Keeping Warm these days.

menzies233

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been living in the kitchen with the gas burner on a low flame and the doors closed, of course for safety sake we still have some ventelation.

In fact, its so bloody cold in the rest of the house that we slept in the kitchen last night!

It's stories like this that occasionally end up in the news as both tradegies and comedies rolled into one. Be careful.

Using a CPU to heat a room...slap head in disbelief, accompanied by a dull grunt.

I must say my computer is heating the room.. but its inefficient and not its main use. But you can certainly feel the difference in the room.

Yeah. Go buy a cluster, that will really get you warm and cosy, and you can do some serious computing as a bonus.

Wood burning stove warms us up toasty. Aluminum flue best investment I made but have to admit when my wife suggested this I laughed and said come on your having a laugh (August was the month then). Wow was she right. Didn't cost much in the first place so even if we use it for a week it's well worth it

burning wood?????????? So you are one of those....don't care about environment and pollution. Didn't you learn anything?

Having been here for only nine months, this is the only time of year that the weather is not oppressive to me. I'm greatly amused by the Thais bundled up like eskimos as I walk around free from sweat in my shorts and polo shirt. HEAVEN. laugh.png

Wood burning stove warms us up toasty. Aluminum flue best investment I made but have to admit when my wife suggested this I laughed and said come on your having a laugh (August was the month then). Wow was she right. Didn't cost much in the first place so even if we use it for a week it's well worth it

It's a good solution but am curious, where did you manage to find a wood burner in Thailand?

Can't buy them in Thailand so I'm told the wifes uncle made the one we have for us a very very basic design using an old oil drum and some iron inserts flue was easy aluminium drilled through wall and mounted to top of oil drum. I wouldn't put loads of wood in at a time but it works lovley and takes the chill of while not over hot. I've ordered some wood pellets today should be here tm apparently they burn well will see. By the way it doesn't look at all bad painted up in black heat resistant paint.

And no carbon monoxide detector, right. Sounds like you have a death maker in addition to a major polluter. There is a reason why North American cities started banning wood burning stoves that were not high efficiency. One low efficiency stove can pump out more air pollution than a fleet of diesel buses. It can also kill you.

My friend uses two portable electrical space heaters effectively, but then he is Thai and has a house that is insulated and with windows that fit.

where is the nearest global house from the night bazaar area in chiang mai?

If you come up from town past Central on your right, Tesco on your left, turn left at the junction where Big C is (ie Maehia Market) keep going for about 4 or 5 K and there is one on your left. Hope that helps you.

Oh no another it's freezing cold thread.

The difference between people who are here fulltime and for a longer time and those who are part timers. (no offence ment).

I must have gotten used to the heat because this feels cold to me, but these temperatures are just normal even warm for my home country. (with i could also get used to the heat and not sweat as much).

I really do think that those of use who have lived here for years continuously get far more used to it then those who have not.

Not that I am shivering here or anything like that.. but the fact that temperatures that were normally hot / comfortable are now cold to me does show at least some adaptation to the weather.

Yes it's called acclimatisation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

And why would I be offended,I'm 36 years of age have a family and work in the oil industry on a rotational basis.

I'm under no illusion that at my stage in life nor wish to,or can afford to reside here full time,I am very contented with my arrangement as I get the best of both worlds.

Cheers.

Some people seem to get attacked by anything, and as I got a rep for attacking Brits( (IMHO undeserved as I make no difference where people come from just that there are many Brits here) I decided it be better to tiptoe around those who have shown to take things personally. There is also a group who sees part timers as less then full timers (not me).

Now if you knew about acclimatization why do you think its strange that threads pop up about the cold. You might not think its cold but a lot of us do.

And I knew that you worked oil and in rotation (you mentioned it in past posts) so that was why i brought up the part time bit.

Anyway I do believe in acclimatization but it never prevented me from sweating like a pig.

Yep, I'm a Brit.

On my verandah yesterday afternoon it was 77 degrees f. (Like the Americans, I prefer the 'old money').

If this was the UK the Sun newspaper headlines would be "Phew! - What a scorcher'.

I find it really pleasant at the moment and, as you say, it's all relevant. I guess I've gone native, not like our chum in the oil business, which seems a dodgy occupation at the moment! cheesy.gif

A great topic this . Like so many others , The Cold !

This is not the end of the cold , nor the beginning of the end , mm but it is the end of the beginning No coat and gloves on today. My TW asked why I was going on so mut about being cold . I said in England the house and the car had heating , here only bed is warm. I got a cold response from this.

anytime it gets cold here for a few days i wake up every morning and jump in the pool for a cold swim, feels fantasitic, and the into the sauna.. but today i just sunned until dry.. tomorrow is probably the last day it will be possible and not as cold as it was this morning ..

I went to the Big C supermarket on Monday. It was so warm in there they must have had the air-con in reverse. Here's how to make a DIY HEATER. If you have 1 of those large round halogen cookers. Turn it full on set to max time. Put the heater lid upside down on the bowl & plug in. This is probably the most heat efficient portable item in the home.

SAFETY WARNING

BUT MAKE SURE IT'S ACCESS IS AWAY FROM ANY KIDS YOU MAY HAVE. IF YOU HAVE TO HANDLE IT AT THE END OF ITS 1 HOUR CYCLE, MAKE SURE YOU USE A PAIR OVEN GLOVES. OTHERWISE USE IT IN ITS NORMAL OVEN MODE.

I went to the Big C supermarket on Monday. It was so warm in there they must have had the air-con in reverse. Here's how to make a DIY HEATER. If you have 1 of those large round halogen cookers. Turn it full on set to max time. Put the heater lid upside down on the bowl & plug in. This is probably the most heat efficient portable item in the home.

SAFETY WARNING

BUT MAKE SURE IT'S ACCESS IS AWAY FROM ANY KIDS YOU MAY HAVE. IF YOU HAVE TO HANDLE IT AT THE END OF ITS 1 HOUR CYCLE, MAKE SURE YOU USE A PAIR OVEN GLOVES. OTHERWISE USE IT IN ITS NORMAL OVEN MODE.

2 long sleeved, turtle necked riding shirts, 1 reg sweatshirt, 1 heavy duty parka, sweatpants,

sweat socks & dive booties, full fingered riding gloves and a pakama scarf. Every few hours

I turn on the stove to warm up the hands and get feeling back into the fingertips and keep a

thermos of hot coffee nearby. I don't do cold very well sad.png

Global House has 2,500w oil filled radiators, 2,990, if you're going to stay in the North for many winters it's maybe worth buying one. Bionaire is selling heavily the only convention heater I've seen in Thailand, almost 7,000 baht, outrageous. There's decent inexpensive heaters to be had from China but shipping and import duty is sky high, it adds 120 US to a simple 35 US product.

You`d better see my thread first.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889901-the-heat-is-on-for-heaters/

Best to phone Global House and ask if they have any in stock first.

One can survive most cold with some technique (and adequate equipment). In the USA I camped out in temps as low as Minus-40 degrees (-40 C = -40 F), and I learned some painfully hard lessons about cold. See link below.

The OP has it right: Cover your head and neck, where we lose most body heat.

Layers: they must not be too tight, i.e., they must not bind and shut off comfortable circulation.

Most importantly, Food: eating calories equals adding body warmth. Just like added wood to a fire. If you are cold, eat calories every 3 hours. (If you are a dogmatic dieter, then freeze your sorry butt!) Here is my hard-won experience:

http://zenwind.blogspot.com/2007/05/minus-40-degrees.html

I bivouacked for 6 nights at Minus-40, the first 4 horribly cold but the last 2 tolerable because I ate food regularly those last 2 nights.

Global House has 2,500w oil filled radiators, 2,990, if you're going to stay in the North for many winters it's maybe worth buying one. Bionaire is selling heavily the only convention heater I've seen in Thailand, almost 7,000 baht, outrageous. There's decent inexpensive heaters to be had from China but shipping and import duty is sky high, it adds 120 US to a simple 35 US product.

Brought since 1998, 4 Electric - fan heaters 1000 - 2000 Watt with me, from Europe, since I realized the North East is a different kind of country than Bangkok and South of it.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

We lite the bbq outside,when its good and hot,bring it in the house,done this 5/6 years now,fine with the extractor fan on and a window on the latch, done this monday night and looking forward to a bit of toast before kip,but was very fumy,Mrs reckoned it was rubber tree wood instead of the usual tamarind wood, so mind which charcol you buy,,

burning wood?????????? So you are one of those....don't care about environment and pollution. Didn't you learn anything?

-When in Rome, make it same the Romans do it!- tongue.png

What do the Thais burn? wink.png

By the way, what do my fellow country men in Europe burn in the countryside in their ovens? rolleyes.gif

Having been here for only nine months, this is the only time of year that the weather is not oppressive to me. I'm greatly amused by the Thais bundled up like eskimos as I walk around free from sweat in my shorts and polo shirt. HEAVEN. laugh.png

Where? wink.png