Keeping Warm these days.

menzies233

Boy is it cold up here in the North. Obviously no real equipment such as fan heaters electric fires etc. to stave away the cold.

It is so cold here this evening that I am wearing a T-shirt a pullover and a Nort Face Jacket, a hat for my head and a pair of cut off / fingerless gloves, jeans and a pair of heavy boots. (Feet are still freezing) I have managed to increase the air temperature in my computer / den by overclocking my PC to 4.5GHz. then running the stress test Prime95 at full whack - this gets the CPU to run flat out at about 85C, then with the power supply 1KW, I turn on that horrible little app. from Asus called "Fan Expert" - It is not much cop as a PC App. but it certainly blows the hot air out from the PC Case, thus adding a couple of degrees to my room temperature.

Anyone else suffering today? I had to go to Nong Hoy today (to apply for my licence plate) Barely a motorbike on the roads, the Nong Hoy office empty 10:30am, only me and the staff, everyone in overcoats and hats. I have never known it to get as cold as this before.

Anyway, I will be marketing my Asus App under the name of "Warmupthailand" with a free copy Prime 95 for about $3.99 if anyone is interested, it will shorten the life of your processor, but will provide a little warmth in the process.

If my house was concrete and not wood, I would have lit a bonfire by now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Global House has 2,500w oil filled radiators, 2,990, if you're going to stay in the North for many winters it's maybe worth buying one. Bionaire is selling heavily the only convention heater I've seen in Thailand, almost 7,000 baht, outrageous. There's decent inexpensive heaters to be had from China but shipping and import duty is sky high, it adds 120 US to a simple 35 US product.

Wood burning stove warms us up toasty. Aluminum flue best investment I made but have to admit when my wife suggested this I laughed and said come on your having a laugh (August was the month then). Wow was she right. Didn't cost much in the first place so even if we use it for a week it's well worth it

Wood burning stove warms us up toasty. Aluminum flue best investment I made but have to admit when my wife suggested this I laughed and said come on your having a laugh (August was the month then). Wow was she right. Didn't cost much in the first place so even if we use it for a week it's well worth it

It's a good solution but am curious, where did you manage to find a wood burner in Thailand?

It's a good solution but am curious, where did you manage to find a wood burner in Thailand?

Can't buy them in Thailand so I'm told the wifes uncle made the one we have for us a very very basic design using an old oil drum and some iron inserts flue was easy aluminium drilled through wall and mounted to top of oil drum. I wouldn't put loads of wood in at a time but it works lovley and takes the chill of while not over hot. I've ordered some wood pellets today should be here tm apparently they burn well will see. By the way it doesn't look at all bad painted up in black heat resistant paint.

Global House has 2,500w oil filled radiators, 2,990, if you're going to stay in the North for many winters it's maybe worth buying one. Bionaire is selling heavily the only convention heater I've seen in Thailand, almost 7,000 baht, outrageous. There's decent inexpensive heaters to be had from China but shipping and import duty is sky high, it adds 120 US to a simple 35 US product.

Cheers for that, was just near that Global this morning. Our place is difficult to heat as it is mainly wood with lots of gaps, the hot air would just disappear, the wood keeps it cooler in the hot weather, the roof is insulated foil with Ayara tiles so it isn't too hot in the hot season - No aircon only fans.

Not exactly a well insulated place. I can actually raise the temperature a few degrees in the 4m x 4m room where my computer is located by turning on my Samsung 1500W vacuum cleaner for 15 minutes, and suck up all the dead ants, wasps and Jakeem <deleted>!

Oh no another it's freezing cold thread.

Well, don't waste your obviously valuable time typing out a reply! You must surely have better things to do with your time.

No the tips of my fingers were numb but after typing my reply normal service has been resumed.

Well, don't waste your obviously valuable time typing out a reply! You must surely have better things to do with your time.

No the tips of my fingers were numb but after typing my reply normal service has been resumed.

This has to be the coldest January for years, and the wettest. Fingers numb. feet numb. I have the shower on the 10KW setting tonight, probably fry the cables again....seriously though, this must literally be killing people in the North. The news said Inthanon had frozen rain last night.

I really pity some of the poorer Thais, many in my village do not even have heated water for a shower, but they are so insistent about the cleaning of faces and feet they will be showering in icy water at night and in the mornings. (No I am not inviting them round to use mine!) But having stayed at my mother in laws back in the winter of '97 I still remember how horribly cold that experience was - in '98 I put in a hot shower for her (Me)

And, a word of warning, if you live in the San Patong area of Chiang Mai and are booked up for a TESCO home delivery this evening between 6PM and 10PM it will be late! We just spent half an hour pulling his truck out of the foot deep mud at the bottom of my drive with a 4 x 4 (He is a young guy, no idea how to drive in slippery stuff, he just kept flooring it and dug himself into a nasty mess!)

Edited by menzies233

Everytime I have bought on E B A Y from China there has been no duty to pay. Only duty from other countries. Interesting?

The difference between people who are here fulltime and for a longer time and those who are part timers. (no offence ment).

I must have gotten used to the heat because this feels cold to me, but these temperatures are just normal even warm for my home country. (with i could also get used to the heat and not sweat as much).

I really do think that those of use who have lived here for years continuously get far more used to it then those who have not.

Not that I am shivering here or anything like that.. but the fact that temperatures that were normally hot / comfortable are now cold to me does show at least some adaptation to the weather.

We recorded 8 degrees last night and had the oven going for a few hours with the door open, our new (one day old) 2,500 watt heater didn't even dent the cold! This morning I'm sat here with four layers of clothes on, what a wimp eh! laugh.png

The difference between people who are here fulltime and for a longer time and those who are part timers. (no offence ment).

I must have gotten used to the heat because this feels cold to me, but these temperatures are just normal even warm for my home country. (with i could also get used to the heat and not sweat as much).

I really do think that those of use who have lived here for years continuously get far more used to it then those who have not.

Not that I am shivering here or anything like that.. but the fact that temperatures that were normally hot / comfortable are now cold to me does show at least some adaptation to the weather.

Yes it's called acclimatisation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

And why would I be offended,I'm 36 years of age have a family and work in the oil industry on a rotational basis.

I'm under no illusion that at my stage in life nor wish to,or can afford to reside here full time,I am very contented with my arrangement as I get the best of both worlds.

Cheers.

Edited by stoneyboy

Yes it's called acclimatisation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

And why would I be offended,I'm 36 years of age have a family and work in the oil industry on a rotational basis.

I'm under no illusion that at my stage in life nor wish to,or can afford to reside here full time,I am very contented with my arrangement as I get the best of both worlds.

Cheers.

Some people seem to get attacked by anything, and as I got a rep for attacking Brits( (IMHO undeserved as I make no difference where people come from just that there are many Brits here) I decided it be better to tiptoe around those who have shown to take things personally. There is also a group who sees part timers as less then full timers (not me).

Now if you knew about acclimatization why do you think its strange that threads pop up about the cold. You might not think its cold but a lot of us do.

And I knew that you worked oil and in rotation (you mentioned it in past posts) so that was why i brought up the part time bit.

Anyway I do believe in acclimatization but it never prevented me from sweating like a pig.

Edited by robblok