Thailand declares war on United States and Britain, Jan. 25, 1942

webfact

Thailand declares war on United States and Britain, Jan. 25, 1942
By Andrew Glass

ARLINGTON, VA: -- On this day in 1942, Thailand, in league with the Japanese, who had invaded Southeast Asia, declared war on the United States and Britain. South Africa and New Zealand declared war on Thailand on the same day, and Australia followed soon after.

Thai politicians who opposed the Japanese alliance were sacked from the government of Prime Minister Pridi Phanomyong, known as Phibun, who was appointed acting regent for King Ananda Mahidol.

When Nazi Germany sparked World War II in September 1939, Thailand declared its neutrality. Britain and France, who had had colonies surrounding Thailand, had hoped the Thais would support the Allied war effort. But Thailand opted to move in the opposite direction, creating a “friendship” with Japan and adding to its school textbooks a futuristic map of Thailand with a “Greater Thailand” encroaching on Chinese territory.

Full story: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/thailand-declares-war-on-the-united-states-and-britain-jan-25-1942-217968

-- POLITICO 2016-01-25

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't see this historical citation as newsworthy and a shortened misleading headline! The economy, international relations and political stability in LOS are a powder keg right now... Articles like this bring bowl & spoon to mind.

So the local expats can now take heart and see that Thailand had a feeling of disdain and disregards toward foreigners

than, as much as they have now... nothing changed....

Edited by ezzra

Don't see this historical citation as newsworthy and a shortened misleading headline! The economy, international relations and political stability in LOS are a powder keg right now... Articles like this bring bowl & spoon to mind.

On the contrary, it is a bit of history few Thais are taught and is an important part of the development of S.E Asian relations to this day. Brief but conciese article.

And Thailand, once again, is turning their backs on the West and embracing their new BFF in China.

History repeating itself.

But will the US and other allies simply "forgive & forget" when it all goes sour for the LOS - again? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Perhaps they are grateful that the USA was so magnanimous after the war because The Brits and French would have preferred a different approach. But Thailand seems keen to embrace a different version of the East Asia co-prosperity sphere for the future, with a new mentor

It would be interesting to get Thai TV posters reaction on this. Not bashing at all. my home country the UK has many historical atrocities across the decades. I accept that. I Would like to know how Thai people feel here if the truth should be more prominent and people made aware of it, for the better.

Thai politicians who opposed the Japanese alliance were sacked from the government of Prime Minister Pridi Phanomyong, known as Phibun, who was appointed acting regent for King Ananda Mahidol.

Maybe I am reading the above wrong but surely Pridi and Phibun are two different people? Seems like a major mistake in the piece....

So the local expats can now take heart and see that Thailand had a feeling of disdain and disregards toward foreigners

than, as much as they have now... nothing changed....

well they were crypto-colonised by BOTH france and england (at the same time!) so i can feel them ;-)

Maybe I am reading the above wrong but surely Pridi and Phibun are two different people? Seems like a major mistake in the piece....

Quite right....they were 2 different people.....shows the level of knowledge, to some degree, the writer has of Thai history.

Pridi was the regent.

Edited by ChrisY1

This report is just ridiculous, it doesn't tell the whole story!
The mayor reason that Thailand sided with Japan was that Japan promised to get Thailand back the land France had occupied from Thailand for their colonies in Cambodia and Laos. And the Brits had taken parts of Thailand to their colonize of Burma and Malaysia. Saying that Thailand should have sided with the allies is the same as saying that France should have sided with Germany when they invaded!!!

post-202015-0-03822000-1453703709_thumb.

I believe that this is one of the reasons why we as foreigners can't buy land in Thailand today!

Edited by Kasset Tak

You are right. Major error, bad research.

In fact, the prime minister (but not appointed regent) at the time was Field Marshal Plaek PHIBULsongkram, an ardent admirer of Hitler and fascism. When the Japanese invaded Thailand on 8 December 1941, he put up a "heroic" fight lasting... 14 hours... before suing for a ceasefire and siding with the Japanese, granting them "unrestricted access and transit rights" (a dodgy diplomatic term for allying with the Japanese and effectively being occupied by them).

On the other hand, Pridi Phanomyong, a former prime minister and co-instigator of the coup of 1932 which abolished the absolute monarchy and made Thailand a constitutional monarchy, founded the Free Thai (Seri Thai) movement , which throughout the war resisted and sabotaged the Japanese and their Thai allies.

Perhaps they are grateful that the USA was so magnanimous after the war because The Brits and French would have preferred a different approach. But Thailand seems keen to embrace a different version of the East Asia co-prosperity sphere for the future, with a new mentor

It really is an interesting history, how in Washington's eyes war was never officially declared because, unlike in London, the Thai ambassador refused to deliver the declaration.

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to the U.S. resist British demands for reparations (which in my opinion they were owed).

Alliances have been made and broken , some good some bad

history shows Thailand made the wrong choice at that time ;

the choices made now Thailand , will be evaluated in history,

some good , some bad

The wrong choice? on a pragmatic level it was a briliantly lucky choice, they were spared the destruction and enslavement the Japs would have inflicted had they resisted and then when they lost, the Yanks forgave reparations.... brilliant. Edited by daoyai

It really is an interesting history, how in Washington's eyes war was never officially declared because, unlike in London, the Thai ambassador refused to deliver the declaration.

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to the U.S. resist British demands for reparations (which in my opinion they were owed).

Here we go again.The repetition of the hoary old myth that the Thai ambassador in Washington, MR Seni Pramoj, locked the declaration of war in his desk and thus enabled the post war government to argue Thailand had never been at war with the allies.

It's a good story.It's true Seni was sympathetic to the Seri Thai and it's true the British/ French desire for reparations was blocked by the US.But the suggestion war was never officially declared by the Thais is nonsense.The declaration was officially conveyed by the Thais and the US State Department has confirmed this and of course holds the original.

Here we go again.The repetition of the hoary old myth that the Thai ambassador in Washington, MR Seni Pramoj, locked the declaration of war in his desk and thus enabled the post war government to argue Thailand had never been at war with the allies.

It's a good story.It's true Seni was sympathetic to the Seri Thai and it's true the British/ French desire for reparations was blocked by the US.But the suggestion war was never officially declared by the Thais is nonsense.The declaration was officially conveyed by the Thais and the US State Department has confirmed this and of course holds the original.

That's very interesting to hear. I'd be grateful if you could supply some evidence for your claim.

This report is just ridiculous, it doesn't tell the whole story!

The mayor reason that Thailand sided with Japan was that Japan promised to get Thailand back the land France had occupied from Thailand for their colonies in Cambodia and Laos. And the Brits had taken parts of Thailand to their colonize of Burma and Malaysia. Saying that Thailand should have sided with the allies is the same as saying that France should have sided with Germany when they invaded!!!

attachicon.gif220px-Siam_territoral_losses.gif

I believe that this is one of the reasons why we as foreigners can't buy land in Thailand today!

Quite right.

To do otherwise would have meant that the Thai government would have had to kept their word, and abided by the terms of the Treaty of Non-Agression that Thailand had signed with Britain in 1940.

Specifically Article 2:

Text of the non-aggression pact

It was entirely unreasonable to expect Thailand to do that wasn't it?

Not when they could profit by betraying the Treaty.

You have assimilated well.

Edited by Enoon

That's very interesting to hear. I'd be grateful if you could supply some evidence for your claim.

Read Bruce Reynolds' "Thailand's Secret War" the most authoritative account of Thailand's experience in WW2.The declaration of war was conveyed via the Swiss on Thailand's behalf after Seni's prevarication in Washington.It is this version which is in State Department records.

None of this takes away from Seni's admirable conduct which enabled the US at least in part to justify blocking the British and French reparations demands.Seni served Thailand well but it is untrue that no declaration of war was made against the US - despite Seni taking no part in it.