Suggestion please

nabbie

Hi, I get a headache everytimes I look at the hotel websites for Chiang Mai area. I find very hard to pick the right one because I can not rely based on these photos.

May I ask a favour to who know Chiang Mai very well might support my decision to pick the inexpensive hotel with nice swimming & good food (prefer Thai - international food just optional).

I have the budget of 10,000B approx for 1 adult + 2 kids for 1 week in May 2016.

I am also keen to visit the waterfall, the farm? and the market. Can you please remind me best where to go although I have been there a couple of years ago?

Appreciate your response in advance.

The Duangtawan is just near the junction of Loi Kroh and the Night bazaar.

It ticks all the boxes, but as for rates check Agoda.

I think they have rooms with two doubles.

They tick all the boxes, although it's cheaper to eat out and there are lots of places in walking distance.

Edited by Chicog

I would fo Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel. Has a nice pool, within walking distance on NIght Market and Anusarn (where there is food galore) and Kalare (and McDonalds for kids), quiet area at night (beingback from the road) so easy for kids to sleep. Kids not generally "exposed" to some sights that they may see closer to bar strip (exception being cabaret ladyboys at Anusarn but only if you go there and its quite mild given tourist venue). Easy transort out front ....

^ Not really.. it's inside the old town, just up from Chiang Mai gate.

I guess the Anodard Hotel is near there and has a small pool. Likely some of the fancier boutique hotels also have them, but not sure if outside guests can use them.

So.. maybe stay at the Chiang Mai Gate hotel? It's a bit older and maybe not as nice/cosy as Gord Chiang Mai, but it does have a pool.

I had a friend stay at the Empress not so long ago and enjoyed it but I think most of the big ones will be full of Chinese tour groups. I'm not racist in any way, just saying that my experience has been one up all up and they get up early. Their culture seems to have no notion of keeping the noise down because others may be sleeping.

Top North guest house is cheaper but not so nice although it does have a pool and is well located. Not sure how suitable for a child, I'll let others chip in there.

If somebody is bothered by the Chinese tourists they might as well not come to CM at this time. Except for high season without them there would hardly be any tourists at all.

Last time "they" woke me up in the Regal Airport HKG shouting and slamming doors for 15 minutes at 06:00AM when I needed to be sleeping I shouted into the hallway "shut up!" and it worked! (I need to learn how to say in Mandarin for another reason). That much being said my job has had me in hotels (in the past) over 120 nights a year. Many more times I have been woken by drunk Americans, backpackers rutting like alley cats , Japanese, Russians, and the worst the Maids caterwauling in the halways when they should know better, etc. So in my opinion, suggesting one otherwise recommend hotel or another should be avoided because there may be too many Chinese sounds hard to take. So I'm glad you're not racist "in any way" but personally as someone who grew up as a majority wearing a coat of white privlege I do not find it helpful to say I'm not racist, instead to state that I will continue to contribute to the universal stuggle to identify and repudiate the scourge of racism and act to subvert and undermine its structures.

One day the China tourism boom will abate, many people will miss the income from their trade, and everyone who complains abiut them now will probably find some other group to rubbish endlessly.

Edited by arunsakda

At a hotel where my wife worked at about 2 years ago (2900-3900 THB per night), there were loads of them staying there. The complaints from other guests about the noise they made overwhelmed the management, reception, etc. But nothing was worse than when a housekeeper making the rounds early one morning discovered that someone (only members of the tour group staying in the one part of the hotel), no others --, defecated in the beautiful Lanna decorated hallway!