Why Is Cambodia’s Prime Minister Spending His Time on Facebook?

geovalin

Phorn Bopha, VOA Khmer

25 January 2016

PHNOM PENH—

On Sunday, Prime Minister Hun Sen had a message for his people, and took to his new favorite outlet, Facebook.

The former Khmer Rouge cadre in the past has reveled in his reputation as a strongman and as one of Asia’s longest-serving leaders. But the weekend post had a friendly tone, showing the 63-year old playing a round of golf, and thanking his followers for their concern for his health.

“Since I returned from Singapore for the medical check up, I’m playing golf as usual for my health,” he said. “It’s true that sports strengthen my health.”

The post followed images last week of Hun Sen receiving medical treatment in Singapore. That post received more than 100,000 likes and more than 8,000 comments. He later informed his followers that he had been given a clean bill of health.

“It’s right that I have to always be healthy and live and lead the nation to further development. I won’t let my countrymen become hopeless,” Hun Sen wrote. “Meanwhile, I would like to wish my countrymen and youth to do sport and to all take good care of your health.”

D31B6B9B-DBEA-4D2A-A0A3-CD3E140B21FD_w64

University students from the Royal University of Phnom Penh check the Internet at a coffee shop along the city's Russian Federation Boulevard, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, file photo.

With about one-third of Cambodians now with Internet access, and most of those people using Facebook, Hun Sen is increasingly using the medium to get out his message. Observers detect that the prime minister targeting the country’s youth ahead of important elections, in an attempt to win back a constituency of voters who abandoned his Cambodian People’s Party in favor of the opposition in the closely fought national polls of 2013.

In December 2014, Cambodia National Rescue Party leader Sam Rainsy held a press conference to celebrate surpassing 1 million followers. At the time, Hun Sen denied that a Facebook account carrying his image was his own. Hun Sen only claimed ownership of the account when he himself eventually passed 1 million followers.

Since then, Hun Sen has stepped up his social media presence, posting about the new roads he has inaugurated, uploading videos of himself delivering important messages and in recent weeks using the social network to help navigate the enforcement of a new traffic law.

8CAAD1B1-B6A8-47FF-9562-B986A874AFC1_w64

Screenshot of Prime Minister Hun Sen's Facebook page, Wednesday December 30th, 2015.

He’s picked up new followers on the way, reaching more than 1.98 million. Rainsy’s official page still leads the prime minister’s with 2.06 million followers, however, as of Sunday.

CPP spokesman Sok Eysan said Hun Sen’s Facebook account was simply a way to connect directly with the Cambodian people.

“He set up electronic communication because he wants to be close to people,” Eysan said. “He also wants to know from people if they have any problems or concerns living under the leadership of the government, so he could be aware of the problem. Then he could solve the problem.”

“The prime minister has opened up to the public,” he added. “Not only to the CPP’s members and supporters, but other people including opposition party supporters. If they have a request or have problems in their lives, they can inform the prime minister, so he could solve their problems.”

Last month, Hun Sen encouraged government officials to use Facebook to connect with the public. He launched his own application and website, by which means people can keep up to date with the prime minister’s activities.

read more: http://www.voacambodia.com/content/why-is-cambodia-prime-minister-spending-his-time-on-facebook/3160604.html

Hun Sen is one of the most dangerous, miserable, murderous, thieving, and heinous leaders in the world, of the past several decades. His personal security detail, consists of over 5,000 men. That is how many people want this man dead. He will do anything, or say anything to maintain power. He has zero credibility. He takes out his opponents for fun. This man needs to be watched and feared.

Hun Sen is one of the most dangerous, miserable, murderous, thieving, and heinous leaders in the world, of the past several decades. His personal security detail, consists of over 5,000 men. That is how many people want this man dead. He will do anything, or say anything to maintain power. He has zero credibility. He takes out his opponents for fun. This man needs to be watched and feared.

Too bad he was given a clean bill of health. One can only hope that he suffers a long, PAINFUL, illness which leads to his demise. Would be nice too if the government could then confiscate all his ill gotten assets and deport his family penniless.