SURVEY: Is it getting easier or more difficult to stay in Thailand?

SURVEY: Is it getting easier or more difficult to stay in Thailand?   

420 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's easy as that: show my passport, fill in a form, show my pension statement....that's it. So it's all the same as before. No hassle, no sweat.....Another year with a visa...

Do you have to leave Thailand to get your new "retirement visa"?

no, it's all done in CM immigration. I can't really complain. Always nice to me...

Before all that, many people chose Thailand for the freedom and adventure, and the easy-going life there. While there are still ways to live that life, increasingly, the desperate refugees from Western society have taken over, determined to infect the first place with their desperation. Words like, "appropriate visa", " genuine reason to be in Thailand", etc., have replaced the live-and-let-live spirit that used to exist. Now, it's all about making it like whatever miserable hole they came from - more laws, more penalties, kick out those perceived as only in Thailand for fun, etc., etc.

It isnt the "Western refugees" that implement the Visa rules and regulations, its the Thai Government .

The Thai Government has stated that they want everyone on the correct Visa, so, dont go blaming the messenger .

But , yes, Thailand is growing up, becoming more civilised , its no longer a place where older Foreigners can come to live a law less life .

Thailand no longer wants to be the Worlds playground where older men can come and re live their teenage years

It's easy as that: show my passport, fill in a form, show my pension statement....that's it. So it's all the same as before. No hassle, no sweat.....Another year with a visa...

no, it's all done in CM immigration. I can't really complain. Always nice to me...

If you're doing it in Chiang Mai, I believe you are merely extending your permission to stay based on retirement?

I somewhat sympathize with people who have to get up at 0400 in order to get a seat or ticket at Chiang Mai and other heavily farang oriented offices. I am fortunate to live in a rural area of Phichit and use the Immigration in P'Lok. With all the required paperwork in order and a tidy appearance and pleasant attitude, the process is fairly straightforward and painless.

I am sure some people in similar situations might agree?

I have done that numerous times, been to CM immigration at 3 AM, getting in the queue to extend my Visa .

They have new immigration office now and these days you can just walk in anytime of the day and get a visa extension within minutes .

The old office just couldnt cope with the sheer numbers of people who needed to attend the immigration office

I just apply for another extension of stay each year.

There have been no dramatic "changes" which have affected me.

I can believe that the DN's and others who cannot meet any long stay visa or extension of stay requirements are being "inconvenienced" !

• Like 1

Particularly galling is these desperate bastards attempting to speak on behalf of the Thai people and government, as if they have any insight. Telling you whether or not you're a 'genuine tourist'? Bullshit.

So, yes, it's getting harder to stay in Thailand, if only for having to suffer these types.

Good day.

How would a Foreigner questioning whether certain people are really genuine tourists or not , make it more harder for you to stay in Thailand ?

I cannot see the connection between the two.

The so-called "riffraff" just happens to be spending quite a large amount of money here. Not enough for the Thai supremacists, but a large amount nevertheless.

It is a bit more difficult. But nobody said cleaning out the riffraff was gonna be easy. Can't just snap your fingers & expect it all to be fixed. Baby steps.

The so-called "riffraff" just happens to be spending quite a large amount of money here. Not enough for the Thai supremacists, but a large amount nevertheless.

It is a bit more difficult. But nobody said cleaning out the riffraff was gonna be easy. Can't just snap your fingers & expect it all to be fixed. Baby steps.

Were can the evidence for these people "spending large amounts of money" be found ?

TheKnave. Well written. You seem to have lived here quite some time. Out of interest, if it's not to personal, what visas etc have you used to enable long term stay?

Personally I'm over 50 so O based on retirement. However if I was under I would use the METV and SETV to remain. Hopefully the METV may become available at nearby consulates. I think it's possible to stay here on tourist visas but for some has become harder

In the '80s, everyone I knew did visa runs, mostly visa-exempt entries. I did, too, without problems. Later, I was employed and had a B visa and work permit. After I turned 50, I had extensions based on retirement, and, at one point, after returning to the US for a couple of years, I had an O-A, which I followed with retirement extensions. I now reside in the US.

I have never had an overstay.

I have a non-Thai wife, who was mistreated by immigration, based solely on her nationality, on several occasions. That, and lack of any significant opportunity for her informed my decision to leave, a bittersweet event.

If single, I would probably have stayed, but not on Tourist Visas...too nerve wracking these days, and the travel gets tedious.

Hope this helps. My last word on my personal situation.

Cheers.

I have no intention or desire to live here full time but i am a frequent visitor coming 3 or 4 times a year for periods of one to three months. The current visa rules are quite satisfactory and i have never had a problem.

However, the regular reinterpretation and inconsistant application of the rules makes me wary and nervous each time I come back.

The rules have always been applied inconsistently, but the general trend was flat for many years. I think a certain amount of negative public opinion and resentment has been building since '97, when the Thais wouldn't face the fact that their own economic policy (or lack thereof) precipitated the currency crash. Having to accept IMF bailout, and some externally imposed restrictions was not popular, with people calling the IMF, "International Mother and Father", and culminating with Thaksin (" The UN is not my father"), and the rise of the jingoisticly named Thai Rak Thai party.

Since then, various governments have whipped up distrust of foreigners whenever their failures needed cover. Public opinion wavered accordingly, and so did enforcement of existing immigration law, as well as a few draconian adventures into new ones (remember 90 days in any 180 day period?). Still, the trend was only slightly toward tightening, and Immigration pretty much followed public sentiment, some better and some worse, but on average, manageable.

At this point, it bears mentioning that, very often, a few baht was needed to get things done at Immigration. In Nong Khai, for instance, one of the IOs had cookies for sale, and a few baht got you something to munch on, and your passport stamped...

As petty corruption came under scrutiny, especially after the 2006 coup, Immigration officers came under a lot of pressure, and foreigners numbers were increasing. It was no longer as easy to make extra cash by extorting visa applicants. This was a huge source of resentment, and contributes to the unpleasantness and lack of service that many experience. The agents, with their stacks of passports, and, more importantly, their brown envelopes, are still welcomed, and treated well...

So, the trend of public opinion, and that of Immigration, which follows it, has been gradually, but steadily becoming anti-foreigner. The trend, since the junta took power, however, is more like the end of a hockey stick.

The petulance at the actions against human trafficking, air worthiness, etc., is demonstrable, and the public is palpably resentful at being subjected to what they see as outside interference. The refusal of the NASA monitoring station, the lagging on Cobra Gold and the shift toward China are all related to this trend. It's not surprising, therefore, that petty bureaucrats feel justified in making things harder for Western residents. The placing of the onus for getting a TM30 done, which is the landlord's responsibility, on the applicant, is just one example.

The enforcement of these laws was always reserved for bad actors, and used effectively to get rid of them, if need be. Now, someone who wants to use Thailand as a base to explore SEA has to live in fear that he will be refused entry upon encountering an IO who had a bad day. In the past, even a bad IO wouldn't say much more than, "Isn't it about time you went home?" And maybe hint around for a purple note...

All this is not to say that foreigners don't cause many of their own problems. The internet has made it possible for the most clueless to make their way to Thailand, and behave accordingly. And turning Chiang Mai into a giant geriatric intensive care unit has not gone unnoticed. No offense to the many lovely retirees there, of course.

Before all that, many people chose Thailand for the freedom and adventure, and the easy-going life there. While there are still ways to live that life, increasingly, the desperate refugees from Western society have taken over, determined to infect the first place with their desperation. Words like, "appropriate visa", " genuine reason to be in Thailand", etc., have replaced the live-and-let-live spirit that used to exist. Now, it's all about making it like whatever miserable hole they came from - more laws, more penalties, kick out those perceived as only in Thailand for fun, etc., etc.

Particularly galling is these desperate bastards attempting to speak on behalf of the Thai people and government, as if they have any insight. Telling you whether or not you're a 'genuine tourist'? Bullshit.

So, yes, it's getting harder to stay in Thailand, if only for having to suffer these types.

Good day.

Ever considered living your own life and letting others not get you down?

I think you just answered your own question for him smile.png

I always do. I have no interest in what others do. However @ironbark seems to be somewhat consumed with other people

Good day.

How would a Foreigner questioning whether certain people are really genuine tourists or not , make it more harder for you to stay in Thailand ?

I cannot see the connection between the two.

Perhaps a bit of sarcasm/hyperbole. Just an example of the annoying behavior exhibited by the sanctimonious newcomers. Not saying they make anything harder, just less pleasant.

Are you being obtuse to make a point, or merely pedantic?

• Like 1

It isnt the "Western refugees" that implement the Visa rules and regulations, its the Thai Government .

The Thai Government has stated that they want everyone on the correct Visa, so, dont go blaming the messenger .

But , yes, Thailand is growing up, becoming more civilised , its no longer a place where older Foreigners can come to live a law less life .

Thailand no longer wants to be the Worlds playground where older men can come and re live their teenage years

Please favor us with some illustrative anecdotes about your long perspective on Thai immigration policies. How and when did you first comply with Thai immigration law?

Never mind. Sorry to embarass you.

• Like 1

Please favor us with some illustrative anecdotes about your long perspective on Thai immigration policies. How and when did you first comply with Thai immigration law?

Never mind. Sorry to embarass you.

I ve always tried to comply with Thai immigration laws .

Are you on a long term overstay ?

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this topic - unsurprisingly.

That may be because the answer is obvious; it is getting more difficult--look at the passage of the new and/or enforcement of the current immigration laws. Those who voted it is the same, have most likely been here on long term legitimate visas or visit infrequently on various tourist entries/visas. My wife and I are here on retirement extensions of non-O visas.

Last March for our ninth retirement extension, there were new officials with whom to deal. I was hassled about my finances. Even though I had an income statement from my embassy, the immigration officials muttered something about money laundering wanted to see my monthly deposits in a Thai bank before they would grant our extensions. I argued there was no need for us to show B65k/mo or B130k/mo transferred to a bank in Thailand, just as there is no need for anyone on the B800k method to show they spent it annually in Thailand. After running us around for a couple more hours and having us go home to bring back our bank book--yes, the book is in both our names--we showed it to them; it had about B6k in it. That satisfied them; they issued both retirement extensions and were so confused they did not even take my income statement.

So, some may say I wasn't hassled, well I disagree. In all previous extensions, we were in and out in less than an hour, there was never a need to even have a bank account, and they never questioned my wife piggy-backing on the retirement extension. With all the crackdown on immigration fraud, changes in immigration regulations, and the ever present incompetence among the individually omnipotent immigration officers; I foresee more hassles in the future--remember, they do not even have an income statement for our current retirement extensions. We use the ATM to receive cash--so we are now keeping ATM receipts.

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this topic - unsurprisingly.

That may be because the answer is obvious; it is getting more difficult--look at the passage of the new and/or enforcement of the current immigration laws. Those who voted it is the same, have most likely been here on long term legitimate visas or visit infrequently on various tourist entries/visas. My wife and I are here on retirement extensions of non-O visas.

Last March for our ninth retirement extension, there were new officials with whom to deal. I was hassled about my finances. Even though I had an income statement from my embassy, the immigration officials muttered something about money laundering wanted to see my monthly deposits in a Thai bank before they would grant our extensions. I argued there was no need for us to show B65k/mo or B130k/mo transferred to a bank in Thailand, just as there is no need for anyone on the B800k method to show they spent it annually in Thailand. After running us around for a couple more hours and having us go home to bring back our bank book--yes, the book is in both our names--we showed it to them; it had about B6k in it. That satisfied them; they issued both retirement extensions and were so confused they did not even take my income statement.

So, some may say I wasn't hassled, well I disagree. In all previous extensions, we were in and out in less than an hour, there was never a need to even have a bank account, and they never questioned my wife piggy-backing on the retirement extension. With all the crackdown on immigration fraud, changes in immigration regulations, and the ever present incompetence among the individually omnipotent immigration officers; I foresee more hassles in the future--remember, they do not even have an income statement for our current retirement extensions. We use the ATM to receive cash--so we are now keeping ATM receipts.

I am the same as you. I get most of my money by ATM. I found the receipts become no good after a few months. the ink fades and it becomes a blank piece of paper with the banks name on it.All the money info is gone. But can save anyways.

My first visa was marriage visa . i got divorced and went to Bangkok as i was told to do and see immigration.. The immigration officer looked at my info and told me go get a letter from Embassy about income and tomorrow I will give you a retirement visa. I came back the next day she gave me my visa before lunch with no problem. Too easy.

I will go renew permission to stay again in april it will be my 9 th time,i will see the if it is still easy or not.i have a feeling it will be more difficult. New guy there seeks to like his power and treat people poorly.

• Like 1

I checked 'about the same'. Not being able to do 90 day reports online as I live in Nonthaburi means a trip out to Immigration which is in the middle of rice fields well back from Kanachanpisek. IMHO the location of the Office smells of corruption. Why else would it be where it is? My retirement extension is up for renewal late February so I will find out then if things have changed compared to the last several years.

It's ridiculously easy if you go down the Thai Elite card route.

For Ed Visas and the like it's become a lot of tougher. But that's probably a reaction to the wide-spread abuse of the visa for so long- phantom schools and classrooms and the like.

So I guess... weighing it up, it's about the same.

If you're doing it in Chiang Mai, I believe you are merely extending your permission to stay based on retirement?

no, never

I have no intention or desire to live here full time but i am a frequent visitor coming 3 or 4 times a year for periods of one to three months. The current visa rules are quite satisfactory and i have never had a problem.

However, the regular reinterpretation and inconsistant application of the rules makes me wary and nervous each time I come back.

The rules have always been applied inconsistently, but the general trend was flat for many years. I think a certain amount of negative public opinion and resentment has been building since '97, when the Thais wouldn't face the fact that their own economic policy (or lack thereof) precipitated the currency crash. Having to accept IMF bailout, and some externally imposed restrictions was not popular, with people calling the IMF, "International Mother and Father", and culminating with Thaksin (" The UN is not my father"), and the rise of the jingoisticly named Thai Rak Thai party.

Since then, various governments have whipped up distrust of foreigners whenever their failures needed cover. Public opinion wavered accordingly, and so did enforcement of existing immigration law, as well as a few draconian adventures into new ones (remember 90 days in any 180 day period?). Still, the trend was only slightly toward tightening, and Immigration pretty much followed public sentiment, some better and some worse, but on average, manageable.

At this point, it bears mentioning that, very often, a few baht was needed to get things done at Immigration. In Nong Khai, for instance, one of the IOs had cookies for sale, and a few baht got you something to munch on, and your passport stamped...

As petty corruption came under scrutiny, especially after the 2006 coup, Immigration officers came under a lot of pressure, and foreigners numbers were increasing. It was no longer as easy to make extra cash by extorting visa applicants. This was a huge source of resentment, and contributes to the unpleasantness and lack of service that many experience. The agents, with their stacks of passports, and, more importantly, their brown envelopes, are still welcomed, and treated well...

So, the trend of public opinion, and that of Immigration, which follows it, has been gradually, but steadily becoming anti-foreigner. The trend, since the junta took power, however, is more like the end of a hockey stick.

The petulance at the actions against human trafficking, air worthiness, etc., is demonstrable, and the public is palpably resentful at being subjected to what they see as outside interference. The refusal of the NASA monitoring station, the lagging on Cobra Gold and the shift toward China are all related to this trend. It's not surprising, therefore, that petty bureaucrats feel justified in making things harder for Western residents. The placing of the onus for getting a TM30 done, which is the landlord's responsibility, on the applicant, is just one example.

The enforcement of these laws was always reserved for bad actors, and used effectively to get rid of them, if need be. Now, someone who wants to use Thailand as a base to explore SEA has to live in fear that he will be refused entry upon encountering an IO who had a bad day. In the past, even a bad IO wouldn't say much more than, "Isn't it about time you went home?" And maybe hint around for a purple note...

All this is not to say that foreigners don't cause many of their own problems. The internet has made it possible for the most clueless to make their way to Thailand, and behave accordingly. And turning Chiang Mai into a giant geriatric intensive care unit has not gone unnoticed. No offense to the many lovely retirees there, of course.

Good day.

Hear, hear!

sawadee1947

Would you be kind enough to scan and post one of these "Visas" you obtain from CM immigration?

Many (most) people who follow the same process as you describe only receive an "extension of stay" ....................

He is not receiving a visa mainly because he is not. He is obtaining a 12 month extension. Permission of stay.

• Like 1

Now, someone who wants to use Thailand as a base to explore SEA has to live in fear that he will be refused entry upon encountering an IO who had a bad day. In the past, even a bad IO wouldn't say much more than, "Isn't it about time you went home?" And maybe hint around for a purple note...

But the reality is that there is now a METV that guarantees people an many trips into Thailand over a 6-9 month period as they wish to do which replaced the DETV, which only allowed two entries .

People from G7 Countries now get 30 days on a VES, rather than the previous 15 days .

And Thai immigration can only refuse a person entry into Thailand , if they have legitimate legal grounds to do so, which must be stated .

Any Country that you visit, theres a possibility that you may be refused entry Thailand is no different to anywhere else .

Your claim that travelers "live in fear" of being refused entry into Thailand is just plain nonsense

I'll leave it to you to figure out how the METV is of little to no use to people staying in Thailand, which is, after all, the subject of this poll. It's patently obvious to everyone else.

As far as people being refused entry over too many visa exempt stamps, you have but to read this forum to see.

Since you appear to have some kind of issue with my posts, and don't have anything constructive to add, I won't be bothering with you going forward.

Go in peace.

7 years ago I posted my passport and some money to the Thai consulate in Birmingham (over age 50).

It came back 3 days later with a 1 year multi entry VISA ..... I stayed 15 months.

Now, despite being married, and with a Thai son, I have to turn up at CM Immigration at 4am, fill out pages of forms and photo copies, be interviewed with my wife, maybe a home visit later. Wait one month for confirmation of my 1 year extension.

Definitely more difficult.

I agree. My biggest beef is quote The agents, with their stacks of passports, and, more importantly, their brown envelopes, are still welcomed, and treated well unquote. You now have to be at CM immigration at 4 am as the above poster states. Its a whole day affair waiting and if the passports which signed by somebody important and for what reason escapes me except to inconvience us do not arrive back from the airport office in time well thats another trip back the next day and 500 bahts in taxi fare. First the money was approved for a new office then cancelled as it seems Bangkok has no money to spare for us Notherners. There is just to much Bangkok centralism here and the rest be da***d. They purposely let the online queue system fall apart rather than obviously expand it which gave some order and structure to the system and the 90 day online does not work for 90% of us. As many have switched to 90 day reporting by mail I hear rumors that they want to cancel that because they are overburdened which makes little sense. It seems one hell of a way to treat paying senior clients. Some obvious answers would be to jack up the visa extension rate to $2500 and build the new building. There is either some kind of collusion here or they just do not give a dam about a group of aging and elderly people which I feel really goes against Thai culture and their respect for elderly people. Forget asking embassies for help they are useless at best.

• Like 1

Now, someone who wants to use Thailand as a base to explore SEA has to live in fear that he will be refused entry upon encountering an IO who had a bad day. In the past, even a bad IO wouldn't say much more than, "Isn't it about time you went home?" And maybe hint around for a purple note...

But the reality is that there is now a METV that guarantees people an many trips into Thailand over a 6-9 month period as they wish to do which replaced the DETV, which only allowed two entries .

People from G7 Countries now get 30 days on a VES, rather than the previous 15 days .

And Thai immigration can only refuse a person entry into Thailand , if they have legitimate legal grounds to do so, which must be stated .

Any Country that you visit, theres a possibility that you may be refused entry Thailand is no different to anywhere else .

Your claim that travelers "live in fear" of being refused entry into Thailand is just plain nonsense

I'll leave it to you to figure out how the METV is of little to no use to people staying in Thailand, which is, after all, the subject of this poll. It's patently obvious to everyone else.

As far as people being refused entry over too many visa exempt stamps, you have but to read this forum to see.

Since you appear to have some kind of issue with my posts, and don't have anything constructive to add, I won't be bothering with you going forward.

Go in peace.

I was replying the the post about travelers wanting to stay in Thailand to explore SEA

• Like 1

sawadee1947

Would you be kind enough to scan and post one of these "Visas" you obtain from CM immigration?

Many (most) people who follow the same process as you describe only receive an "extension of stay" ....................

And, in CM, they wait for hours--that in itself is a hassle.

7 years ago I posted my passport and some money to the Thai consulate in Birmingham (over age 50).

It came back 3 days later with a 1 year multi entry VISA ..... I stayed 15 months.

Now, despite being married, and with a Thai son, I have to turn up at CM Immigration at 4am, fill out pages of forms and photo copies, be interviewed with my wife, maybe a home visit later. Wait one month for confirmation of my 1 year extension.

Definitely more difficult.

I agree. My biggest beef is quote The agents, with their stacks of passports, and, more importantly, their brown envelopes, are still welcomed, and treated well unquote. You now have to be at CM immigration at 4 am as the above poster states. Its a whole day affair waiting and if the passports which signed by somebody important and for what reason escapes me except to inconvience us do not arrive back from the airport office in time well thats another trip back the next day and 500 bahts in taxi fare. First the money was approved for a new office then cancelled as it seems Bangkok has no money to spare for us Notherners. There is just to much Bangkok centralism here and the rest be da***d. They purposely let the online queue system fall apart rather than obviously expand it which gave some order and structure to the system and the 90 day online does not work for 90% of us. As many have switched to 90 day reporting by mail I hear rumors that they want to cancel that because they are overburdened which makes little sense. It seems one hell of a way to treat paying senior clients. Some obvious answers would be to jack up the visa extension rate to $2500 and build the new building. There is either some kind of collusion here or they just do not give a dam about a group of aging and elderly people which I feel really goes against Thai culture and their respect for elderly people. Forget asking embassies for help they are useless at best.

The new Chang Mai immigration office opened recently in the Prominada shopping mail , I arrived there at 1 pm a few weeks ago and left about 1 30 with everything done