CDC: Interim charter won't replace permanent charter

rooster59

CDC: Interim charter won't replace permanent charter

Thammarat Thadaphrom

BANGKOK, 30 January 2016 (NNT) - The chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC), says the 2014 interim constitution won't replace the proposed permanent charter even if the latter is rejected by the general public.

CDC chairman Meechai Ruchuphan said the CDC did not propose that the provisional constitution be used instead of the permanent one, if the permanent charter fails to pass the planned public referendum.

He said the interim charter will only stay in effect until a new charter is promulgated.

Speaking about a revision of the interim constitution, he said only the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has the power to amend it, so that it is lawful for a public referendum to take place.

The chairman also confirmed that the current government will be in office until a new administration is elected.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-30 footer_n.gif

I love these conflicting statements. A couple of days ago an election would go on regardless of if the charter was passed or not. Now the current government will stay in office until a new administration has been elected, and elections are being pushed back again... this before the charter has even gone to vote.

While Meechai is NCPO's handmaiden, he is not their spokesman.

The CDC doesn't have to propose that the provisional constitution be used instead of the permanent one. As Meechai recognizes, the NCPO is more than capable of adjusting its own Provisional Charter to whatever circumstances it deems necessary. and it doesn't need any consensus from the Thai electorate to do so.

It's very educational that Meechai reminds the Thai electorate that what the majority may want or not want is irrelevant to what the junta decides. I hope the Thai electorate understands Meechai's message. wai2.gif

The CDC doesn't have to propose that the provisional constitution be used instead of the permanent one. As Meechai recognizes, the NCPO is more than capable of adjusting its own Provisional Charter to whatever circumstances it deems necessary. and it doesn't need any consensus from the Thai electorate to do so.

It's very educational that Meechai reminds the Thai electorate that what the majority may want or not want is irrelevant to what the junta decides. I hope the Thai electorate understands Meechai's message. wai2.gif

It is educational that k. Meechai states that the provisional constitution stays in place UNTILL a new constitution has been accepted.

In the mean time the NCPO may adjust the Interim Charter. They did that at least once, to make the lifting of Martial Law more 'smooth'.

It is educational that k. Meechai states that the provisional constitution stays in place UNTILL a new constitution has been accepted.

In the mean time the NCPO may adjust the Interim Charter. They did that at least once, to make the lifting of Martial Law more 'smooth'.

No, he didn't say that. He said, "the interim charter will only stay in effect until a new charter is promulgated."

There is a world of difference between "accepted" and "promulgated".

I agree with Srikcir on this one. Meechai is being coy. Essentially he is saying...don't look to the CDC if the charter is rejected; look to the NCPO; they have the tools (pun intended).

No, he didn't say that. He said, "the interim charter will only stay in effect until a new charter is promulgated."

I agree with Srikcir on this one. Meechai is being coy. Essentially he is saying...don't look to the CDC if the charter is rejected; look to the NCPO; they have the tools (pun intended).

Now you're being coy.

The new charter will go through a referendum and after it is accepted it will be promulgated, made into law. If it's not accepted we'll have to stick with the Interim Charter for the time being.

As I've said many times, the CDC should have started with the 2007 constitution as it had been in effect and all attempts at it clearly showed contentious points.

Now you're being coy.

The new charter will go through a referendum and after it is accepted it will be promulgated, made into law. If it's not accepted we'll have to stick with the Interim Charter for the time being.

As I've said many times, the CDC should have started with the 2007 constitution as it had been in effect and all attempts at it clearly showed contentious points.

Nope.

He didn't say "the draft charter". He said "a new charter".

Logically, this is the only interpretation he could make, anyway. If there is no new charter, the interim charter will be in effect. Once there is "a new charter" the interim charter will be retired. The $64,000 question is how that new charter is created and promulgated. We shall see what unfolds, but the PM has stated at least twice (as reported by the fine Thai press) that he intends for there to be an election even if the draft charter is rejected. So the obvious question is, "Under what charter will this elected government do business?" Meechai is giving you the clues; it will not be the interim charter substituting for the proposed draft charter. It will be something else. Both Meechai and the PM are being coy; the PM to the extent that he said essentially, "I have a plan, but I am not telling you what it is."

Hey, if the draft charter passes referendum, maybe the contingency plan will die a graceful death as it should. Or maybe there is another contingency plan. Given Thai political history, that's not even paranoid. biggrin.png

Now you're being coy.

Nope.

He didn't say "the draft charter". He said "a new charter".

Logically, this is the only interpretation he could make, anyway. If there is no new charter, the interim charter will be in effect. Once there is "a new charter" the interim charter will be retired. The $64,000 question is how that new charter is created and promulgated. We shall see what unfolds, but the PM has stated at least twice (as reported by the fine Thai press) that he intends for there to be an election even if the draft charter is rejected. So the obvious question is, "Under what charter will this elected government do business?" Meechai is giving you the clues; it will not be the interim charter substituting for the proposed draft charter. It will be something else. Both Meechai and the PM are being coy; the PM to the extent that he said essentially, "I have a plan, but I am not telling you what it is."

Hey, if the draft charter passes referendum, maybe the contingency plan will die a graceful death as it should. Or maybe there is another contingency plan. Given Thai political history, that's not even paranoid. biggrin.png

Still being coy.

The OP has

"The chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC), says the 2014 interim constitution won't replace the proposed permanent charter even if the latter is rejected by the general public.

CDC chairman Meechai Ruchuphan said the CDC did not propose that the provisional constitution be used instead of the permanent one, if the permanent charter fails to pass the planned public referendum."

Meechai didn't say what you'd like to see between the lines. That's your interpretation only, in line with your opinion.