2 men nabbed for total 4 years in visa overstays

Rimmer

2 men nabbed for total 4 years in visa overstays

n11overstays1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya-area immigration officials continued their crackdown on visa overstayers, catching two men, including one who has lived in Thailand illegally for nearly three years.

Arab Mohsan, 50, was arrested just after midnight Jan. 20 near Jomtien Soi 17. A check of his passport revealed he had overstayed his visa by 1,090 days.

The Iranian entered the country on Jan. 26, 2012 on a 60-day tourist visa and had not extended or renewed it.

n11overstays2.jpg

The same day, officers stopped an Indian man on Soi 14 near Walking Street after seeing him acting “suspiciously”. A check of his travel documents showed he had violated his visa terms by 356 days.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/2-men-nabbed-for-total-4-years-in-visa-overstays-55259#sthash.iMziIqxp.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-01-29 footer_n.gif

Jomtien Soi 17. Far out in Russia land. What is an Arab man doing there? Yes they work " hard" find these overstay people. But I think all this is back to the old fashion Thailand. I think so. This wild crack down on foreigners is a relatively a new law and must initially be maintained. Need to satisfy the General.

It's not only Pattaya they are checking. Last Tuesday the local police came to the house where I stay and checked my documents. I live in rural Esaan.

looking at your profile, you might be an American like me. I am not sure how i will react if people show up to "check my papers". stay calm and be super friendly i guess. it is mostly all theater.

but it reminds me of the WWII movie The Great Escape, with Nazis checking your papers everywhere you go.

did they walk into your house and sort of look around? or did they stay outside?

my QTH is Hua Hin. :) i think the expats in more remote areas are being checked because the Thais think they are trying to stay off the radar.

It's not only Pattaya they are checking. Last Tuesday the local police came to the house where I stay and checked my documents. I live in rural Esaan.

Nobody has come to look for me yet. I live in rural Khampaeng Phet.

Here in my town rural Esarn. You ger them at least twice the week and checking all the foreigners at the night market. AND you can get them coming to your home at 10.30 / 11 pm and ask for papers. Happened some times.

looking at your profile, you might be an American like me. I am not sure how i will react if people show up to "check my papers". stay calm and be super friendly i guess. it is mostly all theater.

but it reminds me of the WWII movie The Great Escape, with Nazis checking your papers everywhere you go.

did they walk into your house and sort of look around? or did they stay outside?

my QTH is Hua Hin. smile.png i think the expats in more remote areas are being checked because the Thais think they are trying to stay off the radar.

Yes I'm an American. I didn't particularly like them coming to this house. Had it been at a check point I would have felt differently. They didn't come into the house or ask to.

Edited by Pimay1

this is why it is important to always look your best when you go about your business living in Thailand.

you never know when your photo will be on Thaivisa. smile.png

After reading this I just went and changed and had a shave.....giggle.gif

you could have showered as well laugh.png

my QTH is Hua Hin. smile.png i think the expats in more remote areas are being checked because the Thais think they are trying to stay off the radar.

Had this happen a couple of times....

"did they walk into your house and sort of look around? or did they stay outside?"

They did not get an invitation to come inside, my front gate was locked through the whole ordeal.....

could tell they really wanted to come in and check the house....

not going to happen on my watch. not without a reason or a warrant....

they even tried it on with asking for money for petrol and M150 - They got nothing....

Had a friend of a friend that started paying, but then they just started to show up on regular basis until he moved....

If they had been readers of Thai Visa I am sure they would have been well aware

of this crackdown and would have gotten legal in time. Now it is trouble in Thailand

for these two rapscallions. whistling.gif

I am American also and last week did my 90 day checkin out in Eastern Isan and know the drill and officers well after 3 years there. One of the bosses came out from back and ask if I would mind being photographed with him holding and reading the overstay brochure.I said sure !! They are a good team out there!

Jomtien Soi 17. Far out in Russia land. What is an Arab man doing there? Yes they work " hard" find these overstay people. But I think all this is back to the old fashion Thailand. I think so. This wild crack down on foreigners is a relatively a new law and must initially be maintained. Need to satisfy the General.

As much I think the current ruling "party" is not delivering as promised as I have seen no real reforms and things seem to be getting worse not better, I have to say that what they are doing in this instance is right.

All countries do the same, if you do not have appropriate visa and are staying illegally in the county you would be arrested and deported, simple as that.

Why would the police come and check your papers? Its an immigration issue .

Im surprised the cops in Isaan even know what a visa is.

Police cannot enter your house without a warrant or just cause. Checking ones passport would not justify entering a persons home uninvited.

Dont let them in. If cops are checking farangs papers in the food markets up country thats only because they want to make money.

Its no wonder many farangs are now moving to the Phillipines and Vietnam. Far less immigration harrassment.

Why would the police come and check your papers? Its an immigration issue .

Im surprised the cops in Isaan even know what a visa is.

Police cannot enter your house without a warrant or just cause. Checking ones passport would not justify entering a persons home uninvited.

Dont let them in. If cops are checking farangs papers in the food markets up country thats only because they want to make money.

Its no wonder many farangs are now moving to the Phillipines and Vietnam. Far less immigration harrassment.

I think the police have instructions from on high to register the farang in their area. Had a couple of visits here in rural Chayapoum. First time I was out but got a message to visit the local cop shop. Just a 2 room hut really and the bloke was knackered complaining he had to go to 9 different villages that day registering us lot. I filled out most of the paperwork for him just scrappy bits of paper.

About 2 months later he and co cop came around with more official looking paperwork and we sat in the garden filling it out over a beer. No big deal but think big brother will now have that paper in his filing cabinet.

They probably were looking for that gun with the bullets. Did they find it?

Nope, I have it hidden well.