Gridlock !

PostmanPat

Well, its finally happened, exactly what some of us outsiders living here have been predicting for a few years! Unfortunately had to go into the City this lunchtime for a few errands, only to find that seemingly the whole of the moat, both sides, was nose to tail at best, and totally gridlocked in many places...and that includes the approach roads that lead onto the moat at various points. Fortunately, because I have a small car, and know a few shortcuts, managed to escape relatively easily, but have made note to self....dont go into the moat area daytime at weekends in future!

It has long been predicted that if "the city fathers" continue to keep their collective heads buried in the sand, which of course they have, and failed to address traffic congestion, gridlock at certain times would be the inevitable consequence.

These days, when you visit many similar sized historical towns in the UK, for example, York, Chester, Stratford-Upon-Avon, you are severely restricted as to where you can drive to the point where most people use the park and ride facilities which have been put in place at all the main entry points to these towns.

Yes, I know that we re in Thailand not England, and cant expect the same type of thinking simultaneously, but what worries me here as a ten year resident is that traffic regulation is or seems to be totally ignored, apart from a few flyovers and underpasses on the outskirts, and as each year passes by the situation just gets worse. Is there any obvious answer ( and please dont anyone say if you dont like it leave!) because these issues are raised by someone ( me) who hopes to be here for the rest of my life and cares about the deteriorating traffic environment we face every day.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with terminator...Saturday is a horrible day to shop or do a lot of stuff. The weekend traffic has been pretty horrible for two months. But, in general....it's great to avoid the weekend warriors, when you have all week to enjoy the bars/restaurants, and take care of your business. I'm convinced that living in the middle of the traffic jam is a lot better than living on the edge of it. Walking is faster than driving right now, around CMU, and apparently the moat, too....A car is often about the fourth or fifth best way to get around BKK.

I think it's mostly fine, with the exception of Nimman.

And the flyovers and tunnels and ring roads are a good thing; most bigger businesses, schools, etc moved out there.

BTW there traffic view on Google maps also helps a lot when wondering about known trouble spots like the queue before the Aom Muang / Pa Daed underpass.

Anyway, don't let this stop anyone from having a go; carry on. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

and when it's that bad a taxi-car is better than your own, because parking it will be a beach.

Good point.

Also people are getting older and less willing to walk. Need to park as close as possible to their destination.

It might be interestingly shocking to see how many expats base their dining decision on close parking availability.

Its almost every weekend , those are the day's i not go shopping at Tesoc and Big C or go to town during day time.

Will all be over soon when the mono rail comes ;biggrin.png

Don't hold your breath. Money wise the monorail is outgoing and that does not wash. Incoming OK. There are a lot of expats and tourists living here and more everyday coming in but services like immigration stand still or recede. Any mono rail system is a pipe dream at best. It has been talked to death over the years. Verbal food for the masses.

So those long queues I was sitting in at around 1.30pm at the Ram Hospital corner, then coming back past Suthep Road, and then the whole area going towards Airport Plaza, including the corner where the public park is were all none existent figments of my imagination Winnie?

Still hung over from last night or hallucinating on magic mushrooms again Winnie? Sometimes your posts are so sensible....but not today !!!!!

Edited by PostmanPat

Today the road at 3pm was completely choked from big C all the way to the Robinsons. 6,8,10,12km.

Glad i was on a bike but still a struggle avoiding scratching bobbing and weaving.

I bought a car last week. In that week i have had the front end almost removed;i have sounded the horn for 20 seconds continuous to warn some idiot that he will hit me if he continues. I have at a major junction literally got out of the car and told a silver van drive to back out of my way.

Most drivers are blind have noforward thinking and dont give a stih if they scratch a car.

I was always against a car now it will be parked up between 11am and 8pm.....biggest waste of money i can think of here.

I can well understand red songthaews increasing their rates because they cannot make any money in a jam

The 118 coming into CM was blocked solid around 12.30.

Nimman had the most amazing view, 4 modern Ferrari sports cars, park up on the roadside.

john

Was there yesterday 5:30pm, collecting my misses from the bus station.

Total nightmare, total gridlock from the middle ring to Central Festival lights.

About 45 minutes to get through the two sets of lights.

And the flyovers and tunnels and ring roads are a good thing; most bigger businesses, schools, etc moved out there.

BTW there traffic view on Google maps also helps a lot when wondering about known trouble spots like the queue before the Aom Muang / Pa Daed underpass.

Anyway, don't let this stop anyone from having a go; carry on. smile.png

This has happened twice in the last month. Last time I was at Miguel's eating lunch. I had ridden my bike in from Mae Rim. The people I was eating with also live in Mae Rim, but had driven in. Afterwards, we were going to rendezvous at my house so I could loan them some stuff. I road my bicycle back through Kamtiang Market, along the river, in almost the most convoluted, traffic-free route I know. And beat them.

and when it's that bad a taxi-car is better than your own, because parking it will be a beach.

I got rid of my car a few months back for various reasons, and for the first time in many months, had to do a trip to Home Pro. Went down in a tuk-tuk, but didn't want to breathe the aroma of a zillion cars, so after loading up my trolley, asked the desk to please order me a taxi. It took over an hour for the taxi to get through the traffic and back into the city.

Saturdays will be a 'stay at home' for me in future!

I only have a motorbike and still avoid driving through the town at all costs. Being retired I can please myself which days I go out. Mostly go shopping during the weekdays, never on weekends.

Don`t expect the situation to get any better, it`s not going to happen so we have to use alternative routes accordingly.

Total nightmare, total gridlock from the middle ring to Central Festival lights.

It's like that from Central Festival to over the river every day, all three bridges and the roads running parallel to the river on both sides from about 3.30 until 6ish; mornings around 8 until 9.30ish too. It's actually quicker to walk to Taipae Gate from the river than to drive during those times, although motorbike is a bit better.

I got rid of my car a few months back for various reasons, and for the first time in many months, had to do a trip to Home Pro. Went down in a tuk-tuk, but didn't want to breathe the aroma of a zillion cars, so after loading up my trolley, asked the desk to please order me a taxi. It took over an hour for the taxi to get through the traffic and back into the city.

Saturdays will be a 'stay at home' for me in future!

you could have "yellowed" for 20 thb from the moat to HomePro, and taken the TT back....Any idea what the delivery fees are like from HP? I believe they told me they would deliver a toilet for free, even if it was a 1700 thb special. I've taken a 2 meter ladder on yellow, and seen just about everything on there including live animals, but yeah, Saturday is crazy on HD Road....The volume of traffic seems to be up 200%+ over when I last lived out there in 2008.

The 118 coming into CM was blocked solid around 12.30.

Nimman had the most amazing view, 4 modern Ferrari sports cars, park up on the roadside.

john

Er - don't think you collected your missus on a bicycle.

It depends on timing - 8-9 am and 4 - 5 pm are the worst, with all the schoolkids being dropped off and picked up. Other times a car is reasonable.

From Nong Hoi, I tend to loop around on the ring roads by car. Anywhere near the moat, it will be a scooter every time.

Saturday and Sunday, I try to stay away from the malls and tourist spots like Doi Suthep and San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Shambolic.

What cretin designed or approved the parking around the Maya mall? A chimpanzee could have done a better job.

Edited by bazza40

So those long queues I was sitting in at around 1.30pm at the Ram Hospital corner, then coming back past Suthep Road, and then the whole area going towards Airport Plaza, including the corner where the public park is were all none existent figments of my imagination Winnie?

Still hung over from last night or hallucinating on magic mushrooms again Winnie? Sometimes your posts are so sensible....but not today !!!!!

Well, Ram corner is where Huay Kaew traffic goes up to Nimman/CMU, Suthep is another one in that general direction. (Also Canal Road in town). I didn't specifically define "Nimman" but on a bad day all the roads leading up there also suck, that's true.

I'm not saying I don't on occasion get stuck in it, but overall I can get anywhere I want to go without worrying about traffic too much.

Here's what I'm waiting for: "I hate motorcycles and it's all their fault!!!"

As soon as I hit Chiang Mai in my car, I switch over to my motor cycle and don't look back. What idiot would purposesly ride a car in downtown Chiang Mai.

Well, the only ones who understand that is fellow MC riders. Car drivers? Enjoy you traffic jams.