Mae Sai Run

Hi, I was planning to renew my visa in Mae Sai from Chiang Mai. I have a 30 day tourist as of now. I received an extension in November and then flew to Laos in December. Will I be ok to go up to Mae Sai by bus this time? I was all ready to go and then I read it probably wouldn't work. Thanks so much for your help---really appreciated!

You cannot renew a visa at any border crossing. There is also no 30 day tourist visa. You apparently are asking about getting a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You will not be allowed to do a crossing to get another visa exempt entry at Mae Sai. Best to go to the Chiang Khong crossing.where it can be done.

Unless you are from a G7 country you will only get a 15 day entry.

If you are on a visa exempt entry now you could go to immigration and a 30 day extension if you have not done one for your current entry already.

Sorry if I am confused---are you saying I dont have to make the border runs? I can just keep going down to the immigration office here in Chiang Mai? Thanks so much again for your help

You can only get one 30 day extension for each entry. You can get an extension get a new entry and then another extension is what I meant.

Rather than keep trying to border runs you should get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane.

ok, hopefully last dumb question: so if I came here first on visa on arrival--november-- and then got an extension at the office here--december--- and then flew to laos for my next 30 days--january-- can i now go down for another extension at the office here?

ok, hopefully last dumb question: so if I came here first on visa on arrival--november-- and then got an extension at the office here--december--- and then flew to laos for my next 30 days--january-- can i now go down for another extension at the office here?

You got a visa exempt entry not a VOA.

Yes you can get a 30 day extension of your current 30 day entry,

Ok, so that i dont waste your time by not understanding correctly and then disappearing into cyberspace: it is possible to arrive on visa exempt, get an extension, leave country, come back on visa exempt, get another extension and keep doing this until they say no? with a better option being tourist visa in vientianne or some other type of long term visa......do I have this straight?

Ok, so that i dont waste your time by not understanding correctly and then disappearing into cyberspace: it is possible to arrive on visa exempt, get an extension, leave country, come back on visa exempt, get another extension and keep doing this until they say no? with a better option being tourist visa in vientianne or some other type of long term visa......do I have this straight?

You could do it but the problem could be getting the entries not the extensions. You could be turned away at a border crossing for having to many visa exempt entries.

A tourist visa would give a total stay of 90 days without leaving the country by extending the 60 day entry from it for 30 days.

Vientiane, Savannakhet and Penang are all good locations to get a tourist visa.

You cam fly to Udon Thani from CM and then take a van to the bridge in Nong Khai to cross over to Vientiane.

You could do it but the problem could be getting the entries not the extensions. You could be turned away at a border crossing for having to many visa exempt entries.

A tourist visa would give a total stay of 90 days without leaving the country by extending the 60 day entry from it for 30 days.

Vientiane, Savannakhet and Penang are all good locations to get a tourist visa.

You cam fly to Udon Thani from CM and then take a van to the bridge in Nong Khai to cross over to Vientiane.

Gotcha! Ok, I am clear now..........Man I cannot thank you enough for your help----just super cool of you to take the time...wai2.gif