Type O extension of stay - Koh Samui - Showing Income

Hi, a little backgroud first:

I am a UK citizen living in Koh Samui but frequently travelling out working on oil fields in Oman. I have been obtaining non immigrant type O multiple entry visas based on marriage for the past few years from the Thai embassy in Muscat. My current work project will end late February 2016 so I will be staying for longer periods in Samui. My current visa expires 25th May so I will need to apply for my first extension of stay.

I have worked out what I need to do but I would like to know if anyone on here has successfully obtained an extension of stay using 40,000 baht monthly income with a letter from their embassy. At the moment I am in Oman so I can't get to Samui immigration but my wife has informed me that a friend was told that Samui do not accept the 40,000/month option and only the 400,000 deposit option.

I know I should speak directly to immigration, but it would be nice to know how people get on with Samui immigration regarding how they show money for extensions of stay.

Many thanks.

The rule is 400,000 baht in a Thai bank. OR 40,000 Baht monthly income.
It does not matter where you apply. Those are the rules.

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Edited by Lite Beer

You can get the extension using the 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy. I have never heard of Samui immigration or any other immigration office not allowing it.

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 entries from your visa. You do not have to wait for your visa to expire.

• Like 1

Rules are rules - That doesn't mean the Immi officer will follow them.

The boss in Phuket has told me he won't accept the Combination method for annual extensions (Retirement) only 800k in the bank for 3 months.

I've had five extensions previously.

Once I solve this via another method (OA from OZ) I will definitely be reporting him to the Chief of Immigration Police and the Australian Embassy Bangkok for dismissing their sworn Affidavit (with documented back-up proof.) Hopefully they'll take that further with the Ministry of Interior.

This is not a rumour - it is a fact and it will be a very (unnecessary) exercise to rectify.

Rules are rules - That doesn't mean the Immi officer will follow them.

The boss in Phuket has told me he won't accept the Combination method for annual extensions (Retirement) only 800k in the bank for 3 months.

I've had five extensions previously.

Once I solve this via another method (OA from OZ) I will definitely be reporting him to the Chief of Immigration Police and the Australian Embassy Bangkok for dismissing their sworn Affidavit (with documented back-up proof.) Hopefully they'll take that further with the Ministry of Interior.

This is not a rumour - it is a fact and it will be a very (unnecessary) exercise to rectify.

Odd !

A friend of mine applied for and was given an extension of stay based on retirement last week at the Phuket immigration office. He used the "combo" method to demonstrate he met the financial requirements.

This Colonel was away last week - good luck for your friend.

I have had another (friendly) IO to check my file - it is marked "800K in the bank for 3 months only".

This guy is a law unto himself and most people are afraid to make an official complaint because of [possible repercussions.