Cost finally takes the Land Rover Defender off the road

Ah, memories. With the aluminium panels and massive steel chassis, the engine and gearbox was always going to give up before the body did. And the fold-down windscreen made it a great hunting vehicle.

My fondest memory is an Egyptian co-worker at Port Hedland back in the late sixties. Took the Land Rover out for a spin on the Goldsworthy road. Blew a tyre, managed to roll it 270 degrees - a considerable feat given its low centre of gravity. Got out of it with a grazed cheek.

A Scottish mining engineer was with me when the remains were towed back in. Turning to me, he said: " You know, I've always thought it was a mistake to give them cars when we've only just finished teaching them how to ride bicycles".

A fine story old chap, toodle pip.

Amusing is it not ? England had control of India and now India has control of most of England's car industry .

I am not sure about this is

England capital go in shadow. now its gray cardinal.

Besides moving young executives to the forefront, Mistry is also creating new teams. For instance, Ajit Krishnakumar, an investment banker at Rothschild India and son of Tata group veteran R.K. Krishnakumar, is being appointed to head a mergers and acquisitions team. Ajit Krishnakumar is in his late 30s.

MUMBAI: The $100-m five-year syndicated term loan transaction for Tata Sons has officially closed. The facility was arranged and fully underwritten by SBI, Crédit Agricole Indosuez, DBS Bank and Barclays Capital.

MUMBAI, April 18 India's Tata Sons plans to

raise at least 1 billion rupees through five-year bonds at 9.75

percent, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters on

Monday. The issue will be open during April 19-21, the source said. Barclays Capital is the sole arranger to the deal.

and many another..

Iam not sure its all be clean and in Tata No influence of the British capital.

to control the actual ownership - impact on the company in the current realities are not necessarily 51% just a few per cent of the shares in the company, own debt and loyal directors, who tied on the verge of such criminal acts of information or financial interest in other companies

where can see Rotshild , Barclays... Goldman Sachs...etcbiggrin.png

I have doubts...whistling.gifwink.png

I am not sure England do not conrol India..

cheesy.gif

Edited by seedy
font

Sad loss but had to happen.

Long ago in a former life I drove a Series3 Landy from London to Cape town.

Crossed the Sahara desert, before it was hardtop and across the jungles of central Africa.

Great vehicle for expeditions, everything was fixable all you needed was a good set of tools.

post-35075-0-77113000-1454242209_thumb.j

Great times.

I remember the celebrations in 1956 when the Oxford and Cambridge Far East Overland Expedition reached Singapore from UK in 2 Landies - it made the car's reputation.

Those days were before the Vietnam War and a-go-go bars, or else, they would never had reached Singapore...

I remember driving a 110 landrover in 1969, went to change down gears,gear stick came off in my hand.

Managed to stop, looked at the problem, spit pin at the bottom of the stick had broken.

My mate got a hammer knocked out the broken pin, put in a 4inch nail and we carried on with our journey.

What other vehicle could you fix like that???? NONE.

Fond memories of an Iconic vehicle.

The old VW Beetle perhaps.

If I had to choose I'd go for a Toyota every time. The landrover is a dinosaur.

Of course it's a dinosaur,but lasted for 70 years though. I wouldn't be surprised if some country like India will buy it out,lock stock and barrel?

Of course it's a dinosaur,but lasted for 70 years though. I wouldn't be surprised if some country like India will buy it out,lock stock and barrel?

Like Tata you mean?

Crossed the Sahara desert, before it was hardtop and across the jungles of central Africa.

Great vehicle for expeditions, everything was fixable all you needed was a good set of tools.

attachicon.gifNo.182.jpg

Great times.

Series 3..1971 to 1985.........

attachicon.gifNo.182.jpg

Great times.

Series 3..1971 to 1985.........

1973 - 1974

Seems like only yesterday

I wish whistling.gif

If they put it on a proper production line I am sure they could build it for a third of the cost

they currently incur. Whether this makes sense or not I have no idea. Maybe in India. coffee1.gif

The problem is the design of the defender predated production line automation, the easiest and cheapest solution is to do what Land Rover have done, end production of the old design and bring out a design that can be built by machines.

Land Rover is owned by Tata, an Indian company!

Funny that ,Brits send millions of GBP s to India as aid And they buy Brit factories with it. Weird isn't it

Funny that ,Brits send millions of GBP s to India as aid And they buy Brit factories with it. Weird isn't it

Yes it is wierd,India is a very rich country now,and doesn't need any foreign aid, but the clever politicians that have opened the floodgates of this present Migrant mess know best nothing either!

@ Ace of Pops

Yes it is wierd,India is a very rich country now,and doesn't need any foreign aid, but the clever politicians that have opened the floodgates of this present Migrant mess know best nothing either!

Just looked it up: India is at 10th richest country in the world,while the UK is at 6th richest!