Visa extension based on Retirement Financials

I'm make an application for a visa extension based on retirement, I have enough money this time to make a lumpsum payment, but next time I'm thinking I dont want to have the money in the bank for three months, evenso I dont want my pension paid mothly as I will rack up transfer cost, so i was thinking of brining it as a lumpsum and paying from account to another to show a monthly income, I have a Bangkok bank account and if I do this it will be seen as a "tranfer" and I'm wondering if they will pick this up in the application process, any ideas experince?

Next year I might switch to a marriage visa, which as the lumpsum, but not as much.

You don't have to transfer the income every month to satisfy immigration if they ask for that as back up proof for your income letter. You could move some every few months. Immigration would also accept proof of your pension.

I am sure it would be noticed that the funds came from another account.here. They also would also expect to see the code (FTT) for international transfers .

If you are planning to rely on the 65,000 THB monthly income method of proving finances for future retirement extensions, it is of no concern to Immigration whether your pension is paid into your Bangkok Bank account or into an account of yours back in your home country. Your Embassy will issue the necessary confirmation letter on the basis of monthly amounts stated in your home country's currency, which Immigration will then convert into THB at the prevailing exchange rate on the date when you lodge your extension of stay application with them.

It is only when proving finances on the basis of a minimum 800,000 THB bank balance that the money needs to be held in a Thai account.

• Like 1

I have the income letter for my extension of stay , I bring my money over when I require it nobody has ever questioned why I do not bring it over every month, however when I do my yearly extension I always like to show upwards of 50,000 baht in my Thai bank account in 9 years I have never had a problem

• Like 1

Just to confirm the above posts. My embassy issues a confirmation letter of my yearly income in my home currency.

Immigration in Bangkok, convert to Thai baht and divide by twelve. They have never requested any proof that the money ever enters Thailand.

• Like 1

I get a staturory declaration from my embassy (Australian) for 520 bart cost at the embassy showing I have a monthly income of more than 65,000 bart. That is all Immigration want along with the usual forms and photocopies from your passport and proof of residence. They do not look at your bank account. Do not use an agency, you can do it all yourself.

I have the income letter for my extension of stay , I bring my money over when I require it nobody has ever questioned why I do not bring it over every month, however when I do my yearly extension I always like to show upwards of 50,000 baht in my Thai bank account in 9 years I have never had a problem

Why would you show them any money? All that's required is the proof of income. I've been using a proof of income for many years. Never been asked for anything more and never offered. Personally I think its a bad idea to provide any information your not asked for when dealing with any bureaucracy. Its not going to help and it could hurt you. More information means potentially more questions....

Anglesea mentioned the usual forms, this is my first time can someone confirm if this is the correct list, it’s for an extension based retirement:

1. TM7 Application form

2. TM6 Immigration card - copied

3. Passport - pages copied and signed

4. Proof of funds consular letter

5. Proof of address: I have finance on a new Ford car, I think this should OK, but if not will use the taben and id card from the house owner (father in law)

6. 1 x 4cm x 6cm photo

7. ?

I will also check with the immigration depart beforehand (Chachoengsao) to see if there are any changes.

I must admit that I'm a little confused here. Section 2.22 (retirement) clause 4 definitely states that funds must be in a Thai bank account but then this is for the 800,000 Baht. I have to admit that the other clauses that mention a bank do not mention a Thai bank specifically. During the first few years I was on the 'marriage' system and then converted to the retirement later but in both I was told by the officers that I had to show the monthly into a Thai bank (originally Nong Khai and later Udon immigration). I was also told recently that although helpful, officers were being told not to rely on the embassy letter as proof but rely on the bank book(s) and certification from the bank. Clause 3 does say that evidence (does not qualify what is or what is not evidence) must be monthly. Some posts here seem to suggest that bank books are not required so I'm wondering if this another case of different offices applying/interpreting the rules differently.

I must admit that I'm a little confused here. Section 2.22 (retirement) clause 4 definitely states that funds must be in a Thai bank account but then this is for the 800,000 Baht. I have to admit that the other clauses that mention a bank do not mention a Thai bank specifically. During the first few years I was on the 'marriage' system and then converted to the retirement later but in both I was told by the officers that I had to show the monthly into a Thai bank (originally Nong Khai and later Udon immigration). I was also told recently that although helpful, officers were being told not to rely on the embassy letter as proof but rely on the bank book(s) and certification from the bank. Clause 3 does say that evidence (does not qualify what is or what is not evidence) must be monthly. Some posts here seem to suggest that bank books are not required so I'm wondering if this another case of different offices applying/interpreting the rules differently.

If you use the money in the bank option it must be in a Thai bank.

If you are using the income option there is no rule that requires it to be deposited in a Thai bank. There are few odd offices that will want back up proof to the income letter. Some will want it to be coming into a Thai bank while others will be satisfied if you show other proof of the income,.

If you use the money in the bank option it must be in a Thai bank.

If you are using the income option there is no rule that requires it to be deposited in a Thai bank. There are few odd offices that will want back up proof to the income letter. Some will want it to be coming into a Thai bank while others will be satisfied if you show other proof of the income,.

Thanks for that. Since I have always used the combination method I have no experience of the income only. Ha! clear as mud.smile.png

To get the income letter from the British embassy they only required 3 months UK bank statements showing my rental income. Korat immigration wanted nothing else. Although they charge 2600 baht for the letter at least I didn't have to go to Bangkok to get it(just EMS it) . I got my original letter quoting my passport number but then had to renew my passport. The embassy which were very helpful reissued the letter with my new passport number for no charge simply by emailing them a scan of my new passport.

800,000 Baht is less than US$22,000. For such a paltry sum, why not just deposit it in a Thai bank and be done with it? Headaches avoided.

Maybe I am missing something here......

You're Welcome!! smile.png

Maybe he wants to eat during the year and needs the cash.

• Like 1

How does the combination method work? let me take a guess, if you deposit 500KTHB as a lump sum than you have a pension income of 300KTHB?

Does the lumpsum have to come from abroad? and what evidence do you have to show the immigration officer? proof of income from for the 300KTHB and the 500KTHB in the back for 2 months?

How does the combination method work? let me take a guess, if you deposit 500KTHB as a lump sum than you have a pension income of 300KTHB?

Does the lumpsum have to come from abroad? and what evidence do you have to show the immigration officer? proof of income from for the 300KTHB and the 500KTHB in the back for 2 months?

A better example would be 500k baht income and 300k baht in the bank.

The money does not have not have to come from abroad for an extension application. Proof of income by way of a letter from your embassy and money in the bank. There is no written requirement for the money in the bank for any amount of time. But some offices would want it to be in the bank for 2 months especially if the money in the bank was greater than income.

It is clause 2.22 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay that shows the requirements for retirement.

I use the combo method as my pension is equivalent to 45 to 50kTHB/month or 540 to 600KTHB/year depending on the fluctuation of the change rate.

So I maintain a lump sum of 300KTHB in a Thai Bank in complement and every year I bring a letter from my consulate, my bank book and a letter from the bank to the immigration to renew the 1 year extension of stay. Never had a problem.

Please note that the complementary lump sum must be in the bank for at least 3 months before the request for the extension of stay.

TKDfella can you share the document you are refering to when you say "section 2.2

Mr Money bags, if 800,00THB is paltry sum,If i give you my bank details perhaps you can help me help, it would be welcome biggrin.png

The document that I was referring to has been superseded by the order mentioned by ubonjoe. I haven't checked out the complete document differences and just focused on 'retirement'. The only differences noted was that previously the term 'funds' was used and this seems to have been replaced by 'fluids'. My guess is that because exchange rates change then immigration things this 'fluids' is more appropriate. However, I certainly hope the second change is an error 800,000 plus a '0'. I'd hate to think that they meant 8,000,000 sad.pngsad.pngsad.png !
2.22 In the case of retirement:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or
(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(B) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000
To the poster who thinks 800,000 is no large sum...can we all come and live on your big yacht that you must have floating around Thailand somewherebiggrin.pngbiggrin.png