Home made wholewheat bread

zoolander

I have tried most of the recipes on the net but have yet to make a decent loaf. Usually they are too crumbly.

Anyone have a detailed recipe they would like to share and telling us what trade names of ingredients you are using.

I use a table top oven for baking.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

http://www.ehow.com/how_2294762_make-bread-less-crumbly.html

I suspect that maybe you aren't kneading it enough/letting it rise long enough, or doing it enough times.

Bear in mind that proper bread will always be more crumbly than the factory stuff.

You might find that a mix of 70/30 wholemeal/white flour helps until you get the hang of it.

And are you using strong bread flour? I always get this specifically from Tops, who import it from the UK. The one I get is organic also.

Here's my recipe, adapted from my white loaf recipe.

I use a Kenwood Chef food mixer with a dough hook for kneading. If you knead by hand you'll have to do it for around 10mins.

250 gms Wholemeal flour (From Foodland 25bht per 500gms) it's in a small brown bag, imported from Australia.

250 gms Bread flour (Swan brand, available everywhere 35 bht per kilo)

7 gms quick acting yeast

2 tsps salt

3 tbsps oil (Veg or olive) or melted butter

400-500 ml warm water

Place everything apart from the water in a bowl and mix together.

Add most of the water and mix together until it forms a ball (You may need to add some more water)

Knead the dough for around 5mins (If using a mixer)

Form the dough into a ball and place on a floured baking sheet.

Cover with a tea towel and leave somewhere warm until it's doubled in size (About an hour)

Sprinkle tap water over the loaf and sprinkle some oats on top. Sprinkle with water again (This makes a good crust).

Place in a pre heated oven 220c for 30 mins.

Take out and leave on a rack to cool.

You'll notice I don't knock the dough back after the first rise and let it rise for a second time. I find it's not necessary. Another thing, I've found that if the dough is too wet it doesn't hold it's shape and you get a flatter loaf.

This recipe is pretty foolproof, and has never let me down.

Good luck.

Edited by jaiyenyen

I use a Kenwood Chef food mixer with a dough hook for kneading. If you knead by hand you'll have to do it for around 10mins.

250 gms Wholemeal flour (From Foodland 25bht per 500gms) it's in a small brown bag, imported from Australia.

7 gms quick acting yeast

2 tsps salt

400-500 ml warm water

Add most of the water and mix together until it forms a ball (You may need to add some more water)

Cover with a tea towel and leave somewhere warm until it's doubled in size (About an hour)

Sprinkle tap water over the loaf and sprinkle some oats on top. Sprinkle with water again (This makes a good crust).

You'll notice I don't knock the dough back after the first rise and let it rise for a second time. I find it's not necessary. Another thing, I've found that if the dough is too wet it doesn't hold it's shape and you get a flatter loaf.

Good luck.

Many thanks will give it a go

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for some decent yeast, the stuff I got from Tesco Lotus wasn't much use, it doesn't even smell like yeast. The dough did rise, but not as much as I would have expected and the resultant bread was too hard. Not enough air pockets to make it light and fluffy.

I'm near Roi Et and I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent bakery supplies store'

• 2 weeks later...

7 gms quick acting yeast

2 tsps salt

400-500 ml warm water

Good luck.

What about sugar or honey?

If your using dried yeast and still not getting the dough to rise enough, add the yeast to warm water (not hot but just above tepid temperature) and a little sugar if you want. This usually activates the yeast immediately and the sugar will feed the mixture so it gets working immediately once added to the dry ingredients.

This will give better results even if the yeast has been sitting for a long time, but remember if the water is too hot, it will kill the yeast.

You can add a teaspoon of sugar if you want but I don't think it adds anything to the taste of the bread, I believe the sugar is meant to feed the yeast but I don't think instant dried yeast needs it

You're right it doesn't. What's more, it's the kind that's sold everywhere in Thailand. Whereas activated dry yeast, the kind that used most in the USA, is very hard to find in Thailand.

We had been making wholewheat bread for about 10 years, when we decided to make sourdough bread.

It took a few weeks and a couple of failed attempts, but now we only eat sourdough bread. We make all sorts of bread such as walnut, pumkin and grain mixtures.

Yesterday I tried some homemade wheat bread at a good restaurant. It seemed tasteless and had no texture.

I think it is difficult to go back to yeast bread now.