With all the teething problems Windows 10 seem to be experiencing,.....

giddyup

I downloaded Win 10 a couple of days ago, a number of problems. Firstly bluetooth doesn't work any more, and while I have searched around on the net for a solution, the ones that I have found, so far, have not been successful fixes. Also, by default Win 10 steals 80% of your internet bandwidth, which, while I have high speed fibre optic has meant difficulties in downloading email sometimes. This is a criminal act in my opinion, I am paying for something which someone else is using, without permission and without even telling anyone. Microsoft are using our computers as P2P to soften the load on their own servers while going through the massive rollout of Win 10. So far I am far from impressed.

Complete rubbish. I've upgraded about 20 machines now and never had such a problem. It takes 80 % of what?

I also have fibre optic and download movies in a few minutes. 20 MB download and 11 MB upload speed.

"Downloading e-mails?" Sorry, i don't download my e-mails. You might have a problem with the right driver(s), that's all.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too many bugs in it imo, I installed it and got rid of it, Google Chrome is better.

Google Chrome is a Browser

Windows is an "Operating System" that Google Chrome works on

You can't make a kangaroo fly. An Irish guy was just recently asking me how to solve his PC issues. When asking him what system he's running, he replied Google Chrome.

If somebody doesn't even know the difference between a browser and an operating system, you're only wasting your time trying to explain something.

Windows is slowly but surely becoming a complete pile crap, they are trying to take as much control as possible over the machine and also trying to morph the OS into a tablet friendly OS which doesn't work on a desktop.

I used to come straight back from work turn the PC on and use it all night, now i barely turn it on admittedly I only have 4gb ram in but it still takes about 5 mins to get to a point where it is usable where as I can turn on my tablet and within 10 seconds I doing what I want to do, if there is something i need to do on a big screen i just use Chrome on my Android media box. The only time i need to turn windows on is if i need to use office which even that is becoming rarer.

Even little things like updating programs is a nightmare, you have to open each individual program and unless it is set to automatically check then you need to manually initiate an application update checker ( yes i know you can use a tool like filehippo update checker) but still you have to download>run>update each program manually, where as a tablet, 1 click and everything is updated.

Sorry Microsoft I'm done with your half baked operating system, even Linux is looking inticing,

IOBIT does a great job for little money. Same goes for the "Advanced system Care". If you decide to buy this program, you can update all drivers for free.

A machine is only as good as the guy who's using it.

Windows is slowly but surely becoming a complete pile crap, they are trying to take as much control as possible over the machine and also trying to morph the OS into a tablet friendly OS which doesn't work on a desktop.

I used to come straight back from work turn the PC on and use it all night, now i barely turn it on admittedly I only have 4gb ram in but it still takes about 5 mins to get to a point where it is usable where as I can turn on my tablet and within 10 seconds I doing what I want to do, if there is something i need to do on a big screen i just use Chrome on my Android media box. The only time i need to turn windows on is if i need to use office which even that is becoming rarer.

Even little things like updating programs is a nightmare, you have to open each individual program and unless it is set to automatically check then you need to manually initiate an application update checker ( yes i know you can use a tool like filehippo update checker) but still you have to download>run>update each program manually, where as a tablet, 1 click and everything is updated.

Sorry Microsoft I'm done with your half baked operating system, even Linux is looking inticing,

Your doing something horribly wrong....

Post up system spec etc and I'm sure someone will tell you what's wrong

I have windiws 10 booting on an 8 year old laptop and it boots in a 45sec -minute....

It just works.... No hitches or glitches or any kind of drama, I only have 4gb of ram too so it's certainly not that....

Just booted my 8 year old DELL Inspiron 1440 with only 4 GB of memory in 55 seconds with W 10 Pro.

Your doing something horribly wrong....

Post up system spec etc and I'm sure someone will tell you what's wrong

I have windiws 10 booting on an 8 year old laptop and it boots in a 45sec -minute....

It just works.... No hitches or glitches or any kind of drama, I only have 4gb of ram too so it's certainly not that....

Just booted my 8 year old DELL Inspiron 1440 with only 4 GB of memory in 55 seconds with W 10 Pro.

I have a hp pavilion dv7-1025nr 1000nr, 2008 model

Boots windows 10 pro in about 45seconds

It was a 1 click upgrade too.... It found all the relevant drivers by itself

As did all the other Laptops I've upgraded

Really can't see how people are having so much bother with something so simple.....

I finally got around to buying a replacement laptop (a Lenovo 305 i5 CPU machine) for an old 10 year old Toshiba laptop. I did a Clean install of Win 10 Pro and it went like a charm "several" times as I did some testing as described below. Already replaced the 1TB hard disk drive (HDD) that come with the laptop with a Samsung 850EVO 500GB...the two different drives were used in the testing.

Regarding "HDD" boot time with my reference being from pressing the On button and "until first seeing the desktop screen" after getting Win 10 Pro installed and also installing the manufacturer's drivers from their support website, my boot time was right at 17 seconds with the HDD. And I installed Win 10 under UEFI/GPT instead of BIOS/MBR as I had always heard setting-up in UEFI/GPT mode allows a faster bootup, restart, awaking from sleep, etc., but how much of a difference can vary from computer to computer based on what I've read/googled.

While waiting for my SSD to arrive which I had ordered online, I did load Win 10 two times while using the original 1TB HDD. One time in UEFI/GPT mode and one time in BIOS/MBR mode. With "only" Win 10 installed" in the default Fast Boot mode and no other programs loaded like an antivirus program and other program/utilities that can end up being part of your bootup process as you loadup your computer with your software, my brief testing showed no difference in bootup speed between UEFI/GPT and BIOS/MBR, but for a Restart or waking from Sleep the UEFI/GPT was clearly faster by a few seconds...didn't need a stop watch to measure that. Now a few seconds difference is not much stopwatch-wise but if you are type that just stares at a computer while it boots and restarts and few seconds can seem like a lot sometimes. So, my testing on my particular laptop showed UEFI/GPT mode was a little faster for certain processes. Oh yea, after getting booted up I didn't notice any difference in speed between just opening Win 10 menus, using File Explorer, using the Edge browser to surf, etc., between UEFI/GPT and BIOS/MBR.

OK I get my SSD this weekend, install it, and do a Win 10 Pro Clean install in UEFI/GPT mode.....only took about 20 minutes including the updates that Windows downloads to get Win 10 fully updated. I then install drivers from my manufacturers website. My bootup speed (from pressing the power-on button to first seeing the desktop screen) is 10 seconds. Since then I have loaded some software such as Chrome browser, Samsung Magician software used with the SSD, Norton 360 AntiVirus/Firewall in aggressive boot mode scan (slows the boot process down just a little due to an aggressive scan of boot sectors during the boot process), etc......measuring the boot time this morning it was 12.21 seconds.

Just for comparison to my primary laptop which is a 2 year old Lenvovo Z510 laptop with i7 CPU and older Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD setup in BIOS/MBR mode the boot time this morning was 17.75 seconds. And keep in mind my primary laptop is fully loaded with my software and has some additional stuff in the startup process which my new laptop don't have yet...once my new laptop gets fully loaded with all my software I expect its boot time will slow down another second or two at least.

FYI: I think below youtube video of two identical Dell laptops running Win 8.1...one laptop is setup as UEFI and the other legacy BIOS is a good comparison of bootup, restart, awake from sleep comparison.

As the Windows 10 baby grows and goes through it's teething pains, below are a few stats snapshots regarding various Operating Systems Use from the StatCounter Global Stats website when set to query on Operating Systems for specific periods and/or countries. Adoption of Win 10 seems to be going very well in countries such as the U.S. and U.K. Folks in the U.K. are adopting Win 10 really fast. But Thailand is lagging way behind..it's still giving most of it care & feeding to the Win 7 grown-up....hard to get kids to leave home in Thailand.

Worldwide Use Jan 15 to Jan 16 (Win 7 trend line heading down; Win 10 trend line heading up)

post-55970-0-65847600-1455767658_thumb.j

U.S. for Jan 16

post-55970-0-68304800-1455767868_thumb.j

U.K. for Jan 16

post-55970-0-98372200-1455767917_thumb.j

Thailand for Jan 16 (Win 10 only around 5%...Win 7 still rules)

post-55970-0-09825100-1455767935_thumb.j

Hi. In recents weeks I move my 2 computers + the computer of a friend from W7 to W10 and we are rather happy with it. No problem in the fully automatic upgrade. No crash or software who doesn't work anymore.

Only point to mention for me was the DualMonitor application that makes duplicate work with Windows as W10 now knows manages dual monitors and the tool-bar on each screen. Just had to remove this now useless app.

W10 ok for me, even if I don't see big differences with W7 in the way I use it.