and L-amino acid.

 

Pest control got some Sadao Thai (neem extract - san sadao) which has done great for leaf miner on the limes. Struggling to find more neem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@grollies

Have you got a pic of the Seaweed Extract & Aminos please, coz not being able to read thai really makes it difficult when I need to get stuff like this.

Mrs F has been using the Wood Vinegar with great success on her beans. :smile:

Just starting a huge downpour now, so that'll freshen up the ground.

 

Have a nice evening...:smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/09/2017 at 8:23 PM, faraday said:

@grollies

Have you got a pic of the Seaweed Extract & Aminos please, coz not being able to read thai really makes it difficult when I need to get stuff like this.

Mrs F has been using the Wood Vinegar with great success on her beans. :smile:

Just starting a huge downpour now, so that'll freshen up the ground.

 

Have a nice evening...:smile:

Hello mate, seaweed extract and L-amino acid photos as requested.

 

 

IMG20170911135516.jpg

IMG20170911135555.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

In the absence of advice, instead of potting on, I planted out about 3 weeks ago.

 

Plants boomed and got to about 5ft tall.

 

Big mistake, 40% have bacterial wilt. Yellowing starting at the lower leaves, followed by full wilt. Chopped a section of stem and got the white secretion associated with bacterial wilt.

 

Light sandy soil. Hot & humid. Too much rain.

 

I'd solarized the soil for a month but the combination of the above conditions has done for about 15 plants so far.

 

Digging them up with surrounding soil and burning them.

 

So to try to save what's left I've taken cuttings which seem to have taken and planting more seeds this week. I'm keeping everything potted from now on as I obviously have a soil problem.

 

Hey ho.........

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your Tomatoes Mr G...

I planted about 12 seeds into Wormcast soil 10 days ago, & all of them have come up.

They'll need to go into some big pots soon, but need to select the correct soil mixture. Gotta give it some thought...

Any suggestions?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Sorry to hear about your Tomatoes Mr G...

I planted about 12 seeds into Wormcast soil 10 days ago, & all of them have come up.

They'll need to go into some big pots soon, but need to select the correct soil mixture. Gotta give it some thought...

Any suggestions?

 

 

Yeah, really sucks after nurturing them for 2 months. But, life goes on. I've taken cuttings from the remaining healthy plants and starting more seedlings.

 

I start seedlings in sandy soil and coconut coir mix then pot on with a soil/compost/coir mix in 4" pots. I left them till they were around 12" tall then planted into the ground.

 

I use wormcast after potting on seedlings and that really seems to give them a boost.

 

After planting out I fed them rotted chicken shit. All good till the bacteria got hold.

 

I'm playing with shit at the moment. Back in the UK I used to clean out the chicken shed in November and dig it into the greenhouse beds. Then plant out tomato & pepper seedlings come May. Worked every year.

 

Here I find I'm growing different things with different fertilizer needs. Toms, chillies, cucumber like chicken shit, whilst citrus prefer cowshit. I try to stay away from NPK fertilizer.

 

With future tomato plants in pots I'm going for a mix of soil, compost and chicken shit 50:30:20 Apparently coir is no good for the final potting on as it holds nutrient.

 

I'm just winging it mate, I've only been here 2 years and this year is the first time I've paid more attention to what I'm doing.

 

Cucumber, long bean, galangal, lemongrass, chili, banana all do well. It's toms, bell pepper and onion I'm struggling with here.

 

Some help from the experts would be appreciated.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last post on this topic was June. Wondering where all the tomato growers are up to this year?
 
I started seeds at the beginning of August which are now around a foot tall.
 
Got my plot ready, tilled, wound in chicken shit, burnt rice husk. Covered in plastic now for soil solarization.
 
Question: bit early to plant out yet? Still raining every few days for around an hour each time.
 
Another question: should I plant them into bigger pots and leave planting out another month?
 
They are raring to go.
 
 

Solarisation? Don't you need sun for that? Putting them in larger pots won't do them any harm, I haven't even thought about sowing yet. You could of course invent a plastic tunnel for yout toms.



Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2017 at 6:44 PM, cooked said:


Solarisation? Don't you need sun for that? Putting them in larger pots won't do them any harm, I haven't even thought about sowing yet. You could of course invent a plastic tunnel for yout toms.



Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

August here was cracking the flags so I put in chicken shit, burnt rice husk and dig it in and tilled the ground. Then covered in plastic sheet for a month.

 

I'm starting to think the bacteria has been brought in with rice straw I bought and used as mulch.

 

Cucumbers and one chili plant bed now has wilt and I used the same batch of straw on all three.

 

I've no choice now but to dig the three beds up, burn the plants and, come December through February, try to solarize these areas. I'll dig out the topsoil first and scatter in between the young rubber and hope the sun kills off any remaining bacteria there.

 

Any further advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:02 AM, soidog2 said:

60 days before the cool season starts in your area.

Unless , like us you have had non stop torrential rain and your garden is waterlogged. We decided not to even start until the weather improves a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grollies said:

August here was cracking the flags so I put in chicken shit, burnt rice husk and dig it in and tilled the ground. Then covered in plastic sheet for a month.

 

I'm starting to think the bacteria has been brought in with rice straw I bought and used as mulch.

 

Cucumbers and one chili plant bed now has wilt and I used the same batch of straw on all three.

 

I've no choice now but to dig the three beds up, burn the plants and, come December through February, try to solarize these areas. I'll dig out the topsoil first and scatter in between the young rubber and hope the sun kills off any remaining bacteria there.

 

Any further advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

Ah well, here in Isaan there has hardly been a day without rain, hardly a week without a real tropical storm since June, we nearly got flooded.

Anyway, solarisation: my wife remembers people digging the soil over deeply and leaving it in a rough, unlevelled condition to roast in the sun, when this wilt business showed up. Nobody does this any more and EVERYBODY in the village has given up on tomatoes, and to some degree on egg plants and melons.  Chili is OK but I have to spray (Vinegar + soap does it).

On the other side of the road, in the rice fields, they can grow all this stuff.

So despite some people saying they can grow tomatoes, and not too far from here at that, I can't and I have tried a few varieties. I do suspect soil born pathogens and not lack of nutrients for this, possibly not to be destroyed using solarisation. I might have one last go using wood vinegar as recommended to kill soil pathogens and then a few weeks of solarisation, digging in plenty of organic material as recommended. This won't be before rice harvest but should fit in with the cooler season that tomatoes appreciate. I will also try growing in bags of compost, I don't have room for aquaponics and the like.

I believe that once you have wilt you shouldn't try members of the same family (solanaceae) for at least three years, which is a bummer of course.  My growing chili probably ensures that wilt continues to survive in the soil.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, cooked said:

Ah well, here in Isaan there has hardly been a day without rain, hardly a week without a real tropical storm since June, we nearly got flooded.

Anyway, solarisation: my wife remembers people digging the soil over deeply and leaving it in a rough, unlevelled condition to roast in the sun, when this wilt business showed up. Nobody does this any more and EVERYBODY in the village has given up on tomatoes, and to some degree on egg plants and melons.  Chili is OK but I have to spray (Vinegar + soap does it).

On the other side of the road, in the rice fields, they can grow all this stuff.

So despite some people saying they can grow tomatoes, and not too far from here at that, I can't and I have tried a few varieties. I do suspect soil born pathogens and not lack of nutrients for this, possibly not to be destroyed using solarisation. I might have one last go using wood vinegar as recommended to kill soil pathogens and then a few weeks of solarisation, digging in plenty of organic material as recommended. This won't be before rice harvest but should fit in with the cooler season that tomatoes appreciate. I will also try growing in bags of compost, I don't have room for aquaponics and the like.

I believe that once you have wilt you shouldn't try members of the same family (solanaceae) for at least three years, which is a bummer of course.  My growing chili probably ensures that wilt continues to survive in the soil.

 

Thanks for your reply. I think you are right about soil-borne pathogens. Before I planted out cucumber I had two good crops of long bean in the same bed with no problem.

 

I have a lot of banana which I've read can host the bacteria?

 

I'll give the wood vinegar a go and spray once I've dug out the topsoil.

 

I'll also stop using straw and go back to collecting fallen rubber tree leaves after the next dormancy for mulch. I believe that banana stem and chicken manure rot down for a decent mulch also.

 

Need to rethink my garden space, as you said, and re-plan beds for next year. Wife also wants a dome building. Looks like for now all toms, chili, etc will go into tubs, even the potatoes.

 

We've only had one storm here this year. Rain has been steady every three or so days but only a few times really heavy since May. Think we're getting to the end of it now and everywhere is starting to dry up.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Potatoes? I have tried, decided it was too hot. Tubers bought in the shops will  have been treated to prevent them sprouting, so I guess you have found seed potatoes to plant?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Potatoes? I have tried, decided it was too hot. Tubers bought in the shops will  have been treated to prevent them sprouting, so I guess you have found seed potatoes to plant?

All our potatoes from Tesco sprout eventually. Had a small crop (2 plants) that grew last year new potatoes were very nice. Just an experiment, this time got 10 to pot-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

Potatoes? You never told me about those grolls.


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yeah, planted out in pots 2 months ago. Not one sprouted, that's why I've kept quiet :-(

 

Down to three tomato plants from cuttings that are ok (ish).

 

My ginger is growing like crazy though :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got more tom seeds, planted enough for me, I'll pass them on to you on Friday but I doubt you will ever be able to plant them after visiting the village from hell!


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

I got more tom seeds, planted enough for me, I'll pass them on to you on Friday but I doubt you will ever be able to plant them after visiting the village from hell!


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think that's why wifey is coming along, to ensure I make it back home. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, soidog2 said:

2018 crop, are they big enough for you guys?

 

 

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

I'd like that red one on a sandwich.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...