Over one million Indians visited Thailand in 2015

webfact

Over one million Indians visited Thailand in 2015
STAFF WRITER

indian-tourists-bangkok.jpg

BANGKOK: -- When we think of tourists in Thailand, the first demographics that come to mind are usually the Chinese on their tour buses, snap-happy Japanese, drunken Brits and solo Western women hoping to ‘find themselves’.

While these stereotypes undoubtedly make up a snapshot of Thailand’s tourism arrivals, we’re underestimating one key demographic: India.

1,068,149 Indians visited the kingdom during 2015, according to statistics from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, demonstrating an 18 percent increase year-on-year. These numbers push the sub-continent into position as Thailand’s sixth largest source market behind local neighbours China, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea and Laos.

Indian visitors generated ‎฿37.46 billion (US$1.05 billion) for Thailand’s economy in 2014 and even more is expected to have been generated during 2015.

Thailand and Bangkok, in particular, have thriving Indian communities that make up an important part of the multi-cultural fabric of the country. Take a look at Shayan Naveed’s guide to being Desi in Bangkok if you’re keen on experiencing some of Bangkok’s rich Indian culture.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/over-one-million-indians-visited-thailand-in-2015/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-02-01

And a significant proportion of them seem to be in fron of me in immigration queues ( with incomplete forms, no pens, and vast numbers of children)

Then plenty of then go to their hotels to be arrogant and demanding to the Thai staff

Edited by scorecard

What amazes me is seeing large numbers of them, mostly grown men as the population gender is warped, wandering around Safari World zoo park? I can see the attraction of this place to young children, but cannot understand it with grown ups. I had to show my kids the park once so thought I'd take them and decide for themselves.

We sometimes accuse the Thai of being irrational, agressive,layabouts, etc they and the Indian display

the same type of habits and dedication to hard work.

The Indian might have a edge on pressure sales of custom made clothing and can normally understand English. They are credited with speaking same but that is debateable as to it being understood by others.

The Indians have a reputation for traveling "on the cheap". Let's go to the calculator.

Per the OP, 1 million tourists spent about 1 billion USD. That's about $1,000 each.

Previous reports show average tourist spending in Thailand around 50,000 THB per visitor, which is $1,400 each.

So it does look like the reputation is still intact.

There's something rather odd about this picture. It almost seems to be a photo of a group of westerners and a few Asians dressed up as Rajahs and Indian princes wearing sherwanis or similar at a photo shoot.

I can't see any saris or any corpulent Indian ladies. I may be wrong.

Perhaps someone with Indian experience and knowledge can offer a comment.

The elephant is obviously borrowed from the turban transit system.

There's something rather odd about this picture. It almost seems to be a photo of a group of westerners and a few Asians dressed up as Rajahs and Indian princes wearing sherwanis or similar at a photo shoot.

I can't see any saris or any corpulent Indian ladies. I may be wrong.

Perhaps someone with Indian experience and knowledge can offer a comment.

The elephant is obviously borrowed from the turban transit system.

Totally agree ,plus it looks more like a stag party

I would accept the arrivals figure, because that is verifiable from Immigration records.

How is the expenditure figure arrived at, though, as there are no established sources

from which figures can be collated. Surely it amounts to a thumb-suck by the

Ministry?

The average expenditure of USD $ 1000.00 per individual equates to, say, $ 5000.00

per family (on average), or more than 3 times the per capita income in India (2014

figure is $ 1641.00 per capita).

Together with the costs of airfares which they would all have had to pay, and which

would have been burdensome, I believe that the total local expenditure figure mentioned

in the OP is very possibly on the high side.

However, from what I have seen at Suvarnabhumi, a large part of the expenditure by

departing Indians has been on flat-screen TV's!

They spent a grand total 2,112,750 thb between them..

Not only.... can you guess what a full-blown Indian wedding ceremony costs? And they have one a week at Holiday Inn Silom. Go for a walk any day between Chong Nonsi and Surasak past the Hindu temple. Yes the Indians do not waste their money on tips and supporting the local restaurants, taxis, tour guides. They spend it on themselves.