Has anyone tried this curry company?

intacome

I found this curry company on facebook. I think I will give them a try, but i'd like to know if anyone else has tried them yet. They seem to have a good menu and they deliver the food to your house. They are called Indian Gourmet Kitchen igkcm.com if anyone has tried them, i'd appreciate a review.

Don't know this, but as this is frozen stuff, you may also check the next Rimping. They sell similar stuff and naan for the same price from a company called "British Indian Restaurant". One single piece of naan for 49B is however a little bit pricey. But if you need an Indian fix, better than those fake or fusion places.

I've tried both the curry companies in Rimping and I wasn't impressed. I live quite a way outside of Chiang Mai, so getting to eat Indian food is difficult for me. I bought up a large selection of curries from Rimping on one trip to CM a few months ago, but I was disappointed with most of it.

I've tried both the curry companies in Rimping and I wasn't impressed. I live quite a way outside of Chiang Mai, so getting to eat Indian food is difficult for me. I bought up a large selection of curries from Rimping on one trip to CM a few months ago, but I was disappointed with most of it.

Likewise. I filled a freezer drawer with the stuff. Won't be replacing it when they're finished (thankfully soon). They're OK, better than nothing I guess. I don't know whether it's the freezing or not but the curries seem to take on a watery texture and the sauces seem to split, at least when microwaved (from thawed). I also find the chicken a bit dry and the sauces seem to lack any depth of flavour.

That said I did try a couple of curries from here: https://www.facebook.com/Laughing-Monkey-519461268194489/?fref=ts

Excellent. The Spanish Meatballs and Lasagne are pretty darn good too. As is his home cured back bacon. Based in Mae Hia.

Edited by SooKee

A couple of helpful tips. Re. Nan bread, you can buy a frozen pack of four in Makro for less than 100 baht. The same Makro ( Hangdong Road ) also sells large sized packs ( not sure how much I guess a kilo) of various pre prepared frozen curry sauces, certainly Tikka Masala, Dopiaza, two I remember. All you have to do is thaw it out, add your own chicken, cook it for 30 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked, and voila, you have good quality Indian at a fraction of the price of the ones in Rimping! I believe the curry sauces etc are imported from India!

I was looking at the Makro but could not find any, where they hid, aehh...placed it?

As you walk down to the freezer cabinets from the front entrance, they are over on the right hand side, towards the area where dairy products like milk and butter are stored. You will have to slowly walk up and down the first couple of lines of freezer cabinets and you should find them. They sell the bags of curry sauce, they also sell catering size packs of Samosas and Onion Bhaji, as well as the packs of Nan Breads. They are there, saw them yesterday !!!

Interesting website with some, not many, nice tasty photos.

BUT ... where are they? And the annoying music, no OFF button I could see. Put me OFF looking further ....

British India Restaurant curries @ 99Bt are an ok standby although we usually cut chicken pieces smaller and thin the sauce a little before serving on home cooked rice.

I might try the frozen sauces at some point, but I like the idea of just being able to grab a curry from the freezer on a whim. Are those sauces very sugary, because the Patak ones are really too sweet for me? What size are the frozen sauces? Single portion would be a good idea, but can you refreeze them if they are too much for one? Or how long do they last in the fridge? Thanks.

The 2 curry companies, Curry Nights and Sausage King, both more or less the same thing.

What lets them down is the chicken does not seem to be cooked with the curry sauce, it`s tough, tastes as if it`s first been boiled and then thrown in with the sauce and frozen. The Sausage King nan bread is wafer thin and not worth 49 baht.

Edited by cyberfarang

I agree, the chicken in the products from both these companies is very tough. Just about the only time I purchase these products is when I have some left-over cooked chicken I can add to the product and then I thin the sauce with plain yolinda yogurt. Throw in a little fresh cilantro and you have an OK meal for two with a frozen naan from whichever of these companies makes the best naan. (I can't remember which, but you know when you look at the naan.) Just OK -- nothing great.

Actually, given where we live, it's just about as easy to swing by the Iraqi restaurant in Maya Mall and pick up some Indian food to take home for dinner. I've frozen some of their stuff and it does pretty good frozen, too. Their chicken is very tasty -- melts in your mouth. Not the hard, dry chunks of chicken like the commercially prepared frozen meals in the grocery stores.

I've tried half a dozen entrees from Indian Gourmet Kitchens, and found them to be excellent (after adjusting expectations for frozen entrees, of course). I haven't tried any of their side dishes yet (onion bhaji sounds intriguing), but look forward to it. Someone asked about serving sizes, and I found that their serving size is a little larger than I would like for one meal, especially when you add your own rice. Generally, I keep the curry frozen until I'm ready to prepare, then microwave it (3 minutes frozen, remove and stir, then 2 more minutes), eat half, and store the remainder in the refrigerator for a day or two, until I'm ready for the second half. But I certainly wouldn't judge you if you wanted to eat both halves at once.

I had tried British Indian Curry Company (the ones sold at Rimping), and thought they were just OK. I hadn't tried Sausage King curries before, frankly because I wasn't favorably impressed with some of their other frozen entrees (Chicken Kiev, Buffalo Wings, Pork Pies, etc.)

I liked the link to Laughing Monkey that someone posted; have you tried their Italian Sausage? I want to give them a try, as well.

I've tried half a dozen entrees from Indian Gourmet Kitchens, and found them to be excellent (after adjusting expectations for frozen entrees, of course). I haven't tried any of their side dishes yet (onion bhaji sounds intriguing), but look forward to it. Someone asked about serving sizes, and I found that their serving size is a little larger than I would like for one meal, especially when you add your own rice. Generally, I keep the curry frozen until I'm ready to prepare, then microwave it (3 minutes frozen, remove and stir, then 2 more minutes), eat half, and store the remainder in the refrigerator for a day or two, until I'm ready for the second half. But I certainly wouldn't judge you if you wanted to eat both halves at once.

I had tried British Indian Curry Company (the ones sold at Rimping), and thought they were just OK. I hadn't tried Sausage King curries before, frankly because I wasn't favorably impressed with some of their other frozen entrees (Chicken Kiev, Buffalo Wings, Pork Pies, etc.)

I liked the link to Laughing Monkey that someone posted; have you tried their Italian Sausage? I want to give them a try, as well.

Do Indian Gourmet Kitchens have any stockists or is it all just online / Facebook?

Edited by SooKee

Do Indian Gourmet Kitchens have any stockists or is it all just online / Facebook?

I think they're just starting out, so just online/Facebook. I'd heard they were trying to get into some bars/restaurants; don't know how that's going.

All British Indian curries taste similar because they put too much cumin into them.

Cook your own, better, cheaper, tastier and not that hard. Youtube has thousands of examples.

Cumin: I'd say far from all? The vast majority of the good ones I've had you haven't been able to distinguish any one particular spice or herb above another.

DIY: Yup. Been doing it for years. Trouble is you need to cook in some quantity to make it worth while and I don't always want to load the freezer with 8 curries. In addition there's the need to use up the spices fairly fast as they deteriorate quite quick once ground. And finally of course, sad though it is, sometimes I just can't be asked wink.png

I rarely eat stuff from the freezer but when I do I prefer to have a stock of a dozen or so different dishes rather than just maybe one or two batches of the same curry so sourcing the places that do a reasonably good 'whatever' is useful.

Edited by SooKee

As I said.....The British Indian Curry brand just tastes of cumin. I think it covers up the lack of other, more expensive spices.

Ah. You're talking about the brand BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curries. I'd agree with that. Thought you were referring to Indian curries cooked throughout Britain blink.png

As I said.....The British Indian Curry brand just tastes of cumin. I think it covers up the lack of other, more expensive spices.

Ah. You're talking about the brand BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curries. I'd agree with that. Thought you were referring to Indian curries cooked throughout Britain blink.png

Yes, that's the one.

I was looking at the Makro but could not find any, where they hid, aehh...placed it?

As you walk down to the freezer cabinets from the front entrance, they are over on the right hand side, towards the area where dairy products like milk and butter are stored. You will have to slowly walk up and down the first couple of lines of freezer cabinets and you should find them. They sell the bags of curry sauce, they also sell catering size packs of Samosas and Onion Bhaji, as well as the packs of Nan Breads. They are there, saw them yesterday !!!

I made a trip to town today to go to makro for the curry supplies. I couldn't find any frozen bags of curry sauce. All they had were thin naan bread, a kilo bag of dal, and an expensive bag of onion bhajis. I didn't fancy the dal because i'd have to defrost then refreeze in containers. Also, without the curry there's no point in the dal. Maybe I just didn't look properly, but I checked every freezer. It's an annoying thing with supermarkets in Thailand; you never know for sure if they have what you want in stock.

Anyway, 50 minutes each way with nothing to show. Gutted! I'm going to take a chance and order some items from Indian Gourmet today and hope they can deliver to Lamphun.

WOW.

Why do you not make your own sauces.

So easy and you can freeze a few portions for future use and add different type of meat each time if you want.

Build a house, no problem. Strip an engine and rebuild it, no problem. Cook, forget it! Unless we are talking about a can of heinz spaghetti.

I made a trip to town today to go to makro for the curry supplies. I couldn't find any frozen bags of curry sauce. All they had were thin naan bread, a kilo bag of dal, and an expensive bag of onion bhajis. I didn't fancy the dal because i'd have to defrost then refreeze in containers. Also, without the curry there's no point in the dal. Maybe I just didn't look properly, but I checked every freezer. It's an annoying thing with supermarkets in Thailand; you never know for sure if they have what you want in stock.

Anyway, 50 minutes each way with nothing to show. Gutted! I'm going to take a chance and order some items from Indian Gourmet today and hope they can deliver to Lamphun.

As the original person recommending I feel responsible. Makro definitely had the curry sauce bases a few days ago, when I posted, I checked. I can only assume others reading this thread got there first and bought them all. All I can suggest is keep checking, they have had them most of the time for more than a year now.

As the original person recommending I feel responsible. Makro definitely had the curry sauce bases a few days ago, when I posted, I checked. I can only assume others reading this thread got there first and bought them all. All I can suggest is keep checking, they have had them most of the time for more than a year now.

It's not your fault Pat, don't worry about it. Maybe it was my eyes not working properly.

Anyway, I got my delivery yesterday from Indian Gourmet Kitchen. I'm a bit of a miser when it comes to money, so I weighed everything. The curries are a generous portion of about 400gms, dal also 400gms, naan 190gms. The dal works out about half the price of the Makro one. The bhajis also are about half the price. The naan is about 1cm thick and quite large. You get 380gms for B70 compared to 400gms for B105. So one the whole, this seems to be very good value. Tonight we eat, which is obviously the important test. I'll let you know tomorrow.

So, we had the curries last night and we were blown away. The wife had prawn bhuna which was absolutely delicious. My friend had tikka masala which was equally as good. I had chicken curry. It wasn't like chicken curry I've had before in restaurants back home. It's their house curry or specialty dish. Quite spicy and very aromatic. It was superb. The naan was great as were the bhajis. I haven't tried the bombay potatoes or dal yet, but if they are anything like what we had last night, we're in for a treat.

Without a doubt, these were the best curries I've had in Thailand. My friend and I both agreed that we couldn't believe we weren't in an Indian restaurant back in London. Add that to the prices of everything and wow! All of the portions were very generous and really good value for money in my opinion. Both myself and my friend will definitely be ordering from them on a weekly basis. No more trips to the supermarket only to find things out of stock, and I don't need to cram loads of things into my freezer because it's free delivery. Highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

So, we had the curries last night and we were blown away. The wife had prawn bhuna which was absolutely delicious. My friend had tikka masala which was equally as good. I had chicken curry. It wasn't like chicken curry I've had before in restaurants back home. It's their house curry or specialty dish. Quite spicy and very aromatic. It was superb. The naan was great as were the bhajis. I haven't tried the bombay potatoes or dal yet, but if they are anything like what we had last night, we're in for a treat.

Without a doubt, these were the best curries I've had in Thailand. My friend and I both agreed that we couldn't believe we weren't in an Indian restaurant back in London. Add that to the prices of everything and wow! All of the portions were very generous and really good value for money in my opinion. Both myself and my friend will definitely be ordering from them on a weekly basis. No more trips to the supermarket only to find things out of stock, and I don't need to cram loads of things into my freezer because it's free delivery. Highly recommended.

Facebook photos are mouthwatering enough without your post 555 and despite the annoying music on their website we'll give IGK a go.