PM Prayut asks people not to buy Look Thep dolls if they cannot afford them

webfact

They buy new pickups but no worries they cant afford them either but nothing said about that ! as for rubber dolls instead of using rubber in road construction how many of these drug smuggling dolls they intend to make ? oh Thailand !!!!!

Always makes me laugh - the butthurt foreigners seeing Thais buy new pick-ups, when they trundle around on a Honda Wave themselves.,,.

Almost makes me shed a tear - when I see those new pick-ups being re-possessed because the price of rice/rubber had the temerity to drop ! Heigh-ho !

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a bit confused about all these doll threads that started to pop up. At last count there are three in the news section.

Please someone tell me this is an early April fools day prank, and that grown up people with supposedly common sense aren't actually walking around with those dolls, buying plane tickets for them with Thai smile, and that the police isn't worried those dolls are used for other purposes.

This cannot possibly be serious right ?

Edited by sjaak327

Asking a question is 'attacking'? It's absolutely none of his business what people spend their money on is it. Not govt advise, just a self appointed busy body.

Ahhhhhh.........but you miss the subtle underlying 'message' in his remarks. "Less dolls, more roads". But I agree totally with you.

<deleted> did I just read?

Is this for real?......... and if so I will have to ask the question, I often ask myself here in Thailand.... WHY, WHY, WHY???

Edited by khunpa

I am a bit confused about all these doll threads that started to pop up. At last count there are three in the news section.

Please someone tell me this is an early April fools day prank, and that grown up people with supposedly common sense aren't actually walking around with those dolls, buying plane tickets for them with Thai smile, and that the police isn't worried those dolls are used for other purposes.

This cannot possibly be serious right ?

I've seen two couples walking around as proud as punch with the ugly little blighters.

With a public as culturally stimulated as the natives I often wonder just HOW big the Krankies could have been had they discovered Thailand.

p01h830g.jpg

Never heard about these dolls until today. I will not buy one. Thanks for the heads up. tongue.png

I only heard a few days ago too.

But now I realize I did see it. This was about 7 months ago, having a coffee with the wife in Starbucks at Pure Place Ramkamhaeng.

There's a girl with a shoe store and she had a doll cradled in her left arm. Initially we thought it was a baby with the way she was carrying it - but nope - it was plastic. So anyway, up comes a customer and this girls is trying to locate a certain size for the shoes the customer wants - all using one arm 'cause the doll was in the other.

At first I looked at my wife, who was looking at it too. I said "that is a doll right?". We had a right laugh watching this girl struggling with the shoes because she couldn't put the baby down.

Now it's "a thing" - who'd have thought...

Bigger. I was going to buy a doll today. Seriously. But when Prayuth gave his advice I had a moment of introspection and realized he was right. I'm not rich and when I thought of how much Lao khao I could get for the same amount of dish I gave up the idea.

I'm kind of reminded of this.....a passing phase?

Jatukham Rammathep is the name of an unusually popular amulet sold by some Buddhist temples in Thailand. The amulet is named for two princes of the Srivijaya kingdom of southern Thailand, and is believed to provide protection and good fortune to the bearer. Some legends hold that the name actually belongs to an incarnation of the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, whose worship was known in the south due to the presence of Mahayana Buddhism there during earlier eras.

The original Jatukham Rammathep amulets were created in 1987 by a Thai policeman named Khun Phantharak Rajjadej who believed that the spirit of Jatukham Rammathep had assisted him in solving a difficult murder case.

During 2006, following on the death of Khun Phantharak Rajjadej, Jatukham Rammathep amulets began to grow wildly in popularity among Thais who believed in their ability to grant good fortune and solve personal problems. The amulets were initially distributed by a temple in the town of Nakhon Si Thammarat in southern Thailand. As the demand for these amulets grew, they began to also be produced at other temples in Thailand.[2]

In April 2007, a woman died after being trampled in a rush to acquire reservations for a batch of Jatukham Rammathep amulets being produced at the Mahathat Woromaha Vihan temple in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Later that month, in the face of a crime wave of daily amulet robberies, Thailand's Supreme Patriarch stopped providing materials from the temple, such as ash from incense, used to make the amulets.

Trucks with loudspeakers blare promotions for different series of amulets all day in Nakhon Si Thammarat, and colorful posters cover many walls.[4]

It is estimated that sales of the Jatukham Rammathep amulet in Thailand will amount to over 20 billion baht during 2007.

I know where we can get a real sweet deal on a warehouse full of "Cabbage Patch" dolls.