Police Registering All Farang In Village!

I gave my details to the headman in this village in Chiang Mai more than 4 years ago. He said he needed it to give to the authorities. Whether that was the police or district officials i don't know. Didn't bother me. I have to report every 90 days anyhow so the immigration police know how to find me. No problem as far as I can see keeping a track on long term foreigners staying long term in the country.

Been a requirement here in the Ban Dung Amphur (Udon Thani) for at least 5 years that I know of. The village Pua Baan keeps the register which is checked by the local police (not immigration that I know of) periodically. I guess it is very much like Hotels logging guests passport details.

:o Hi, i am currently on non imm o multi entry visa and currently doing border runs i am i supposed to let immigration know where i am every 3 months??

No, you do that, in effect, every time you leave/return to Thailand.

I'm the only one here, why register when anyone around can point at the house... I was denied access to the village next door yesterday when I was stopped at the gate (driving a truck) and told I was not allowed in since I did not have the village's sticker on my windshield... Looks like I'm really blending in, so much that if I was to pack the truck with someone else's belongings, no one would see the farang. :o

Here's a new twist..now the police want to register all the farang in the village, supposedly this is nationwide! It's happening here now in A.Khanom, Nakhon si Thammarat. Anybody else see this happening?

New twist?

It is a legal requirement according to Section 38 of the Immigration Act of 24 February 1979:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director Genera

--------------

Maestro

• Like 1

Reading this thread ... adding some learnings from other threads .... adding the increased number of sights of (traffic?)police I see, around ... I'd say law enforcements are generally in focus, these days ... Clean up your acts (if not already clean) is an advice you might regret not having listened to ..

Here's a new twist..now the police want to register all the farang in the village, supposedly this is nationwide! It's happening here now in A.Khanom, Nakhon si Thammarat. Anybody else see this happening?

Come on, you've always been supposed to register yourself in Thailand (and many other countries by the way).

Do you mean they're applying the law these days...? :o:D

I asked my wife if she had registered me as I am the only farang in the moo ban and the response I got was mai ko jai.

If you want to give her the Immigration Act in Thai to read, it is here.

Have her read not only Section 38, but also Section 77 that mentions a fine of only 2,000 Baht for failing to report the alien in her house.

--------------

Maestro

New twist?

It is a legal requirement according to Section 38 of the Immigration Act of 24 February 1979:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director Genera

--------------

Maestro

must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office

They will have a long search!! :o