Keeping Warm these days.

menzies233

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can survive most cold with some technique (and adequate equipment). In the USA I camped out in temps as low as Minus-40 degrees (-40 C = -40 F), and I learned some painfully hard lessons about cold. See link below.

The OP has it right: Cover your head and neck, where we lose most body heat.

Layers: they must not be too tight, i.e., they must not bind and shut off comfortable circulation.

Most importantly, Food: eating calories equals adding body warmth. Just like added wood to a fire. If you are cold, eat calories every 3 hours. (If you are a dogmatic dieter, then freeze your sorry butt!) Here is my hard-won experience:

http://zenwind.blogspot.com/2007/05/minus-40-degrees.html

I bivouacked for 6 nights at Minus-40, the first 4 horribly cold but the last 2 tolerable because I ate food regularly those last 2 nights.

Excellent post and link thanks it took me back to walking the fells in the lake district in the depths of the UK winter, not as severe as the US but never the less cold, damp and uncomfortable but with so many positives in the experience

Using a CPU to heat a room...slap head in disbelief, accompanied by a dull grunt.

Im in Hong Kong its freezing , no heating am using hairdrier to heat the room, its 1200 watts and doing nicely thanks

We lite the bbq outside,when its good and hot,bring it in the house,done this 5/6 years now,fine with the extractor fan on and a window on the latch, done this monday night and looking forward to a bit of toast before kip,but was very fumy,Mrs reckoned it was rubber tree wood instead of the usual tamarind wood, so mind which charcol you buy,,

Again, a warning to have a carbon monoxide detector. What you are doing kills many people every year.

Using a CPU to heat a room...slap head in disbelief, accompanied by a dull grunt.

Im in Hong Kong its freezing , no heating am using hairdrier to heat the room, its 1200 watts and doing nicely thanks

Extended use outside of normal designed use and/or limits can lead to malfunction, including a fire hazard. Be careful with these oddball solutions.

I went to the Big C supermarket on Monday. It was so warm in there they must have had the air-con in reverse. Here's how to make a DIY HEATER. If you have 1 of those large round halogen cookers. Turn it full on set to max time. Put the heater lid upside down on the bowl & plug in. This is probably the most heat efficient portable item in the home.

Great minds been doing exactly that!

No gloves necessary I sit the lid right way up and sit on top of the tallest grille that usually goes in the bowl. I can touch the grille feet briefly even when it's on.

This keeps the light downwards too.

The fan disperses the heat fast no hot spots, only trouble if the room temp reaches 250C it will turn off!

BTW these ovens are fantastic......make great food fast, terrific for meat especially, and fantastically cheap. Inventor should get a Nobel Prize.

post-120824-0-40935500-1453949947_thumb.

Edited by cheeryble

Wood burning stove warms us up toasty. Aluminum flue best investment I made but have to admit when my wife suggested this I laughed and said come on your having a laugh (August was the month then). Wow was she right. Didn't cost much in the first place so even if we use it for a week it's well worth it

burning wood?????????? So you are one of those....don't care about environment and pollution. Didn't you learn anything?

-When in Rome, make it same the Romans do it!- tongue.png

What do the Thais burn? wink.png

By the way, what do my fellow country men in Europe burn in the countryside in their ovens? rolleyes.gif

-When in Rome, make it same the Romans do it!-

You don't need to follow all stupid and silly things....did your mother never told you?

And your countrymen? Where? I know them burning briquets... Maybe Ukraine is different. So I suppose you are from Eastern Europe? Russia maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Wood burning stove warms us up toasty. Aluminum flue best investment I made but have to admit when my wife suggested this I laughed and said come on your having a laugh (August was the month then). Wow was she right. Didn't cost much in the first place so even if we use it for a week it's well worth it

burning wood?????????? So you are one of those....don't care about environment and pollution. Didn't you learn anything?

-When in Rome, make it same the Romans do it!- tongue.png

What do the Thais burn? wink.png

By the way, what do my fellow country men in Europe burn in the countryside in their ovens? rolleyes.gif

-When in Rome, make it same the Romans do it!-

You don't need to follow all stupid and silly things....

And your countrymen? Where? I know them burning briquets... Maybe Ukraine is different. So I suppose you are from Eastern Europe? Russia maybe?

No, they burn since my youth and often still, wood in their fireplace, stove or tiled stove.

In Austria's countryside that is.

"did your mother never told you?" = NO, no chance for that. sad.png

My mother died when I was 2,5 years old in a Farm tractor accident, with me on the mudguard seat surviving.