With all the teething problems Windows 10 seem to be experiencing,.....

giddyup

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually Windows 10 has been outstanding for most users with modern equipment. I was one of those that could not be upgraded so a late convert - but very happy to be using it now - Lenovo B310 never provided Bluetooth upgrade so until I switched to using a USB keyboard was not allowed to upgrade - but after upgrade am using Lenovo Bluetooth keyboard without issues (although it is not listed anywhere in system) and everything seems to be working fine. Had to massage several old Peggle games to not try and change display (but they were a bigger problem on Windows 7).

Apple

Or research the hell out of it and make sure all the hardware has win7 drivers

Just reinstalled 7 today, 4 random BSODs with win10 in a 20 minute period was the last straw, so much nicer now

I have Windows 7 now, I assume the same disc can't be used to install on a new laptop?

Edited by giddyup

Apple

Or research the hell out of it and make sure all the hardware has win7 drivers

Just reinstalled 7 today, 4 random BSODs with win10 in a 20 minute period was the last straw, so much nicer now

I have Windows 7 now, I assume the same disc can't be used to install on a new laptop?

You could, but everytime i install 7 on anything i download the latest updated pre activated no key unattended setup edition iso off the internet and use a usb stick to install it, this way you dont have to bother with updating it, activating it, finding your key ect

Edited by Jdiddy

Actually Windows 10 has been outstanding for most users with modern equipment. I was one of those that could not be upgraded so a late convert - but very happy to be using it now - Lenovo B310 never provided Bluetooth upgrade so until I switched to using a USB keyboard was not allowed to upgrade - but after upgrade am using Lenovo Bluetooth keyboard without issues (although it is not listed anywhere in system) and everything seems to be working fine. Had to massage several old Peggle games to not try and change display (but they were a bigger problem on Windows 7).

I got a new computer and no problems what so ever.. I guess if you have an older computer or one that does not have good hardware there might be problems. So far its more stable as all previous versions.

Win 10 is working fine for me...installed it day one of release on 29 Jul 15. It's installed on a 2 year old Lenovo laptop. As far as I'm concerned it integrated the best of Win 8.1 and Win 7.

Whatever computer you decide to buy, "before" you buy check to see what drivers it provides on it's support website. If you buy a new computer intending to put the legacy Win 7 OS on it, you may find out your computer manufacturer for your particular model only provides Win 10 drivers...or maybe only Win 10 and Win 8.X drivers, or maybe like my Lenovo laptop model they provide Win 10, Win 8.X and Win 7 drivers.

I've seen a couple of posts of people who bought a new desktop/laptop with the intention of putting Win 7 on it and "then" find out the manufacturer only provides Win 10 drivers. Then that person just can't get their new machine to fully work/be stable since the Win 7 generic drivers don't fully agree with their new machine.

Fully research before you buy.

Too many bugs in it imo, I installed it and got rid of it, Google Chrome is better.

What are you talking about? Google Chrome is an internet browser or did you mean Chrome OS?

Been using Windows 10 since well before its release on several different computers. Never had any problems. Edge has improved a lot but I still use Chrome because I like addons / extensions.

I look after 10 PCs and have Windows 10 on all of them. The only issue I have come across are due to poorly written drivers for the PCS with AMD graphics cards. I have now switched to nVidia and they work flawlessly.

The recent major update did loose program preferences which was a pain as the new Windows 10 apps are crap compared to both their old defaults or 3rd party programs.

Linux is not an option for my business.

Buy a laptop with no OS and install a version of Linux such as Mint or Ubuntu. If you have access to a computer now download the required files to a USB drive, then install on the new PC.

I have a non technical friend who tried this. No luck. Back to Win 7. Not sure what all of the issues were, but he couldn't figure it all out.

Buy a laptop with no OS and install a version of Linux such as Mint or Ubuntu. If you have access to a computer now download the required files to a USB drive, then install on the new PC.

I have a non technical friend who tried this. No luck. Back to Win 7. Not sure what all of the issues were, but he couldn't figure it all out.

Doesn't have to be a laptop "without" OS, often to hard to do for a noob.

I use Windows 10 on my PC, Notebook, 2 tablets and 2 phones. It is working wonderful, also on an old Acer TM 6393, which my son is using. No trouble with old hardware at all.

There are still some issues Microsoft must fix, but Windows 10 will be soon the best Windows ever.

I got tired of seeing the 'free download windows 10' graphic pop up all of the time on my laptop and so I tried it. The download took nearly a day. Once I got it running, it was slower than molasses. Many of the features wouldn't work even though I was assured my system had the required speed and capacity. I re-installed windows 7 and I am happy again.

I have an old (nearly 9 yrs ) desktop------ do not know much about all the tecnical jargon but have managed to change from win7 to win10 and all is sweet now and no problems getting used to itis a Samsung Precept with a large screen------ ever heard of it ???

Edited by biplanebluey

I downloaded Win 10 a couple of days ago, a number of problems. Firstly bluetooth doesn't work any more, and while I have searched around on the net for a solution, the ones that I have found, so far, have not been successful fixes. Also, by default Win 10 steals 80% of your internet bandwidth, which, while I have high speed fibre optic has meant difficulties in downloading email sometimes. This is a criminal act in my opinion, I am paying for something which someone else is using, without permission and without even telling anyone. Microsoft are using our computers as P2P to soften the load on their own servers while going through the massive rollout of Win 10. So far I am far from impressed.

I have a 4 year old Sony Vaio laptop. Upgraded from win 7 home basic to Win 10.No problems to date!

That's interesting - I also have a Vaio (E series) and upgraded from 7 Home Premium but I had several problems and ended up reverting back to Windows 7.

They included:-

Microsoft Edge starts but wont allow any keyboard input.

Edge then closes itself after 1 minute.

Getting message saying battery incompatible, had to remove battery to continue.

Mozilla Firefox wont run, says cant find my profile.

Google Chrome wont load at all.

Search Windows doesnt work, nothing happens when I click on it.

Also, when I reverted back to Windows 7, most of my desktop icons and folders (> 90%) now had a "lock" symbol showing on them but thankfully were still accessible to me.

When it comes to operating systems, it probably depends on what you want the computer to do; the main options are Windows, Apple or Linux.

If it is just the usual emails and surfing then Windows 10 is not a problem. I have upgraded about seven laptops now to Windows 10, although the upgrade takes a few hours, it has been a painless transition.

Windows 10 has been very stable, but as always you will want to personalize it; the new Microsoft Edge browser is missing a few functions, so I use Google Chrome.

Windows 10 collects personal data, but so does Google; a little bit of research and you can turn this off, certainly turn off the Cortina assistant.

The good news about 10 is that it will not change now, so Microsoft will continually improve it and it is certainly better than the original release last year.

I look after 10 PCs and have Windows 10 on all of them. The only issue I have come across are due to poorly written drivers for the PCS with AMD graphics cards. I have now switched to nVidia and they work flawlessly.

The recent major update did loose program preferences which was a pain as the new Windows 10 apps are crap compared to both their old defaults or 3rd party programs.

Linux is not an option for my business.

A man who loves Fords and Windows. My congratulations, you've won the Olympic Gold Medal in masochism.

Please think about a Mac. They seem more expensive but:

1. They last a lot longer. The one I'm typing on is a 2009 model.

2. You're worth it!

C'mon, I'm not going to argue whether it is $300 more or $500 more or whatever. But you are worth it. If you want top of the line car Mercedes versus Honda or whatever, it will cost you a lot. Here for a few hundred more. You can have top of the line computer. And in a year or two, it will still be humming along like new. Booting from sleep in 2 seconds, going to sleep mode properly in 1 second, etc.

And in my opinion you can't compare specs on a windows machine and a mac. All my windows machines, their performance went downhill starting on day one. My 2009 Mac still runs like 100% of day one. So the windows machines may spec out as faster for the money. But what is their real performance? When booting? Etc.

For years I bought Windows machines. Never again.

P.S. I installed Ubuntu on a laptop a couple years ago, to see how that life was. The install went okay. But it's frustrating not having access to some of the favorite programs-like information managers, like Evernote. If computers are a hobby of yours, maybe you will enjoy it. But otherwise, I suggest not going down that route.