Pattaya more Expensive than Phuket

Walkabout Man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philippines and Thailand each have strengths and weaknesses. Accommodation is

cheaper of higher quality and much easier to find in Thailand, alcohol is cheaper

in Philippines, companionship varies widely in Philippines. Cheap in Subic and Angeles

City double and more in Sabang/Manila. In Pattaya in also varies widely from Go-Go's

to Beer Bars to Soi 6 girls and beach road freelancers. Hospitals, infrastructure,

restaurants, movie theaters, shopping are on a different level entirely in Thailand

as compared to Philippines. As for Pattaya vs Phuket that depends on many factors

as well. Are you just comparing Patong and Bangla road or the whole of Phuket.

The west coast of Phuket along the beaches are much more expensive than Phuket

city or for that matter anywhere just 1-2 km away from the beach. If you are just chasing

women and booze, place a high value on English communication with the locals,

want an easier time of visas regulations, then perhaps Philippines is better. If you

enjoy a life outside chasing women and drinking, like far superior infrastructure that

includes hospitals, theaters, restaurants, and don't mind putting up with language

and 90 day reporting etc than maybe Thailand is better. Different strokes, same as

women. As they say, up to you. whistling.gif

I agree with you pattayamick. The Aussie Bogans who destroyed Kuta Beach Bali as a great, enjoyable and cheap holiday destination are now turning up in Phuket in larger numbers, due no doubt to the ever present danger of terrorism in Bali. Hopefully they won't discover Pattaya any time soon. The British chavs are enough to put up with as it is.

British and any other farang chavs are hard to find at the mo among all the Chinese and Ruskies. Maybe if there were more chavs the beer would be cheaper.

Beer at 90baht in the beer bars...thats expensive in my books

Go to patty , and give us your informed opinion .

Pattaya is one of the cheapest places in thailand , for a farlang to live ,

Cheap charlies, paradise .

i should know.wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

Pattaya has expensive areas that are more expensive than Phuket, it also has reasonably priced areas that are a lot cheaper than Phuket and not just Phuket - you can include all the islands and even Hua Hin although some of the places are now offering happy hours and special offers - Pattaya has been doing that for quite a while now

Phuket like other locations mentioned above have less of a range of pricing, none of them ever get near the lower prices of some mainstream areas in pattaya - 45-60baht for a beer and 35 - 50baht for Thai whiskey and mixer

I doubt it is more expensive than Phuket....try getting a 10 baht ride there!

I believe your friend was in the wrong beer bars, some ask 120 baht for a beer and have high LD prices, some ask 60 baht and have fewer ladies, you makes your choice. On the whole the night-life scene is getting over-priced, no doubt, but there are choices.

I believe your friend was in the wrong beer bars, some ask 120 baht for a beer and have high LD prices, some ask 60 baht and have fewer ladies, you makes your choice. On the whole the night-life scene is getting over-priced, no doubt, but there are choices.

And try getting from Karon Beach to Patong for a night out. They don't use motorbike taxis. Not sure I would want to risk my life going around the bend up to Patong on a bike. Tuk tuk or taxi. If you are alone it is a bit pricey. One or two mates and for a night out not a big deal, but that is just getting to Patong. So many stories about return prices being suddenly much higher.

And try getting from Karon Beach to Patong for a night out. They don't use motorbike taxis. Not sure I would want to risk my life going around the bend up to Patong on a bike. Tuk tuk or taxi. If you are alone it is a bit pricey. One or two mates and for a night out not a big deal, but that is just getting to Patong. So many stories about return prices being suddenly much higher.

I had the misfortune to be in a nice Karon Beach hotel and trying to get back from Patong myself a few times. Struck me as insane that they would sit there empty and earning nothing rather than offer a lower price.

7k per day in pattaya is for guys who will buy drinks for any tart that asks, ring the bell and go to the gogo bars.

I struggle to get through 3500 bht per day.

1000 a day if you're a local.

A few pints and a meal, not much over 500 in most places (for a local)

7k per day in pattaya is for guys who will buy drinks for any tart that asks, ring the bell and go to the gogo bars.

1000 a day if you're a local.

A few pints and a meal, not much over 500 in most places (for a local)

Agree I believe a lot of the bars in Boukow do the happy hour specials and beers are around 60 baht in many of the bars so you can drink half a dozen beers and have a meal for circa 500.

It is a lot less if you don't drink alcohol.smile.png

The gogo bars are where the money disappear very quickly especially if you decide to take out the gals.

And having a thai gf also seems to up the expenses a fair bitbiggrin.png

Pattaya has expensive areas that are more expensive than Phuket, it also has reasonably priced areas that are a lot cheaper than Phuket and not just Phuket - you can include all the islands and even Hua Hin although some of the places are now offering happy hours and special offers - Pattaya has been doing that for quite a while now

Phuket like other locations mentioned above have less of a range of pricing, none of them ever get near the lower prices of some mainstream areas in pattaya - 45-60baht for a beer and 35 - 50baht for Thai whiskey and mixer

Yeah where i drink on the east coast its 50-65 for a San Mig. Barfine 200. 1000 for the lady. A good 2 bedroom house is 10-12k. Plus you can actually swim at the beaches. I dont think its that much more expensive. Maybe 5 to 10 baht more for beer and some noodle stands.

Transport isnt really an issue...you just drive yourself

Morning and day 4-6 botle beer + normal stake its 1000-1500

Evning some eat 400-600 and botle black lable how much now in bar? 2555 :)

In total its near 5k and for girl need some? 2k??

And this not taking about massage or another .

Ofcouse can get sam som in seven, cola and chiken and at day cople beer from seven and girl(catoi) "for free"

So do not see how can for 7 k buy drinks for any ? If you start buy not by botle its be more costly in bar even if for seĺf . How many drinks can buy for 7k ? And not forget need some leave for girls.;)

Cheers .

Go to patty , and give us your informed opinion .

Pattaya is one of the cheapest places in thailand , for a farlang to live ,

Cheap charlies, paradise .

i should know.wai2.gif

Haha it how is you style life.

And this is can say dor some style ALL Thailand "Cheap charlies, paradise ."

Morning and day 4-6 botle beer + normal stake its 1000-1500

Evning some eat 400-600 and botle black lable how much now in bar? 2555 :)

In total its near 5k and for girl need some? 2k??

And this not taking about massage or another .

Ofcouse can get sam som in seven, cola and chiken and at day cople beer from seven and girl(catoi) "for free"

So do not see how can for 7 k buy drinks for any ? If you start buy not by botle its be more costly in bar even if for seĺf . How many drinks can buy for 7k ? And not forget need some leave for girls.;)

Cheers .

Huh ? Anyone translate this ? After he suggested 6 bottles of beer for 1500 baht ??

Of course Patts is cheaper than Phuket for everything entertainment wise, but the beaches. around Phuket are far better. I enjoy a few day time beers and Pattaya is pretty unbeatable for that too, what with Agogos opening around 14:00

Try catching a taxi anywhere in Phuket and then tell me it's still cheaper than Pattaya. Went to Phuket once, will never go again.

As someone mentioned the Phuket drivers would rather sit around earning nothing, rather than lower their prices.

That baht bus system for 10 baht in Patts is fantastic

Local alcohol and cigarettes are cheaper in the PI; food and housing are not. Girls, well all of us "hansum" men get it for the price of breakfast--lugao and cao tom are both cheap.

FYI, ,,, 7K a day ,

These are the quality farlang Thailand , wants to attract , to support the Thai economy .

3500 bht a day , leally .?

CC,s no good , not wanted in the kingdom .

Go home .clap2.gif

Edited by elliss

I recently returned from the PI and I found it quite expensive especially food compared to Pattaya. And mongering on fields ave and LA cafe wasn't cheap. Pattaya is 'still' quite cheap.

Sent from my Vi10Pro using Tapatalk

I spend quite a bit of time in the Philippines and Pattaya. Here's a direct comparison of some basic items. Of course Manila and the big cities will be more expensive than provincial areas, but the comparison still stands:

1. Electricity in the Philippines is far more expensive.

2. Fast Internet, if you can find it in PI is more expensive. The quality of service is way lower than Thailand too.

3. It's very hard to find quality long term furnished rentals in PI, and if you do, the prices in the PI are through the roof compared to Pattaya. Everything inside an apartment/house costs twice as much in PI. i.e. All electrical appliances and furniture are far more expensive in PI, and that goes for computers and accessories too.

4. Food is far more expensive in PI and the choices are extremely limited for expats who like to eat luxury imported items. Good luck trying to find good beef in PI. Generally the quality of food is much lower too, so you pay more for less.

5. Telephone calls are way more expensive in PI. About 5 times higher on average for domestic calls. No good deals on International calls either.

6. Medicine - where do we start? If you can even find it, 2 - 3 times more expensive for basic stuff. Finding it is the hardest part - paying for it is even harder. eg. Mercilon contraceptive pills costs 180 baht here = around 236 peso. In the PI, nearly 700 pesos. Going to a drug store in PI is a painful process.

7. Hotels in the PI, no matter where you go, are far more expensive if you're comparing quality of accommodation. For example, 2000 peso will get you a dump of a hotel in Manila, but a nice hotel room in Bangkok.

8. Buffet dinners in PI. Forget about it. Food is just too costly and people are very hungry, so they lose too much.

9. I could keep going, but this should suffice for now...

The OP is only talking about the cost of pay-for-play and associated costs. Yes, there are far more young and desperate females in the Philippines and it's only getting worse with a birth rate more than double that of Thailand, so they will tend to be cheaper unless you go for higher class Manila based models.

Yes, Pattaya is getting more expensive, but so is Phuket and the Philippines and everywhere else on this planet.

Edited by tropo

8. Buffet dinners in PI. Forget about it. Food is just too costly and people are very hungry, so they lose too much.

I dont know which Philippines you went to but apparently it isnt the same one that I know.

http://pinoypicks.com/top-10-buffet-restaurant-in-metro-manila-starting-at-p250-00/

LOL. I knew someone would pull me up on this and I'm not surprised it's you.

Yeah, I'm well aware of those buffets in large shopping malls, but most expats wouldn't do them. Did you try it? I wouldn't.

Just for you, erase point #8 and comment on the others.

So what about local market stuff in PI ? Is it almost the same prices as here , fruits, veggies, local dishes?

It's more expensive, but your main problem would be a woeful selection of produce compared to Thailand. Fruit is beyond most peoples' budget, other than maybe bananas. They import rice from Thailand - that should tell you a lot. Small jungle islands are just not great for producing food, and the country is constantly battered by typhoons, causing flooding and destruction on unprecedented levels over most of the year. The rice fields on Samar and Leyte (and some other smaller islands) have yet to recover from the destruction of Yolanda on November 8, 2013...

Should I mention the risk of buying "double dead" meat at markets. They're certainly not going to throw it out if they can sell it. The judicial system and federal law doesn't penetrate most provincial regions. Local police take care of law and order in their own way without much federal interference. Wealthy families rule supreme in most areas... which takes "getting away with murder" to a whole new level.

Soi dogs wouldn't last long in the Philippines though - they'd be eaten pretty quickly.

Other than more expensive p4p entertainment, Pattaya is paradise compared to Philippines.

Edited by tropo

So what about local market stuff in PI ? Is it almost the same prices as here , fruits, veggies, local dishes?

It's more expensive, but your main problem would be a woeful selection of produce compared to Thailand. Fruit is beyond most peoples' budget, other than maybe bananas. They import rice from Thailand - that should tell you a lot. Small jungle islands are just not great for producing food, and the country is constantly battered by typhoons, causing flooding and destruction on unprecedented levels over most of the year. The rice fields on Samar and Leyte (and some other smaller islands) have yet to recover from the destruction of Yolanda on November 8, 2013...

Should I mention the risk of buying "double dead" meat at markets. They're certainly not going to throw it out if they can sell it. The judicial system and federal law doesn't penetrate most provincial regions. Local police take care of law and order in their own way without much federal interference. Wealthy families rule supreme in most areas... which takes "getting away with murder" to a whole new level.

Soi dogs wouldn't last long in the Philippines though - they'd be eaten pretty quickly.

Other than more expensive p4p entertainment, Pattaya is paradise compared to Philippines.

I'm surprised to hear this , I know it's off-topic but my Filipino friends tells me the fruit is cheaper or same prices in the local markets in PI . Maybe if you live outside the cities ?

Edited by balo

tropo is our resident PI expert, but I am surprised he does not know Phuket is not in PI whistling.gif

Sorry - Philippines came up twice in the OP, so I couldn't resist. I'm no expert on Phuket, but I know where it is on the map.biggrin.png

I'm surprised to hear this , I know it's off-topic but my Filipino friends tells me the fruit is cheaper or same prices in the local markets in PI . Maybe if you live outside the cities ?

It costs more in the cities than it does in the provinces - a lot more (for Philippine produce). No kidding, in 5 months there recently I only ate bananas and the occasional mango or pineapple. A few seasonal fruits will pop up from time to time. The other fruits available are imported oranges and apples - which always look very sad indeed. Expensive and sad. We had quite a few fruit trees on our property, but Typhoon Yolanda uprooted the whole lot as we were in the eye of the storm. Not a single tree survived.