Thailand's tasty tiny tomato

luther

The tomato on the right is one of the tastiest tomatoes I ever eaten including heirlooms in the states. Every year I manage to find a few plants, but I’m wondering if anyone has ever seen seeds for it or knows the name of it. The tomatoes to the left are a cherry and plum, common everywhere, seeds easy to find

.post-118093-0-84927000-1453532634_thumb.

Edited by luther

I bought the plant in Kamtiang Market in Chiang Mai. I have tried to saved the seeds two years in a row without luck. (They don't sprout.) I am trying again this year, but I was just wondering if anyone had seen packaged seeds for this tomato.

I don't think it's a hybrid, because biking out in the middle of nowhere, I've seen thickets of these being grown on the edges of rice fields. I only see them for sale here in Mae Rim about two weeks out of the year and then it's only one or two vendor who has bothered to pick them.

I don't think it's a hybrid, because biking out in the middle of nowhere, I've seen thickets of these being grown on the edges of rice fields. I only see them for sale here in Mae Rim about two weeks out of the year and then it's only one or two vendor who has bothered to pick them.

Ok, Mr Google tells me:

Tomato seeds usually germinate within 5 to 10 days when kept in the optimum temperature range of 70 to 80F (21 to 27C). Germination is delayed by lower temperatures and accelerated by higher temperatures. Temperatures below 50F (10C) or above 95F (35C) are detrimental to germination. That depends on the variety of course, maybe there's a reason you aren't finding it all year round. So: grab some plants and find out how to make cuttings if you are still stuck.

Maybe they are the same as I get. I think that they may be tomatoes that are often used in som tum around here, but they are used when they are green. I get them growing wild and they are really tasty. If I try to save some seeds from them, they don't germinate. Maybe they need to pass through the stomach of a bird or something first? Some seeds need to pass through an animal. I've not had any so far this year, which is a disappointment, but the sun has been so strong this "cool" season, a lot of seedlings just burn up. I'm getting some new self seeded toms coming up now, so fingers crossed.