This is why you have to avoid travelling by bus in Thailand!

Asiantravel

I would bet 30,000 baht that many/ most? of these bus drivers do not have any training to drive a bus or even a special license to drive a commercial bus. (Or is the requirement to be a friend of a friend and to be ting-tong?) With Pattaya being flooded the next two weeks with Chinese (Chinese New Year) you can be there is a need for more inexperienced bus drivers. Why is Thailand so backwards on safety? Do they ever display common sense when it comes to enforcing laws or rules written on the books?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bus drivers seem to be the worst drivers as well. I ride a bicycle to get around Jomtien Beach and Pattaya. I have been cut off, run off the road and side swiped by bus drivers. They seem to think they can do what they want because they are driving the largest vehicle. I'd like 5 minutes alone with the ones that have that attitude!

Looking at the pictures I suspect that the driver just took that corner too sharply and didnt go wide enough to clear the concrete bollards on his right. Easy to do if you are distracted by something else or cant see the bollards too clearly.

It's unlikely to be brake failure.

The bus is not allowed to enter from the direction he came. Only cars coming from the opposite direction can take that entrance.

Are you sure ? I have never seen a no right turn at that junction, and that's assuming he was turning right and not coming straight across from Bali Hai.

And there are loads of cars that do turn right there coming down the hill.

Many years ago there used to be a "no right turn" sign on that corner which everyone ignored (except enthusiastic police looking for Farang "tips"), but the whole intersection has changed since they changed the Thappraya Road direction to one-way at its 3rd Road intersection, so this intersection had a huge increase in traffic volume. They'll probably now cut away the damaged barrier that should have been cut out years ago, to give the corner a 90 degree angle.

The statistics are available if you hunt them down:-

Mode of transport involved in road accidents in Thailand

Modes of Transport - Years 2000 2001 2002

Pedestrian 4,469 4,135 4,592

Motorcycle 37,498 41,215 53,732

Motor tricycle 1,838 1,852 1,825

Passenger Car 37,440 38,437 44,019

Pick Up 21,372 22,785 26,116

Van 2,477 2,975 3,291

Heavy Bus 3,533 3,618 3,823

Medium Truck 2,624 2,696 3,220

Heavy Truck and Semi Trailer 3,780 3,668 4,523

Other 3,926 4,051 1,912

Total 118,957 125,432 147,053

This paper presents an overview of traffic accident situations in Thailand. It highlights the transformation of road accident problems in Thailand, from the past to present, with the focus on the situation of the most accident prone mode of transport in the country, motorcycle accidents. Relating problems and contributing causes of motorcycle accidents are also detailed in this paper. Subsequently, this paper recommends several measures to curb the alarming increases in motorcycle accidents.

http://www.iatss.or.jp/common/pdf/en/publication/iatss-research/29-1-11.pdf

AccidentsVehicleType2012.gif

When looking at the vehicles involved in traffic accidents in Thailand, the figure below indicates that the majority of accidents involve motorcycles, personal cars, pickups, and taxis, in that order. However a substantial number of trucks and buses are also involved, while pedestrians and bicyclists are likely more amongst the victims of accidents, rather than the perpetrators of damage of death.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

For these numbers to be of any use in our comparison between safety of driving a car vs taking the bus, we'd need to know how many trips were undertaken and the total distance traveled by both modes of transportation. i.e. If you took a bus 100k times, or a car 100k times, which would result in a lower incidence of fatal accidents.

The figures above also give no idea of the safety of the bus vs car as we have no idea about the total number of people that were transported by either mode over a year.

Edited by tropo

I think that is the Chonburi to Pattaya bus, I used to travel on it regularly until the minivans reduced the frequency. They used to go along the main road, down to Jomtien and then back. probably been a change in route with the congestion. Relatively small concern, buses a bit tatty and prone to breakdown, had to change bus several times. Doubt if they had any passengers at that point.

For these numbers to be of any use in our comparison between safety of driving a car vs taking the bus, we'd need to know how many trips were undertaken and the total distance traveled by both modes of transportation. i.e. If you took a bus 100k times, or a car 100k times, which would result in a lower incidence of fatal accidents.

The figures above also give no idea of the safety of the bus vs car as we have no idea about the total number of people that were transported by either mode over a year.

Did you look at the attached articles?

There is also German research on Thai U-turns http://www.ictct.org/wp-content/uploads/Meel2.pdf

Also this paper covers the bus crash situation in Thailand from 2005 http://www.easts.info/on-line/journal_06/3617.pdf

Bus accident is a major public concern in Thailand as they often involve the lives of innocent victims. This paper describes characteristics and causes of bus crashes in Thailand. During the past 4 years (1997-2000), 3,000 bus accidents occurred on highways resulting in about 1,500 deaths. More than 50% of these crashes were single bus accidents with overturning being the most common mode. The main contributing factor was errant bus drivers (82.3%) with over speeding (71.9%) being the number 1 cause. Three cases of fatal bus crashes were investigated. The results showed that the 3 contributing elements: drivers’ errors, vehicle integrity and defects, and roadside hazards combined to lead to the crashes and their severe consequences. Based on the findings of the investigations, 3 remedial measures to prevent bus crashes and reduce their subsequent impacts were recommended: 1) control of drivers’ competency and behaviours 2) improving vehicle safety 3) safety management of roadside hazards.

If what you say about taking the corner too close,or for what other ridicilous excuse,top and bottom of it HE IS NOT FIT TO HAVE A LICENCE<SIMPLE AS.>

Who said he had a license whistling.gif

Would not a drivers also need additional licences/tests for Heavy Goods & Public Service Vehicle?

Edited by Basil B

The statistics are available if you hunt them down:-

Mode of transport involved in road accidents in Thailand

Modes of Transport - Years 2000 2001 2002

Pedestrian 4,469 4,135 4,592

Motorcycle 37,498 41,215 53,732

Motor tricycle 1,838 1,852 1,825

Passenger Car 37,440 38,437 44,019

Pick Up 21,372 22,785 26,116

Van 2,477 2,975 3,291

Heavy Bus 3,533 3,618 3,823

Medium Truck 2,624 2,696 3,220

Heavy Truck and Semi Trailer 3,780 3,668 4,523

Other 3,926 4,051 1,912

Total 118,957 125,432 147,053

This paper presents an overview of traffic accident situations in Thailand. It highlights the transformation of road accident problems in Thailand, from the past to present, with the focus on the situation of the most accident prone mode of transport in the country, motorcycle accidents. Relating problems and contributing causes of motorcycle accidents are also detailed in this paper. Subsequently, this paper recommends several measures to curb the alarming increases in motorcycle accidents.

AccidentsVehicleType2012.gif

When looking at the vehicles involved in traffic accidents in Thailand, the figure below indicates that the majority of accidents involve motorcycles, personal cars, pickups, and taxis, in that order. However a substantial number of trucks and buses are also involved, while pedestrians and bicyclists are likely more amongst the victims of accidents, rather than the perpetrators of damage of death.

Are you saying that reported RTA's have dropped over 60% in ten years (2002 - 2012) ??? when in 2002 the trend was markedly upwards???

would help if you researched from the same sources, obviously there is a difference in how the numbers a collated or driving standards in Thailand have remarkable improved, if so then I am a Dutch Man... gigglem.gif

Edited by Basil B

Are you saying that reported RTA's have dropped over 60% in ten years (2002 - 2012) ??? when in 2002 the trend was markedly upwards???

would help if you researched from the same sources, obviously there is a difference in how the numbers a collated or driving standards in Thailand have remarkable improved, if so then I am a Dutch Man... gigglem.gif

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Yep I know.

The WHO world data that is used a lot is full of estimates and missing data. It all depends on who is counting and what is being exactly counted as well.

But much of the study work has been independently done.

There have been some statistic changers as well in that time however. 72% of fatalities in Thailand are motorcycle riders, but if you compare Thailand to surrounding countries it is the one with the least motorcycles and many more cars. But Asian countries in general have ten times the number of motorcycles compared to most of the rest of the world.

But until something is done to address the poor driver training standards nothing will change. If you have never been taught to drive a coach or a lorry then the only way to learn is by trial and error.

Looks like the OP Coach Driver has just hit a big learning curve!

Looking at the pictures I suspect that the driver just took that corner too sharply and didnt go wide enough to clear the concrete bollards on his right. Easy to do if you are distracted by something else or cant see the bollards too clearly.

The bus is not allowed to enter from the direction he came. Only cars coming from the opposite direction can take that entrance.

Are you sure ? I have never seen a no right turn at that junction, and that's assuming he was turning right and not coming straight across from Bali Hai.

And there are loads of cars that do turn right there coming down the hill.

Many years ago there used to be a "no right turn" sign on that corner which everyone ignored (except enthusiastic police looking for Farang "tips"), but the whole intersection has changed since they changed the Thappraya Road direction to one-way at its 3rd Road intersection, so this intersection had a huge increase in traffic volume. They'll probably now cut away the damaged barrier that should have been cut out years ago, to give the corner a 90 degree angle.

All is ok now, as witches hats have been erected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is not a shred of evidence that it could not have been caused by brake failure.

The bus drivers are a menace at the moment in Pattaya. Speeding combined with poor driving. God bless all on the roads with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you're right they appear to play chicken with people crossing beach road with zero attempt to slow down

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

if that was the case then why are the front wheels in that position? Why would the driver have bothered to straighten the front wheels after coming to a grinding halt?

The front wheels are in that position because the bus has just been in an accident. The direction of the front wheels , after an accident is irrelevant. A multitude of things could have caused the wheels, or steering wheel, to change direction. There is nothing in the report that gives any indication of what caused the accident. But, of course, TV members are all physic.

There is also German research on Thai U-turns http://www.ictct.org/wp-content/uploads/Meel2.pdf

Also this paper covers the bus crash situation in Thailand from 2005 http://www.easts.info/on-line/journal_06/3617.pdf

Bus accident is a major public concern in Thailand as they often involve the lives of innocent victims. This paper describes characteristics and causes of bus crashes in Thailand. During the past 4 years (1997-2000), 3,000 bus accidents occurred on highways resulting in about 1,500 deaths. More than 50% of these crashes were single bus accidents with overturning being the most common mode. The main contributing factor was errant bus drivers (82.3%) with over speeding (71.9%) being the number 1 cause. Three cases of fatal bus crashes were investigated. The results showed that the 3 contributing elements: drivers’ errors, vehicle integrity and defects, and roadside hazards combined to lead to the crashes and their severe consequences. Based on the findings of the investigations, 3 remedial measures to prevent bus crashes and reduce their subsequent impacts were recommended: 1) control of drivers’ competency and behaviours 2) improving vehicle safety 3) safety management of roadside hazards.

No, I didn't read all your attached articles.

My question is basic. If I take a trip on a bus, or take the same trip in a car (a safe car driven by a good expat driver), in Thailand, which is statistically safer.

I doubt any articles will answer that.

My guess is the bus.

Sure, if the bus smashes, you're dealing with more casualties. This skews the results.

No, I didn't read all your attached articles.

My question is basic. If I take a trip on a bus, or take the same trip in a car (a safe car driven by a good expat driver), in Thailand, which is statistically safer.

I doubt any articles will answer that.

My guess is the bus.

Sure, if the bus smashes, you're dealing with more casualties. This skews the results.

Dont confuse the issue with facts, this is TV.

If you do not drive yourself and could choose between a car, a minivan or a bus , I'll take the bus any day .

It just gives you a better chance to survive an accident , that's all.

If you do not drive yourself and could choose between a car, a minivan or a bus , I'll take the bus any day .

Interesting that you think buses are safer. An untrained driver, no safety belt and often poor coach building and maintenance.

Also for the amount of coaches compared to other vehicle types suggests Coach and minibus accidents are disproportionately high in Thailand.

With the amount of reported accidents that involve buses it is wrong to assume they are safer than other vehicle types.

Total registered vehicles for 2012 32 476 977

Cars and 4-wheeled light vehicles 11 829 221

Motorised 2- and 3-wheelers 19 169 418

Heavy trucks 901 014

Buses 137 609

Other 439 715

( Source - http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2015/Country_profiles_combined.pdf?ua=1 )

Currently if we go by the daily road accident reports the safest vehicle type is the big bike! There is usually at least one coach accident every day and always a load of small bike accidents every day. Then next is the car's, lorries and pick ups. Only ever see a big bike accident every few days.

No I am not suggesting for everyone to go and buy a big bike, I know there are a lot fewer of them on the road as well. It's just an observation from the reports.

But having witnessed the bus driving I would prefer to be self reliant on my transport preferences when possible.

Interesting that you think buses are safer. An untrained driver, no safety belt and often poor coach building and maintenance.

Also for the amount of coaches compared to other vehicle types suggests Coach and minibus accidents are disproportionately high in Thailand.

With the amount of reported accidents that involve buses it is wrong to assume they are safer than other vehicle types.

Heavy trucks 901 014

Buses 137 609

Other 439 715

( Source - http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2015/Country_profiles_combined.pdf?ua=1 )

Currently if we go by the daily road accident reports the safest vehicle type is the big bike! There is usually at least one coach accident every day and always a load of small bike accidents every day. Then next is the car's, lorries and pick ups. Only ever see a big bike accident every few days.

No I am not suggesting for everyone to go and buy a big bike, I know there are a lot fewer of them on the road as well. It's just an observation from the reports.

But having witnessed the bus driving I would prefer to be self reliant on my transport preferences when possible.

You're finding a lot of stats, but none answer the basic question: If I step into a bus, or my own private car, for any given route, which mode gives me the greatest chance of reaching my destination unharmed? It's a bit more complicated because buses travel fixed routes, whereas cars can go everywhere.

To answer this question, you'd have to know exactly how many people/miles (or kilometers) are travelled by bus and private car in Thailand every year and then come up with the percentage of casualties in both modes of transportation, per person, not per vehicle, as that varies a lot from car to car and bus to bus.

These figures will never be available as no one would have a clue how many accumulated miles cars or buses travel every year in Thailand.

We can only guess. We can also choose the best bus companies to travel with as there are often options available.

You're finding a lot of stats, but none answer the basic question: If I step into a bus, or my own private car, for any given route, which mode gives me the greatest chance of reaching my destination unharmed? It's a bit more complicated because buses travel fixed routes, whereas cars can go everywhere.

To answer this question, you'd have to know exactly how many people/miles (or kilometers) are travelled by bus and private car in Thailand every year and then come up with the percentage of casualties in both modes of transportation, per person, not per vehicle, as that varies a lot from car to car and bus to bus.

These figures will never be available as no one would have a clue how many accumulated miles cars or buses travel every year in Thailand.

We can only guess. We can also choose the best bus companies to travel with as there are often options available.

Yes I know :-) Lies, damn lies and statistics. If anything I am posting them to make a point.

Your idea for collecting data is great. Only that does not work either as it all depends on the individual and how far they need to go to get a bus?

Also where do they catch the bus? Pedestrians are the most vulnerable of all road users. Least on your own bike or in a car you are using it from door to door. Also many people do not feel safe to travel by bus for other reasons.

Then do we include the pollution caused by various vehicle types and how that leads to deaths.

At least in the UK I know the bus driver has passed a specific vehicle related test that requires a comprehensive training course to get to the required level to pass. I am not very good at trusting my life to anybody, I would at least like to know they have had a reasonable amount of training and experience first.

March 2014, driving back home up Khao Yai on rd. 304.

Road closed for almost an hour.

They were just cleaning up the rubble of a bus accident (two or three days ago).

14 school children on an excursion to Pattaya died in this wreck.

Break failure downhill (what else).

On the roadside I saw a seat, shoes and clothing,

Makes you think.

post-99794-0-77273100-1454423924_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

They were just cleaning up the rubble of a bus accident (two or three days ago).

Makes you think.

140303104545.jpg

No, this does not make me think about taking a bus. I can also post horrifying photos of motorcycle accidents, that are no less shocking than this bus pic. But why? Everybody already knows accidents happen, we just hope it won't happen to us, and probably won't. Passenger planes fall out of the sky, yet we all fly.

Edit:

Why did you post this pic, if I may ask? You mentioned you saw dead kids shoes and clothing, maybe you can post pics of their little shoes, just in case your description didn't upset someone?

What is the point of this thread?

Are we supposed to stop riding buses? If not, then what is the point? Anybody?

If this is just general warning, maybe I'll start a pointless thread about a plane crash, cos you know, it can happen to any of us! I will post several nightmare enducing photos of not just victims shues and clothing, Im gonna post pic of body parts! I guarantee you wont sleep well! Is there a point - no! I just decided to rise awarness about hazards of air travel!

Edited by whitemouse

The mini-buses and vans seem out of control and are best avoided, but the overnight tour buses that connect cities like Khon Kaen and Bangkok cost about 400 baht for the six-hour trip and feature Wi-Fi, electric outlets for your laptop, deep-reclining seats, and a decent food service. These are far superior to the overcrowded no leg-room Greyhounds of America.

Yeah. They are a very good value and can save you a night in a hotel also.

Makes you think.

140303104545.jpg

No, this does not make me think about taking a bus. I can also post horrifying photos of motorcycle accidents, that are no less shocking than this bus pic. But why? Everybody already knows accidents happen, we just hope it won't happen to us, and probably won't. Passenger planes fall out of the sky, yet we all fly.

Edit:

Why did you post this pic, if I may ask? You mentioned you saw dead kids shoes and clothing, maybe you can post pics of their little shoes, just in case your description didn't upset someone?

What is the point of this thread?

Are we supposed to stop riding buses? If not, then what is the point? Anybody?

If this is just general warning, maybe I'll start a pointless thread about a plane crash, cos you know, it can happen to any of us! I will post several nightmare enducing photos of not just victims shues and clothing, Im gonna post pic of body parts! I guarantee you wont sleep well! Is there a point - no! I just decided to rise awarness about hazards of air travel!

Interesting that you consider the OP post shocking. Best not follow the emergency volunteer sites on facebook then as I get a daily feed of decapitated and squashed bodies to mull over. From the current 40 or so accidents per day I see, the amount of casualties tends to be shared evenly between buses/Coaches/Minibuses and the powered two and three wheeler riders. Yes there are more small bike crashes but the coach and bus accidents by default involve more casualties.

Yes of course there will be accidents and due to the nature of motorcycling, along with cyclists and pedestrians, being vulnerable road users, accidents often will lead to increased injuries compared to if you are surrounded by steel box. However depending on the situation being loose inside a large steel box can be just as damaging as being hit by one.

What is the point of this thread? Well for one it discusses the topic with the hope that by sharing information some might be able to go away a little wiser about the situation. If not that then this is a Thailand Ex-pat forum, what is it's point?

When I first started considering travelling in Thailand I did some research, I knew that my plane from the UK would dump me in Bangkok and I wanted to get to Koh Samui and Khao Sok National Park. I read lots of threads like this one so decided to do my best to avoid coach travel. I am glad I did as the times when I had no choice proved to me why they are so dangerous.

It is interesting you mention aviation. Many road accidents in, but not just in Thailand are often attributed to 'user error'. The old ways of looking for fault meant that the easiest answer was to blame the person at the controls because they had obviously made a mistake. Problem is you cannot just keep blaming planes falling out of the skies on human error as every big crash is in international headline. So the aviation industry had to move on from the blame game and find new answers. Yes of course accidents will still happen, but rather than looking to find blame we can instead look at working out how to avoid the same errors happening again. "we just hope it won't happen to us," Is to some of us at least simply not good enough and we will always be looking for ways to continue doing what we do in as safe a way as is reasonably possible.

The mini-buses and vans seem out of control and are best avoided, but the overnight tour buses that connect cities like Khon Kaen and Bangkok cost about 400 baht for the six-hour trip and feature Wi-Fi, electric outlets for your laptop, deep-reclining seats, and a decent food service. These are far superior to the overcrowded no leg-room Greyhounds of America.

Yeah. They are a very good value and can save you a night in a hotel also.

We have used the Bangkok - Surat Thani night sleeper train a few times now for that very same reason.

I can recommend it, but I know Thai Trains do not have a perfect safety record either!

Heavy trucks 901 014

Buses 137 609

Other 439 715

I do not agree with you.
You can still survive a bus accident. In a front collision between a bus and a car, who do you think have a better chance to survive, the passengers in the car or the passengers in the bus ?
Fatal bus accidents are not that common compared with how many people die on their bikes and in cars/vans ,
So again . if I could choose between a mini van to Bangkok or a big bus , I'll choose the bus any day ,
Edited by balo

Yes I know :-) Lies, damn lies and statistics. If anything I am posting them to make a point.

Your idea for collecting data is great. Only that does not work either as it all depends on the individual and how far they need to go to get a bus?

Also where do they catch the bus? Pedestrians are the most vulnerable of all road users. Least on your own bike or in a car you are using it from door to door. Also many people do not feel safe to travel by bus for other reasons.

Then do we include the pollution caused by various vehicle types and how that leads to deaths.

At least in the UK I know the bus driver has passed a specific vehicle related test that requires a comprehensive training course to get to the required level to pass. I am not very good at trusting my life to anybody, I would at least like to know they have had a reasonable amount of training and experience first.

You have a good point there - about how one gets to the bus depot. I ride my motorcycle, which as you suggest, is probably the most dangerous part of my trip.

Seriously, anyone that concerned about death by car, bike or bus accident should stay in their home country (also reducing the risk of death by plane smile.png ) as they just don't have the chops to live in this far more dangerous part of the world - then all they have to worry about is death by degenerative diseases, but one thing is certain, they're all gonna die anyway. Stressing about it too much will likely bring it on faster.

Edited by tropo