Phuket police struggle to identify dead foreigner

webfact

Phuket police struggle to identify dead foreigner
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET:-- Dysfunctional CCTV cameras in the area where a foreigner was killed after allegedly jumping in front of a bus on Wednesday have left police clueless.

“We had hoped to find CCTV footage showing where the man had come from so that we could identify him and track down his relatives or friends. However, we came up empty handed,” Maj Pattapee Srichai of the Patong Police told the Phuket Gazette. “At this stage, we can only hope that someone recognizes him from the picture and steps forward with more information.”

Police requested that the photo of the dead man's face be published in hopes that someone will recognize him and step forward to identify the body.

*warning! graphic image*
For image click here Photo: Patong Police

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-police-struggle-identify-dead-foreigner/63035?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-01

They photograph everyone at the airport passport control, can't the police just use image recognition technology or whatever.

No, no, let's upload a mugshot of a corpse to a major newspaper article.

The good folks at the Phuket Gazette will be very pleased to hear that they publish "a major newspaper".biggrin.png

The chip in my Swiss passport has a copy of the prints of my two index fingers. If Thai immigration does not store this information in their database, why don't they?

In the case of this dead foreigner, it would certainly help to identify him if immigration had a copy of the data on his passport chip. Has the local police even thought about that?

They photograph everyone at the airport passport control, can't the police just use image recognition technology or whatever.

Maybe they did check airport pictures, maybe he didn't enter at an airport, as a head-shaver and beard-grower maybe he wasn't easily identified.

If the picture published by a small local rag upset you so much why did you click on the link after seeing a very obvious "graphic picture" warning? Seems to me to be a good way to try to identify him particularly as the picture was not at all gruesome.

The chip in my Swiss passport has a copy of the prints of my two index fingers. If Thai immigration does not store this information in their database, why don't they?

In the case of this dead foreigner, it would certainly help to identify him if immigration had a copy of the data on his passport chip. Has the local police even thought about that?

Did it occur to you that he may not have been Swiss?

My chipped passport doesn't have my fingerprints recorded.

...'allegedly jumping'....they have still not investigated.....???

...are they waiting to see if they might not have to if nobody comes forward....???

...shocking.......

The newspaper link confirms that the incident was investigated and the details confirmed by witnesses, its shocking that you missed that point...

"The man walked into the road, but Mr Somkhit switched lanes in order to avoid hitting him. However, the man allegedly jumped in front of the bus as it was passing him.

“Mr Somkhit’s story was also corroborated by witnesses on the bus,” said Maj Pattapee. "

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

Would you want Thai immigration, or any immigration for that matter, to store that information in their database?

Maybe they did check airport pictures, maybe he didn't enter at an airport, as a head-shaver and beard-grower maybe he wasn't easily identified.

If the picture published by a small local rag upset you so much why did you click on the link after seeing a very obvious "graphic picture" warning? Seems to me to be a good way to try to identify him particularly as the picture was not at all gruesome.

The graphic warning is only on this thread on Thaivisa, anyone opening the Phuket Gazette doesn't get warned.

It doesn't upset me, it just seems ridiculous that they can't find out who he is some other way.

Firstly R.I.P.

Ha ha ha what country is this? Facial recognition? If only they knew how to work something like that then there would be no need to ask interpol for help with all criminals that enter this country.

Any plausible explanations as to why all the cameras were dysfunctional ? Also, without disputing the story, surely the only witnesses on the bus that could have seen the incident unfold as reported. would have to have been sitting alongside the driver.

This bloke is a mate of a mate, he was UK Expat, English. Unfortunately I can not remember his name. I know he has lived in the Patong area for several years and was a mate of Dave, who was a well known figure from Bar69 (facing Tai-pan) Sea Dragon Bar (Soi Sea Dragon) and before that Q Bar/Love Shack under Tiger. Anyone who drank in these bars will know who I mean by Dave - he has now had to go back to UK with ill health problems after years in Patong.

This poor bloke was always well spoken and in control when ever I bumped into him on a night out in company in bars around Bangla.

R I P

This bloke is a mate of a mate, he was UK Expat, English. Unfortunately I can not remember his name. I know he has lived in the Patong area for several years and was a mate of Dave, who was a well known figure from Bar69 (facing Tai-pan) Sea Dragon Bar (Soi Sea Dragon) and before that Q Bar/Love Shack under Tiger. Anyone who drank in these bars will know who I mean by Dave - he has now had to go back to UK with ill health problems after years in Patong.

This poor bloke was always well spoken and in control when ever I bumped into him on a night out in company in bars around Bangla.

R I P

Are the authorities informed of this information?

R I P

Are the authorities informed of this information?

Exactly - best you contact your nearest police station.

Did it occur to you that he may not have been Swiss?

My chipped passport doesn't have my fingerprints recorded.

There appears to be an international standard about what must be on the chip.

Biometric passport

A biometric passport, also known as an e-passport, ePassport or a digital passport, is a combined paper and electronic passport that contains biometric information that can be used to authenticate the identity of travelers.

The currently standardized biometrics used for this type of identification system are facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport