best small bike for around town. need some advice

dirtycash

i was previously thinking of a larger bike like the kawasaki er6n 650cc but then decided against it for different reasons. so , a small bike for me and the gf for around town only. price is a factor so dont want to pay anything over 120k.

kawasaki z sl 250 cc price - 120000

yamaha 150cc mt price - ???????

yamaha 150cc mslaz price - 89000

demon 125 cc price - 54000

which one is best and why ? i love the look of all these small bikes.

also , i will put bike in my name so i need my eu licence ? and what would i expect to pay in insurance per year for such a small bike for theft cover etc.

Edited by dirtycash

Why not look at the Honda CBR 150. They're very reliable and should be in your budget. I've had one for 5+ years now. Very reliable. Maintenance cost is minimal with lots of places to fix and get parts in Thailand. More than enough power to get around town.

Seeing as you know how to ride a manual then definitely either Raider, Sonic, or CBR150. I chose these because they are one of the thinnest bikes available which is great for lanesplitting.

I ride the CBR150 old model, and oh god it is the fastest bike in Thailand in Bangkok rush hour traffic. That thing is thinner than my hips.

Seeing as you know how to ride a manual then definitely either Raider, Sonic, or CBR150. I chose these because they are one of the thinnest bikes available which is great for lanesplitting.

I ride the CBR150 old model, and oh god it is the fastest bike in Thailand in Bangkok rush hour traffic. That thing is thinner than my hips.

Yes, very true.

The new CBR 150 is not able to squeeze through where the old one was.

I notice the new daredevils in traffic seem to be opting for Yamaha's R-15.

Yes, very true.

The new CBR 150 is not able to squeeze through where the old one was.

I notice the new daredevils in traffic seem to be opting for Yamaha's R-15.

R-15 & MSlaz are alike except 'racer' vs 'necked' set-up, right?

With Ymax & Exciter, Ya mamma has four ​roi-ha-sip models.

& 150 is enough to zip right along.

Other 150cc [Jap] offers: CBR, Raider, PCX, D-Tracker.

Edited by papa al

Bought a Suzuki Van Van a couple of weeks ago and very happy with it as a town bike. Spent last weekend on a 650km trip round Loie. Great fun although I needed to work the gearbox on the hills. B100,000 new made in Japan.

Bought a Suzuki Van Van a couple of weeks ago and very happy with it as a town bike. Spent last weekend on a 650km trip round Loie. Great fun although I needed to work the gearbox on the hills. B100,000 new made in Japan.

Van Van = perfect bike for sentient martini-drinking canine.

Depending which town we are talking about?

For Pattaya I find our auto scooter perfect, a pcx, got a 40 lit top box fitted and can now so some serious shopping with it, hell the box even got a back rest pad for my wife.

I owned Waves before but all the gear changing down town is just a pain in the arse man.

The pcx is now about 3 years old and never let me down.

Depending which town we are talking about?

For Pattaya I find our auto scooter perfect, a pcx, got a 40 lit top box fitted and can now so some serious shopping with it, hell the box even got a back rest pad for my wife.

I owned Waves before but all the gear changing down town is just a pain in the arse man.

The pcx is now about 3 years old and never let me down.

I agree with Guzzi.

And I would add, for Bangkok riding, which I have a LOT of experience of, you might be better going shorter and thinner than the PCX, e.g. Click, etc.

Also, OP placed emphasis on manual bike. so I will stick with the Raider idea.

Back end of nowhere town, e.g Dong Luang, Mukdahan, Wave, Dream or other semi-automatic may be better and will always come out top in terms of value for money.

Edited by Briggsy

Did you buy the new 200 cc version?

Sendt fra min Z5 via Tapatalk

Did you buy the new 200 cc version?

No, 125.

There's an argument that the gear box (6 speed) is better on the 125 and as the tank's the same, you're going to be stopping more often.

I bought it as a town bike but it's really comfortable on longer runs and the single rear shock/fat tyres soak up the holes.

Tops out at around 110 kph but at least you get to appreciate the scenery.