British explorer Henry Worsley dies on solo Antarctic trek

Jonathan Fairfield

British explorer Henry Worsley dies on solo Antarctic trek

LONDON (AP) — A British adventurer has died after suffering exhaustion and dehydration while attempting to become the first person to cross the Antarctic alone and unsupported.

Former army officer Henry Worsley was just 30 miles (48 kilometers) from the end of the almost 1,000-mile (1,600 kilometer) trek when he called for help and was airlifted off the ice Friday.

His family said Monday that Worsley died "following complete organ failure" at a hospital in Punta Arenas, Chile. He had undergone surgery a day earlier for bacterial peritonitis —an infection of the tissue lining the abdomen, which can lead to septic shock.

The 55-year-old Worsley covered more than 900 miles in 71 days, pulling supplies on a sled, while attempting to complete Ernest Shackleton's unfinished trans-Antarctic expedition of a century ago. Shackleton's journey turned into a desperate survival mission after his ship, the Endeavour, was trapped and sunk by pack ice in 1915, leaving his team stranded.

Worsley's wife Joanna said the expedition had raised more than 100,000 pounds ($140,000) for wounded troops.

Prince William, who was a patron of the expedition, said he and his brother Prince Harry had lost a friend.

"He was a man who showed great courage and determination and we are incredibly proud to be associated with him," William said.

Worlsey decided to abandon his journey Friday after spending two days unable to leave his tent.

"The 71 days alone on the Antarctic with over 900 statute miles covered and a gradual grinding down of my physical endurance finally took its toll today, and it is with sadness that I report it is journey's end — so close to my goal," he said in a final statement from Antarctica.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-25

Very sad - just 30 miles from the end after raising so much money for a good cause.

True but why does somebody have to risk their lives before anyone is willing to contribute. At 55 the man should have realized that at a certain age you don't do certain things, it was amazing that he made it that far.

Very sad - just 30 miles from the end after raising so much money for a good cause.

True but why does somebody have to risk their lives before anyone is willing to contribute. At 55 the man should have realized that at a certain age you don't do certain things, it was amazing that he made it that far.

"before anyone is willing to contribute"? - well, that's a reflection on us, not him.

It is because of men like this that the population of the world spread and traveled. It is because of men like this that we venture into space. it is difficult for people to understand what motivates an explorer, to risk their very lives. They push themselves to the very boundries of human performance and endurance. It is a lonely life, not just for them but for their families. Very sad, but for this guy i guess he lived by the maxim, 'if you're not living on the edge you are taking up too much room' !

Rest in peace Mr Worsley, you died doing what you lived for.

It is because of men like this that the population of the world spread and traveled. It is because of men like this that we venture into space. it is difficult for people to understand what motivates an explorer, to risk their very lives. They push themselves to the very boundries of human performance and endurance. It is a lonely life, not just for them but for their families. Very sad, but for this guy i guess he lived by the maxim, 'if you're not living on the edge you are taking up too much room' !

Well said!

Well said!

But Antarctica has already been crossed, circumnavigated, and otherwise well explored...so nothing much to learn from his trek...me thinks it was just an ego-trip on his part.

Not actually an explorer at all, but at least he only killed himself, unlike Shackleton.

Shackleton's journey to South Georgia was the greatest navigational feat & test of endurance of the 20th Century but I guess that's another topic.

RIP to a Great explorer.

people like him are not really interested in opinions of "keyboard warriors".

He did what he thought he had to do. Rather than going to bars he chose to cross the Antarctic.

Hat of for him.

And his trek was about as meaningful...if it was done as his own personal challenge my hat's off to him...it was a difficult and gutsy thing to attempt...just don't make it out to be some important human milestone or scientific achievement.

For myself watching documentaries about climbers is fascinating, why a grown man is prepared to risk his life, suffer pain, frostbite and eventually death, simply to be able to say he has climbed Everest is beyond me, especially when he has a family and kids.

But then I see the other side- I will never see the wonderful views he has seen, the actual curve of the earth if he is lucky on a clear day.

I will never feel that ultimate exhilaration at achieving something almost beyond human endeavour.The camaraderie of a climbing team, literally dependent on each other for life and death The joy of success, the pain of failure at such a level is an intensity I will never feel.. Like soldiers in battle whose lives depend on each other, us ordinary folk only reach those heightened emotions in emergencies.

In the end we have to make our own choices- reach for the stars and risk burning out early or stay on earth,never reaching those heights but planting roots with our children, family and friends, colleagues ,students, those who lives we touch- hopefully leaving something worthwhile behind to encourage a better life for the next generation.

Not actually an explorer at all, but at least he only killed himself, unlike Shackleton.

Shackleton's journey to South Georgia was the greatest navigational feat & test of endurance of the 20th Century but I guess that's another topic.

RIP to a Great explorer.

I'd suggest you read The lost men by K Tyler Lewis concerning his attempt to cross the Antarctic in 1914. Due to Shackelton's incompetence and arrogance several men died. They died over a few months laying supplies along the route Shackleton was to follow. Little did they know it was all in vain as Shackleton, who was on another boat never even landed on the ice.

Edited by jacky54

RIP to a Great explorer.

I'd suggest you read The lost men by K Tyler Lewis concerning his attempt to cross the Antarctic in 1914. Due to Shackelton's incompetence and arrogance several men died. They died over a few months laying supplies along the route Shackleton was to follow. Little did they know it was all in vain as Shackleton, who was on another boat never even landed on the ice.

Interesting book:

Shackleton never set foot on the Antarctic continent. On December 24, 1914, as the Aurora sailed south from Australia, the Endurance was threading her way through the pack ice of the Weddell Sea. By January 18, Shackletons progress was arrested, the ship frozen fast in the ice. He had come within a hundred miles of his intended Antarctic landfall when it slipped from his grasp. What the ice gets, the ice keeps, he warned the ships captain, Frank Worsley. The Endurance was beset until November 1915, when she was crushed by the ice. Her company of twenty-eight was stranded on an ice floe, drifting along under the caprices of wind & tides, to heaven knows where, in one mans words. It was an uncanny echo of the plight of the Aurora in the Ross Sea, fast in the Pack & drifting to God knows where.

http://www.thelostmen.com/excerpts/