Harley Davidson to get cheaper?

schweizer

Based on the story in todays Bangkok Post, it seems that due to the creation of a new training center for Harley Davidson in Thailand the BOI has allowed an exemption\lowering of import duty for their motorcycles and parts, I for one, if this is true, would welcome the idea as I was just thinking of buying one.

Possibly current owners of Harleys might not be so enthusiastic as it could lower the prices in the second hand market too?

Any thoughts?

I'm sorry if I burst your bubble, but as I read the article the duty exemption is almost certainly only for the motorcycles and parts they will be using at the training centre. To me it would make no sense to grant a duty exemption based just on the establishment of a training centre.

Sophon

There making some models in India now...

I had a rented Bullet, 350 cc for three months in India about 30 years ago. Nice bikes, just wondering why you don't see them here, only the Rikschas from India.

The new RE shop is now open in BKK and taking orders.

There was another article somewhere that mentioned that Thailand was considering lowering the Import Tax on "luxury" items. I think the gist of the article was that it would make it cheaper for BMW/Mercedes lovers to get cars/parts but I'm thinking (hoping) it would also apply to Harleys/parts. I've just imported a bunch for my bike and every frikken time I'm paying almost 50% of the cost of the part(s) in Import taxes/duties/fees/tariffs.

Lowering the tax would be a boom for imports and wouldn't really hurt the domestic market as there isn't really any competition for Harleys. I see the odd big Honda or Kawasaki (cruiser) but they are a rare breed compared to Harleys. The whole "high tax" thing was meant to protect the domestic market but BMW/Harley/others aren't trying to take over the 90-125cc scooter market (though the Chinese/Indians/Iranians might try if they could bring in their stuff cheaper). Bringing down the tax on high end items would benefit the average Thai a lot more than it would hurt the (domestic) economy.

Not going to happen so long as motorcycles are manufactured here in Thailand and has nothing to do with competition.

Part of the BOI system is guaranteeing a certain amount of local sales for opening a factory in Thailand, barring these luxury brands, HD included, opening manufacturing facilities here in Thailand there is not going to be any change to the import tax situation

Sorry, but If you want to own and ride a Hog in Thailand you are going to have to pay the costs