The heat is on for heaters

cyberfarang

I still don't see any cold snap. Lows of 15-16 all month, and more importantly the highs are mostly 30-32.

There does not appear to be anything like the last three days on the horizon. Also, 6 PM temps are in the mid to high 20s (sunset).

Looks like this was it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait till the bills start coming in for 2000+watt heaters a fleece works just as well at 10c,

I warmly wait for our rural electric bill, and gladly shell out the extra ฿฿฿. Heck, I never turned off the heating in my home in the US. Why should I here? Temperature yesterday in our neck of the woods was in the mid single digits Celsius. In the US I heated a 2000 sq ft home. Here I heat a single room. Living room right now, bedrooms this evening. This is a short-term event. A few days at most instead of a few months in the US. I've never aspired toward self-inflicted masochism, not when being comfortable is well within my means. There were times in my life when it wasn't.

I still don't see any cold snap. Lows of 15-16 all month, and more importantly the highs are mostly 30-32.

There does not appear to be anything like the last three days on the horizon. Also, 6 PM temps are in the mid to high 20s (sunset).

Looks like this was it.

I take it you are not in Chiang Mai. Friends house hit 9 degrees last night, mine around 10-11. That is all day long, day and night.

Just curious but are the people buying heaters for a few days of use are the same people Queing up at Prom at 4:30 instead of using G4T

Nope. Now that they dumped the Online Queue System I have every plan to use a Visa Agent this year, just not G4T who I doubt do Marriage Extensions (not the Promenade). I'm pragmatic to a fault.

Will the same people who were complaining about the heat last year,

now be buying heaters ?, think of the people up in the hills,in bamboo

built houses,just put more clothes on its only going to last a few days

then the complaints will be about how hot it is again.

regards Worgeordie

Oh No! Not another thread about the cold weather! (As was kindly pointed out yesterday)

Seriously though, as you point out and as I pointed out yesterday, think about the poorer people here that have nothing, that cannot go to Homepro to buy a heater.

This has been the coldest spell in more than 10 years that I remember - out here in the sticks it got to a maximum of 12C yesterday, then put in the chill factor from the rain and wind! Some people here will be dead from this.

Then again for the Falangs, we will no doubt be advised by the armchair heroes, if we don't like it we can just go back home!

One thing that I noticed this year, great leader is not donating blankets or any help up here, nothing in my Tamboen, typical of the arrogant bitch that she is.

Also, for the ignorant poster that suggested that the poor who got free blankets in the past handouts "Lost" their blankets, please take a look at the quality or lack of, as to the blankets they hand out. They would be as much use as a kitchen towel or a paper wipe, they are not an heirloom to hand down to you grandchildren, they wouldn't survive a wool cycle in a washing machine.

Edited by menzies233

Looks like this was it.

Are you in Chiang Mai or Lamphun - I can tell you for a fact that yesterday barely hit 12C and morning and evening were quite a bit lower than that.

We heated three homes in Michigan primarily with wood stoves. Yes, they had central furnace systems -- of a sort. One had a hot water radiator system, another had an electric baseboard system (frightfully expensive to operate) and the third actually had what is considered a "modern" U.S. heating system of ducts and a furnace with forced heated air.

But, we always set the central heat thermostat at about 53-54 deg F, about 12 deg C, just to make sure the place didn't freeze if we were gone and then used a big wood stove with some ductwork to heat the central living area with the main bedroom above. Did this in three Michigan houses. Worked great and provided good winter exercises for Hubby and the dog in gathering and splitting wood.

I must admit, I miss having a wood stove on days like this, the odor, the sound, the sight and the coziness. You know, I look at the nice tile floor of our condo and think we could install a small wood-burner and vent it out one of the windows. It would be just the ticket for days like today.

We had tile floors in all the rooms where the wood burners were located -- with brick or rock fill underneath, and in one case, ductwork from the woodstove under the floor. The idea was that the woodstove would heat up the tile floor and the warm tiles would radiate their heat. Plus, the tile floors made it easy to clean up the inevitable mess you have when operating a wood stove as your primarily source of home heat.

It is so wrong now to walk on the tile floor barefoot and realize it feels cold. That wasn't the case for the tile floors of our homes in Michigan. They were always warm in the winter.

I have always found Accuweather pretty accurate

Looking at their monthly I saw the last 3 days coming & they were quite right temp wise.

So looking ahead seems it is over now & starting from tomorrow on it is back to normal or

were we were before that 3 day chill smile.png (well Thurs & Fri still slightly under 30c but Sat onwards back @ 30 & above )

Edited by mania

I can't believe what I'm reading! Heaters? LOL. We love this weather. It's only for a few days people. Put on some socks and a sweater. No big deal. I loved living in Europe during the winter. Heaters? Never.... The only ones cold in our house are the cats!

The one thing we are bummed about with regards to this cold weather is that almost all of our fish have died from shock; some we've had for 8 years now. sad.png

Looks like this was it.

I take it you are not in Chiang Mai. Friends house hit 9 degrees last night, mine around 10-11. That is all day long, day and night.

Trujillo is on about the temperatures shown in the chart for the next coming month. Not about the temperatures that have just been.

Even you are not reading the posts....hmmmm. The guy was saying that his girl friend told him that it was forecast for NEXT month that another cold spell was on the cards.

I am in CM. I got the same weather as everyone else, but didn't bolt to get a heater for the two days it was cold.

For me, one of the reasons I moved up here from the South was because you get some semblance of "winter" up here. I actually get to wear some kinds of winter clothes, instead of shorts all year round -- day and night. And I get to wear GLOVES for a couple days a year! Whoo-hoo!

If you are 87 and feeble, I see no reason not to go out and buy a heater; but for the rest of us, this weather is great. A nice brisk walk in weather that isn't either muggy as hell and hot as the devil's anvil (or that and rain combined) is a pure joy. I am sure many people who live here are from countries where 12 degrees C is a spring day at home.

I mean really, 12C is 22 degrees F above freezing; so no comments about, "It's freezing outside!"

My outdoor heater:

Go to the 29 baht shop and buy a big wok -- I have a 50cm one -- and get a clay flowerpot and a rock/brick. But the rock/brick in the bottom of the empty pot, and put the wok on the pot. Now you have a brazier. Pull up a couple of low chairs and enjoy. Beers not optional...

post-165256-0-01597100-1453957064_thumb.

This is what it looks like after you turn it on:

post-165256-0-39071900-1453957082_thumb.

Even you are not reading the posts....hmmmm. The guy was saying that his girl friend told him that it was forecast for NEXT month that another cold spell was on the cards.

I am in CM. I got the same weather as everyone else, but didn't bolt to get a heater for the two days it was cold.

For me, one of the reasons I moved up here from the South was because you get some semblance of "winter" up here. I actually get to wear some kinds of winter clothes, instead of shorts all year round -- day and night. And I get to wear GLOVES for a couple days a year! Whoo-hoo!

If you are 87 and feeble, I see no reason not to go out and buy a heater; but for the rest of us, this weather is great. A nice brisk walk in weather that isn't either muggy as hell and hot as the devil's anvil (or that and rain combined) is a pure joy. I am sure many people who live here are from countries where 12 degrees C is a spring day at home.

I mean really, 12C is 22 degrees F above freezing; so no comments about, "It's freezing outside!"

My outdoor heater:

Go to the 29 baht shop and buy a big wok -- I have a 50cm one -- and get a clay flowerpot and a rock/brick. But the rock/brick in the bottom of the empty pot, and put the wok on the pot. Now you have a brazier. Pull up a couple of low chairs and enjoy. Beers not optional...

attachicon.gifWok brazier small.JPG

attachicon.gifMark last fire Chiang Mai small.jpg

Brisk walks are fine if you are all wrapped up, but some people don't want to sit in the house or sleep with coats and boots on. If you enjoy the cool weather it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to understand that some people don't. At 10 or 12 degrees in Europe most people will switch on the Central Heating or light a fire, so why should people in Chiang Mai (other than feeble 87 year-olds) be any different?

My outdoor heater:

attachicon.gifWok brazier small.JPG

attachicon.gifMark last fire Chiang Mai small.jpg

Must be a typo, 22 degrees F in 12 above freezing, 12 degrees C is 12 degrees above zero. 0 C = 32 F. Just saying :-)

At 10 or 12 degrees in Europe most people will switch on the Central Heating or light a fire, so why should people in Chiang Mai (other than feeble 87 year-olds) be any different?

Because in Europe, this happens routinely and over more time than a couple of days. And central heating or a fireplace is a built-in feature of a house.

If you want to buy an expensive object that is useful for a couple days a year (or years...that cold front from China might not happen again for years), do it by all means. But don't forget that certain Thais (particularly the ones in the northern mountains) would see this as bolstering the notion that farangs are all filthy rich and, to some degree, decadent.

------------------------------------

12 degrees C is about 54 degrees F

54F-32F (freezing) = 22 degrees F

Therefore, 12 degrees C is 22 degrees F above freezing, which is what I said. No typo.

I can't believe what I'm reading! Heaters? LOL. We love this weather. It's only for a few days people. Put on some socks and a sweater. No big deal. I loved living in Europe during the winter. Heaters? Never.... The only ones cold in our house are the cats!

The one thing we are bummed about with regards to this cold weather is that almost all of our fish have died from shock; some we've had for 8 years now. sad.png

You don't live where I do. Average temps according to Accuweather and other weather hubs that consolidate reading? Dandy, in the teens. In our valley it's in the single digits. That's uncomfortable. I'm neither a masochist nor a hedonist. For the slight bump in cost, I'll plan ahead and be comfortable. For those whom wish to 'fleece up' and brave the cold, that's fine. I'm not you. I respect your decision. For those who wish to forego A/C in the hot season and spray water everywhere, fine. I'm not you. I have A/Cs in both bedrooms. Our energy 'footprint' doesn't even remotely compare to what I use to use in the US, nor what my friends use in the US as we speak. We heat when we're really cold, and we cool when we are really hot. And we only heat/cool small insulated spaces. Overall, our friends in the US would be uncomfortable in our home, but we are acclimatized.

Now, you want to talk stupid. Walk into a bank or mall or hospital or dentist office and ask yourself, why the heck is it 68 F/ 20 C degrees when it's 35 C / 95 F outside. Most people would be comfortable with an indoor temperature of 80 F / 27C I keep my home at 30 C / 86F in the hot months, and I'm very comfortable.