W 10 update 31 Jan 16 grrrrrrrrrr

smedly

anyone else have a seriously disfunctional computer right now, well I suppose if you have you won't be able to reply to this topic

basically mouse and keyboard not responding correctly, I got it working messing arround with Task manager........need a clear head to look at this, system restore did not fix it so they have done something that is throwing a big spanner in the works

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Build 14251 is the latest on mine, and it all works fine. I've updated all but one device, not a problem with any of them, tablets or PCs.

The fact that the OP did a System Restore and it didn't fix the problem is interesting.

What did you do in Task Manager?

Latest update on mine ( yesterday) resulted in Google Chrome being destroyed. Tried removal and re-install, but it just refuses to run.

Try this:

• Right click on the desktop shortcut to Chrome and select Properties.
  • Move to the Shortcut tab and click in the Target field.
  • Type a space at the end of the path that appears in the field followed by --no-sandbox.
  • Hit OK, and use the shortcut to launch Chrome.

If it starts, then Reset Chrome.

Then remove the --no-sandbox option (not recommended for normal use).

I assume this is 32-bit Chrome.

Build 14251 is the latest on mine, and it all works fine. I've updated all but one device, not a problem with any of them, tablets or PCs.

The fact that the OP did a System Restore and it didn't fix the problem is interesting.

You are talking about a preview release I think. The latest version should be 10586.71.

My o/s is still stuck on 10586.36 with downloading updates progress bar stuck on 7% for ever until now. Last time this happened (download never ending - interestingly at 7% also during the big November update) the PC went tits up and I had to get a new ISO build downloaded and installed. I am not hoping for any better service from MS this time either but am always willing to be surprised.

well the complication to all this was that my mouse decided to go faulty this morning lol

But there was an issue with W10 also that complicated the things, a collection of bad timing events happening at once, I have uninstalled the update for now and I'm still testing, will report back shortly, the nice thing is that it only takes about 6 secs to reboot due to the OS sitting on an SSD

ok so everything is working as it should right now, the update that I removed was KB3124262 along with a few MS Visual C++ red updates that all happened when I rebooted this morning, I always keep a full OS system image on ext drive that I refresh once a month so I have completed a fresh image today without the updates

as for system restore, windows 10 works differently to win 7 and a system restore is not always going to be as complete as it was in Win 7, the OS is implemented differently ​

Edited by smedly

You are talking about a preview release I think. The latest version should be 10586.71.

My o/s is still stuck on 10586.36 with downloading updates progress bar stuck on 7% for ever until now. Last time this happened (download never ending - interestingly at 7% also during the big November update) the PC went tits up and I had to get a new ISO build downloaded and installed. I am not hoping for any better service from MS this time either but am always willing to be surprised.

Did you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

Many (ethical hacking sites) are having field

day with Windows 10, if you all think it's the

best operating system ever released,, well,,

ok, live with it,, the (ethical hacking sites) i

read have been picking it to pieces, the more

they pick the worse they find, give it time.

Remember you have 30 days to revert your

system back to the previous operating

system, after that al the files will be deleted.

Apple OS X 10.10.5 on my PC and no problem what so ever :-) Need to use Win 10 before it was released, (depending on a motherboard problem). but luckily fixed now,

so I could go back to Mac OS :-) and free from problems like you guys have :-)

One advice, If your Win version work good, turn off automatic update, and do it manually when you know it's free from problem!

Only a tip from a old Win user.

Did you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

there several updates that had trouble updating, you can look and see the ones that failed to install and download them from MS site and manually install, go to updates and look at the installed updates - those that have failed will be listed, write down the numbers by date download them and do a manual install

open CMD as administrator then run: sfc /scannow

It will find and correct and issues you may have. Alternatively run chkdsk /f and see if it solves your problems

if that was meant for me I have already performed both tasks, but like I said, my system is stable for now, and sfc is run in an admin powershell not cmd

All these suggested fixes for Windows 10 problems. I want a computer that runs virtually trouble-free, not be continually searching for ways to fix bugs. I still have Windows 7 installed and never had a problem with it from the get-go.

My desktop (Win 10 Pro) is still stuck at build 10240, my notebook (Win 10 Home) is 10586.

It seems ages ago that my notebook updated, but wonder if/when MS will ever get around to pushing out a release update to my desktop computer. It keeps getting regular updates, like a Cumulative Update (KB312426) on 18-January-2016.

All these suggested fixes for Windows 10 problems. I want a computer that runs virtually trouble-free, not be continually searching for ways to fix bugs. I still have Windows 7 installed and never had a problem with it from the get-go.

have to agree but there are ways you can cover yourself if you know what you are doing, W7 was superb no other word for it, W10 is challenging at times but it really isn't that bad

I got caught in an unusual situation today where an update occured right when my mouse decided the right button was not going to work anymore - a wired mouse worked ok but that doesn't mean that the software supporting the wireless mouse wasn't somehow corrupted (it happened before), logitec can be tempermental the best of times, lucky enough I have another system (alienware lappy with W10) that I eventually booted up and tried it there, it is 6 months behind the update state of the desktop, lucky enough the mouse failed to work properly on the laptop also without any updates - so faulty mouse

I gave an identicle mouse to a friend when I gave him a spare lappy I had and got that back off him to try and it is working fine

this has been a rather complicated day for me or else I'm getting old lol

My desktop (Win 10 Pro) is still stuck at build 10240, my notebook (Win 10 Home) is 10586.

It seems ages ago that my notebook updated, but wonder if/when MS will ever get around to pushing out a release update to my desktop computer. It keeps getting regular updates, like a Cumulative Update (KB312426) on 18-January-2016.

the huge update was 1511 which was effectively a total reinstall of W10 - I suppose you could sort of call it W10 service pack 2, even on my super fast machine it took quite a while to complete, there were times when it looked like it had stalled

current up to date build is - Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.71) you can download and install updates manually

have to agree but there are ways you can cover yourself if you know what you are doing, W7 was superb no other word for it, W10 is challenging at times but it really isn't that bad

I got caught in an unusual situation today where an update occured right when my mouse decided the right button was not going to work anymore - a wired mouse worked ok but that doesn't mean that the software supporting the wireless mouse wasn't somehow corrupted (it happened before), logitec can be tempermental the best of times, lucky enough I have another system (alienware lappy with W10) that I eventually booted up and tried it there, it is 6 months behind the update state of the desktop, lucky enough the mouse failed to work properly on the laptop also without any updates - so faulty mouse

I gave an identicle mouse to a friend when I gave him a spare lappy I had and got that back off him to try and it is working fine

this has been a rather complicated day for me or else I'm getting old lol

Your particular problem is just another of a myriad that I'm reading about. Doesn't give me any confidence about installing Win 10 at all.

Smedly, you should consider changing to Mac! Seriously!!! It is difficult at first to find your way around, but then you'll ask yourself why you did not take that step earlier. I've been messing with stupid Windows computers professionally, doing web design, back in the late 90s, early 2.000 and let me tell you: The amount of time I lost because of permanent virus infections, reboots, errors, bugs, format Cs, completely messed up drives and motherboards, etc. along with the anger, psychological pain (lost files, lost work) loss of cash, etc. those stupid Windows computers inflicted, can't be put into numbers... If I had to charge for it, I'd say to Microsoft, "Well give me 10 million Baht, and we are even!"

Since I work with Mac, everything runs smoothly, email works, never have to reboot, never had a virus, never lost any files or work at all!!!! It feels like all of your life you have seen only in B/W (Microsoft), and all of a sudden you can see full color in full HD quality (Mac). This is how to describe it best, really!!! I'd never, ever, go back to Microsoft or Windows!!!!

open CMD as administrator then run: sfc /scannow

It will find and correct and issues you may have. Alternatively run chkdsk /f and see if it solves your problems

if that was meant for me I have already performed both tasks, but like I said, my system is stable for now, and sfc is run in an admin powershell not cmd

No, you can simply run CMD as an admin and enter it there.

Not that I think that would solve the problem.

the huge update was 1511 which was effectively a total reinstall of W10 - I suppose you could sort of call it W10 service pack 2, even on my super fast machine it took quite a while to complete, there were times when it looked like it had stalled

current up to date build is - Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.71) you can download and install updates manually

What is 1511? A KB number? A date? How would I (can I) manually download the update to bring me to build 10586?

Smedly, you should consider changing to Mac! Seriously!!! It is difficult at first to find your way around, but then you'll ask yourself why you did not take that step earlier. I've been messing with stupid Windows computers professionally, doing web design, back in the late 90s, early 2.000 and let me tell you: The amount of time I lost because of permanent virus infections, reboots, errors, bugs, format Cs, completely messed up drives and motherboards, etc. along with the anger, psychological pain (lost files, lost work) loss of cash, etc. those stupid Windows computers inflicted, can't be put into numbers... If I had to charge for it, I'd say to Microsoft, "Well give me 10 million Baht, and we are even!"

Since I work with Mac, everything runs smoothly, email works, never have to reboot, never had a virus, never lost any files or work at all!!!! It feels like all of your life you have seen only in B/W (Microsoft), and all of a sudden you can see full color in full HD quality (Mac). This is how to describe it best, really!!! I'd never, ever, go back to Microsoft or Windows!!!!

Strange that I got the same experience you have with mac I got it with windows ever since windows 7. Now windows 10.

I cant believe mac users myself paying top dollar for something they can't upgrade themselves.. want a better VGA card.. ehh not possible.. extra harddisks... again.. not possible.. The only reason mac works is because its restrictive.

The only reason Windows has problems is because it needs to work with so many variations.. but if you have the right computer it works better as a Mac and cheaper and more freedom.

Nope, the cumulative update released 27 Jan/Wed by MS installed fine 28 Jan on my Lenovo laptop. It was one of those updates that require a computer reboot. Then again, not knowing how often you turn on your computer we may be talking a different update.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Download "should I remove it" and remove synaptics or the stupid thing keeps getting downloaded and installed. I had the same problem and there might be a better workaround but that solved it for me

What is 1511? A KB number? A date? How would I (can I) manually download the update to bring me to build 10586?

Think of it as a Service Pack, a major Upgrade. It was released in mid Nov 15. It's large in size...like around 3GB...it almost like reinstalling Windows but it keeps all your apps/settings. Below weblink describes the upgrade well I think even though it was talking to the Windows Insider Preview community.

http://www.askvg.com/windows-10-november-update-threshold-2-available-for-download/

You can either do it either by using the MS Media Creation Tool or grabbing the ISO from MS TechBench. Using the Media Creation Took is probably the easiest for the average user. See below weblinks for info on how to do it...not hard at all. I did it myself in late Nov when I thought I was not going to get the Nov upgrade for some reason, but later MS announced it just being released in stage to users...might take a month or so for everyone to get it. Anyway I downloaded the latest ISO for TechBench and did it that way vs using the MCT...went without a hitch. As always, make a image backup before attempt below to be safe.

http://www.windowscentral.com/use-media-creation-tool-update-windows10

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-windows-10-november-update-1511-manually-media-creation-tool/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench (Be sure to pick the right version to match your current version)

Edited by Pib

I've heard of golf tragics and cricket tragics. Sounds like there are Windows tragics as well. Seriously, why do you guys keep shelling out hard cash for a product which seems to give the majority of users major headaches, when you can get free Linux-based OS for the asking?

A comparison:

Laptop with Ubuntu installed. Bootup time 35 seconds, system updates take about a minute, get them about every two months. Have not had a virus in five years.

Laptop with Windows Vista ( vomit ) upgraded RAM, installed Windows 7. Bootup time 3 minutes 10 seconds. System updates and patches anything up to 30 minutes, get them more than once a week. Three virus infections in 4 years. One was so virulent the only cure was to buy a new hard drive.

I t baffles me how apparently intelligent people persist with a product that has been complete s##t for more than a decade. It reminds of the quote from Santayana,

"Those who do not learn from the lessons of history are condemned to repeat it".

I have absolutly 1000,000,0000% no intention of ever having an apple product ......ever

it is too brand specific for a start and I can give you another 1000 resaons why I wouldn't take one if it was free

sorry for being so blunt about it but - no way my friend

I'll ask again:

Did the OP run the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

read my posts since the OP, I had a mixture of issues primariily my mouse deciding to develope a fault just after the update, my system is now completely updated and working 100%

There are however reports of others having update issues which have generally been resolved or answered by myself and by other posters

Go to an internet cafe, download GWX Control Panel from Ultimate Outsider (http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/), download and install on your system. RTFM (read the manual!!!)

That's your last resort.

Your first resort should have been backing up you system regularly, and creating a disk image of you system drive (usually your C drive if windows) on a monthly basis and creating restore points prior to letting Windows hose your system.

Invest in Norton Ghost 15 (costs money) or try PING (Partimage is Not Ghost) which does disk/partition images and restores. Or look for another disk/partition image open source free program to image your system. If Win 10 hoses your system, you can always restores back using a disk/partition image. The Windows Update service is your friend, and yet with Windows 10 being forced down you throat, it now isn't your friend. Can't live with it, can't live without it. If you install GWX Control Panel, the software will do it's best to stop the Microsoft Machine from Hell from infecting your computer with an unwanted and undesired upgrade. Then start learning how to become your own system administrator on your own computer. Ignorance of your operating system will screw you. MS is not your friend. Start considering Apple (if you are not computer savvy, or Linux if you're willing to learn. Microsoft has become the IBM of the present era. Read up on IBM to find why they lost their market share in the pre-PC era.